Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PETA Germany Raps BF3

PETA Germany has issued a statement (in German) decrying the ability to kill animals in Battlefield 3, specifying an incident where the player stabs a rat with a combat knife. They mention the (according to our translation) "brutalizing" effect this can have on the game's "young male target audience" (Battlefield 3 is rating USK 18 in Germany), and note that cruelty to animals has been shown to lead to violence toward people. It seems this ignores that the game itself is centered around violence toward other people. Thanks James via BF3Blog.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 8, 2011, 10:00 Jonny

Rhino wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 20:28:
Jonny wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 18:47:
Really, these people need to be rounded up and dropped in some wilderness village somewhere, see how Vegan they stay when they don't know where the next meal is coming from.

That doesn't make much sense. Drop them in a place where they don't have a choice and see if they remain Vegan? Most wouldn't, that goes without saying. However, they DO have a choice, so they make that choice. By removing choice you could replace "vegan" with anything and still use that sentence. "Let's see how much those bookworms still love their precious books if we drop them in a remote village where there aren't any and they have to get their entertainment elsewhere!"

As a vegetarian I can say that my level of health spiked up dramatically after dropping meats; and while this isn't to say that meat is inherently unhealthy (there are studies out there to read on that subject if you care enough to do so) my family and I are living proof that meat is almost completely unnecessary. You just need to plan ahead to be certain that you are putting suitable replacement foods into your diet to account for the change in eating habits.

My point was that they can make that choice purely because the society we live in allows them to make that lifestyle choice. As far as I'm concerned anyone is perfectly entitled to eat any diet they like, it's none of my business. However when they make it an ethical issue then I'd say to them they're doing it because it's easy and if they ever had to choose between eating an animal or starving, I'm guessing most would chow down along with everyone else.

Making an ethical stand is easy to do when it's easy, was the root of my comment.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 8, 2011, 03:16 theyarecomingforyou

Rhino wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 20:28:
As a vegetarian I can say that my level of health spiked up dramatically after dropping meats; and while this isn't to say that meat is inherently unhealthy (there are studies out there to read on that subject if you care enough to do so) my family and I are living proof that meat is almost completely unnecessary. You just need to plan ahead to be certain that you are putting suitable replacement foods into your diet to account for the change in eating habits.
"Blah, blah, blah... I'm a hippy... blah, blah, blah." I object on principle to being a vegetarian, primarily because I find the majority of vegetarians I've encountered to be pretentious pricks. Sure there must be many that aren't but I find that vegetarians tend to be very arrogant and very forceful of their beliefs. Vegetarianism is verging on a religion and groups like PETA demonstrates the extremes.

I happily eat rabbit, lamb, boar, duck, kangaroo, and veal and have absolutely no guilt for doing so. But I'm also just as happy eating hummus, vegetable soup, breads, porridge and root veg. I have a normal, balanced diet and won't apologise for it. Which reminds me, pork and cider sausages for dinner tonight... yum, yum.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

40. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 8, 2011, 01:39 DarkCntry

entr0py wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 22:54:
While I feel sorry for the imaginary rat, he was a bit of a dick.

Proof that the rat is more than a big dick? Don't kill it and see what happens, especially 'right before you die.'

39. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 22:54 entr0py

I remember that scene. What struck me about it was how it was obviously not the character's first choice to kill the rat. He spent quite a bit of time trying to shoo it away or discourage it, and only stabbed it once the squeaking got so loud that would reveal his position.

While I feel sorry for the imaginary rat, he was a bit of a dick. Oh, and I also feel sorry for the 500 Russians and Arabs I killed over the course of the game. I guess.

38. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 22:10 tuddies

deqer wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 21:15:
I just kill the rat because I wanted to see if the programmers coded that part.

This will never transform into me doing that in RL. I can't even hurt a fly anymore, because it's a creature with feelings. But I will kill a mosquito.

You have it backwards! Flies don't have feelings, mosquitoes do!

37. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 22:08 tuddies

I've also heard reports that some TREES get blown up! This is an outrage! Why can't we have a game where the winner is determined by oragami skill and not destroying imaginary things on the computer screen?

Thank you, PETA, for being awesome! I am going to call all of the pest-control businesses in the phone book and tell them that they are doing it wrong.

36. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 21:34 Overon

All I can say is that PETA goes too far. However, there are ways to limit the suffering of animals and I would consider it ethical to do so.

With comments like that from PETA, they really give the impression of being zealots and caring more about non human animals than humans.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2011, 21:47.

35. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 21:15 deqer

I just kill the rat because I wanted to see if the programmers coded that part.

This will never transform into me doing that in RL. I can't even hurt a fly anymore, because it's a creature with feelings. But I will kill a mosquito.

34. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 21:14 eunichron

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/  

33. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 20:56 Cutter

We're omnivores. We function best in balance with vegetation and animal protein and fat. Most, if not all, problems with meat today is related to the quality of the meat - whcih from the big biz feedlot corps is abyssmal to say the least. Check out what farms like White Oaks are doing. All natural, grass-fed, hormone free animals raised on the serengheti model, slaughtered very humanely and in small numbers. This is how we're suppsoed to eat.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

32. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 20:49 Hump

Joss wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 18:32:
Hump wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 17:52:
..but killing a fucking digital dog deserves a press release...
See that? Information just broke down in less than two pages.

I'm notorious for reading a headline, making assumptions and becoming a self-righteous asshole about something that isn't even on-topic.

My name is Hump. Pleased to meet you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

31. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 20:28 Rhino

Jonny wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 18:47:
Really, these people need to be rounded up and dropped in some wilderness village somewhere, see how Vegan they stay when they don't know where the next meal is coming from.

That doesn't make much sense. Drop them in a place where they don't have a choice and see if they remain Vegan? Most wouldn't, that goes without saying. However, they DO have a choice, so they make that choice. By removing choice you could replace "vegan" with anything and still use that sentence. "Let's see how much those bookworms still love their precious books if we drop them in a remote village where there aren't any and they have to get their entertainment elsewhere!"

30. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 19:52 Dev

There's one thing I like about PETA. How they have some actresses undress  

29. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 19:49 panbient

There are only two times when i feel the need to be cruel to animals; 1) when I, as a non-pet owner, am faced with the necessity of handling its poop. 2) whenever I'm faced with PETA.  

28. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 19:04 ASeven

Their campaign where they compared chickens farms to the Holocaust was their top in lunacy. That they still exist is criminal by itself.  

27. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 18:47 Jonny

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 15:46:
I'm a PETA member. People for Eating Tasty Animals.

Heh, the other day I saw a "Go Vegan" ad where they had a picture of a dog and a pig and the caption reads "Why love one animal and eat another?" And I'm thinking, 'Does someone really need to explain why this is the case, not just with people but other animals as well?' Hey bud, the universe is a violent place and something always has to die so that something else can live. Sucks, huh? Get a fucking helmet.

They really come out with shit like that? I thought trophic levels were high school biology?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trophic_level

Basically eating an animal that needs to be fed on animals, like a dog, is ridiculously inefficient and only makes sense in places with a serious lack of protein sources. Whereas herbivores and true omnivores like pigs that can be raised on vegetable matter are an order of magnitude more efficient.

Also some, like horses and dogs, are valuable more for their service than their meat. Really, these people need to be rounded up and dropped in some wilderness village somewhere, see how Vegan they stay when they don't know where the next meal is coming from.

26. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 18:32 Joss

Hump wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 17:52:
..but killing a fucking digital dog deserves a press release...
See that? Information just broke down in less than two pages.

25. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 18:01 bawaga

PETA are nothing more than trolls looking for attention and $$$. The less we respond, the better.  

24. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 17:52 Hump

Lets see, 1/3rd of Africa is dying due to famine, a huge earthquake just hit Turkey(?) killing many, Japan is still a mess, brutal poverty on every continent on the planet...... but killing a fucking digital dog deserves a press release and action by these "volunteers".

I'm eating an extra helping of meat tonight just to spite these assholes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

23. Re: PETA Germany Raps BF3 Nov 7, 2011, 17:47 Tusker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9ijLulwUTY

That is all.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo