Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview

The official website for Star Wars: The Old Republic now offers details on early access being offered to those who pre-order BioWare's sci-fi MMORPG. Additionally, the site also now hosts a new trailer showing Imperial Agent character progression with the following description: "Through stealth, cunning, guile and their discretionary use of violence, the Imperial Agent is tasked with performing the most sensitive and secretive assignments for the Sith Empire." Finally there is also a preview of Revan, a novel to be released on November 15th that "answers surrounding the mystery of what became of the redeemed Jedi Revan after the events of the first Knights of the Old Republic." The preview consists of chapters three and eleven, which was probably Jar-Jar's idea. Back to the first element of this story, here are the details on early access:

Early Game Access is staggered over five days to ensure a quality experience for players at launch. Staggering access aids server stability and a gradual increase in player population through the game. Early Game Access will be granted according to when your Pre-Order Code is redeemed at the Code Redemption Center. If you have not yet pre-ordered Star Wars: The Old Republic, there’s still time! Visit our Pre-Order page for more information and watch the Collector’s Edition Unboxing video for a peek inside this highly coveted edition of the game.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview Nov 6, 2011, 22:41 RollinThundr

Prez wrote on Nov 6, 2011, 14:53:
So will this game avoid needing to go F2P like WOW has? It seems very few games can pull it off.

Just wondering - no chance in the world of me playing this given my hatred of all things MMO. Still wanting KOTOR 3...

Doubt it, for awhile anyway, the license will keep people for a bit and if Bioware is smart (which I doubt given all the shitty DA2 and ME3 design decisions) content will be plentiful. Still though I totally see Bioware becoming the next Westwood/Bullfrog/Origin in a few years.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview Nov 6, 2011, 14:53 Prez

So will this game avoid needing to go F2P like WOW has? It seems very few games can pull it off.

Just wondering - no chance in the world of me playing this given my hatred of all things MMO. Still wanting KOTOR 3...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview Nov 6, 2011, 13:56 RollinThundr

IQ wrote on Nov 5, 2011, 23:54:
Of course presumably you can make an origin account on the website without having to download anything. But if you need an account the game must verify stuff, so it probably comes with Origin build in.

Not getting this game if it requires the origin spyware.

The game doesn't require orgin at all. Just an EA account. spyware.. lol some of you guys are so ridiculous.

24. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview Nov 6, 2011, 12:31 Lokust

given it's coming out in the time of year that I least anticipate having time to play an MMO, I'm fine with letting everyone else go first so that by the time the new year rolls around and I have time to play, the first bugfix patch will have been released.  

23. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview Nov 6, 2011, 01:33 saluk

Nomaar wrote on Nov 5, 2011, 22:16:
WyldKa wrote on Nov 5, 2011, 17:15:
That's why I highly doubt this project will last more than a couple years. Sure you can play each class and see its story but without compelling gameplay it won't hold the interest of most of its players. Especially those who have come from MMOs that have highly polished gameplay like WoW, Rift, or the upcoming GW2.

Care to put any money on that? Even SWG lasted longer than two years, and it didn't have anywhere near the pre-launch fanbase of SWTOR.

Most of the beta testers I know can't wait for the launch, and most of them are ex-WoW players. I frankly don't see the "stiffness" some people complain about when I watch SWTOR pvp game-action videos. When I think "stiff," I think of Warhammer Online.

I fail to see how the gameplay is less polished than the mentioned games. It's almost exactly the same. The reason an mmo will fail or succeed has almost nothing to do with whether the gameplay is good or not, and almost everything to do with how well the content is, with regard to quantity and pacing (and to a lesser extent quality).

It's pretty hard to judge any of the things that are good indicators of an mmo's success or failure before it launches.

I mean, I'm not a huge fan of TOR or very interested in it. I'll wait to see what my friends say, but I'm more interested in TSW and GW2, which feel like they are at least trying to break the mold a bit.

But I really don't think there's been anything shown so far to make you jump to such a conclusion. I don't think many people expected Rift to last as long as it has.

22. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview Nov 6, 2011, 00:20 entr0py

IQ wrote on Nov 5, 2011, 23:54:
Of course presumably you can make an origin account on the website without having to download anything. But if you need an account the game must verify stuff, so it probably comes with Origin build in.

No, logging in (verifying your account) is handled only through the SW:TOR client. You need an EA account for billing, and all EA accounts were recently renamed Origin accounts. But that's just how they've rebranded their account and the billing website, it shouldn't be confused with the Origin software.

It's just like any other MMO where you have one username and password for the forums, and another linked username and password for billing. It's safer that way.

21. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview Nov 6, 2011, 00:19 fujiJuice

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 5, 2011, 20:02:
fujiJuice wrote on Nov 5, 2011, 19:55:
Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 5, 2011, 15:26:
I like the early access deal. Since I preordered the CE, I can play for a week before needing a code. If I don't like the game, I can return or sell my unopened CE for profit!

You need to enter your code to get early access, I got my code immediately from Amazon when I ordered. So if you haven't done that you should soon, according to this announcement, if you want more time to play ahead of release.

I can cancel my order before the item actually ships but I can't transfer ownership without handing over my Origin account. So selling an unopened CE for profit won't be a possibility unless you use a throwaway Origin account as you would need to transfer that to the buyer.

YOU DO NOT NEED ORIGIN FOR THIS GAME.

Then why did my SWTOR.com account become an Origin account when I entered my pre-order code? Because it is tied to an Origin account that is why. Like others have said you may not need to run Origin at the same time, but I assure it is tied to Origin, I can even see it on my Origin account when I log into it, even though I purchased it on Amazon. Take it easy.

20. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview Nov 5, 2011, 23:54 IQ

19. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview Nov 5, 2011, 23:34 Acleacius

0 bytes wrote on Nov 5, 2011, 18:28:
You won't need to use Origin according to Stephen Reid, SWTOR Senior Online Community Manager.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will not require the Origin desktop application to download, patch or play the game, regardless of whether the game was originally purchased through Origin or at a retail outlet.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8488436
Thanks 0 bytes, that's great news, I hope is true.

Look at this the Official FAQs, this is all I've seen till you posted your forum link (here's hoping yours is the current/correct infos )

Will I require an Origin account in addition to a SWTOR account?
Yes, you will require an active Origin account in addition to a Star Wars: The Old Republic account. You can create a new Origin account by going to the Origin Account Registration page, entering your email address in the appropriate space and clicking “Start my EA Profile.” This will take you to a screen where you can create your EA Master ID and set your password. You can also start a new Origin account by logging in with either your Facebook or PlayStation Network accounts, or by downloading and running the Origin client for the first time.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

18. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview Nov 5, 2011, 22:16 Nomaar

WyldKa wrote on Nov 5, 2011, 17:15:
That's why I highly doubt this project will last more than a couple years. Sure you can play each class and see its story but without compelling gameplay it won't hold the interest of most of its players. Especially those who have come from MMOs that have highly polished gameplay like WoW, Rift, or the upcoming GW2.

Care to put any money on that? Even SWG lasted longer than two years, and it didn't have anywhere near the pre-launch fanbase of SWTOR.

Most of the beta testers I know can't wait for the launch, and most of them are ex-WoW players. I frankly don't see the "stiffness" some people complain about when I watch SWTOR pvp game-action videos. When I think "stiff," I think of Warhammer Online.

17. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview Nov 5, 2011, 21:06 Teddy

http://www.swtor.com/info/faq#170974

Will I require an Origin account in addition to a SWTOR account?

Yes, you will require an active Origin account in addition to a Star Wars: The Old Republic account. You can create a new Origin account by going to the Origin Account Registration page, entering your email address in the appropriate space and clicking “Start my EA Profile.” This will take you to a screen where you can create your EA Master ID and set your password. You can also start a new Origin account by logging in with either your Facebook or PlayStation Network accounts, or by downloading and running the Origin client for the first time.

The "You do not need origin" simply means you don't need the application running. You still need the account and any purchases or bonuses that are tied to that account remain so.

16. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview Nov 5, 2011, 21:04 jacobvandy

ONLY 5 days (or less) early access is pretty crappy, but I don't know what else I was expecting from EA... At least that will give me a chance to try out the game before I actually receive my CE from Amazon. If it doesn't blow me away, that baby's going on eBay just in time for Christmas.  

15. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview Nov 5, 2011, 20:52 jamiedj99

i like the part where places are still over selling the CE becuaes they hope that EA/Bioware will produce more copies. giving the dumb masses the idea they will get a hard copy. EA origin digital CE editions sold out in less then a hour. dont expect to get a ce now for less then 1000 bucks making the unboxing a joke and almost makes me want to go down to bioware with a gun  

14. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview Nov 5, 2011, 20:52 Agent.X7

I like the early access deal. Since I preordered the CE, I can play for a week before needing a code. If I don't like the game, I can return or sell my unopened CE for profit!

You need to enter your code to get early access, I got my code immediately from Amazon when I ordered. So if you haven't done that you should soon, according to this announcement, if you want more time to play ahead of release.

I can cancel my order before the item actually ships but I can't transfer ownership without handing over my Origin account. So selling an unopened CE for profit won't be a possibility unless you use a throwaway Origin account as you would need to transfer that to the buyer.

Yeah, the only thing that wouldn't transfer with the CE to a new owner would be the pre-order benefits, which they wouldn't get anyway because they didn't pre-order themselves. The pre-order code is not tied to the code to activate the game.

And I activated my code back in July, on the first day the CE was available for pre-order.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

13. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview Nov 5, 2011, 20:02 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

12. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview Nov 5, 2011, 19:55 fujiJuice

11. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview Nov 5, 2011, 19:21 Fion

0 bytes wrote on Nov 5, 2011, 18:28:
Acleacius wrote on Nov 5, 2011, 17:15:
If I ever try it, I'll be booting up on an isolated hard drive, virgin OS and new email (rarely if ever, checked) to avoid origin issues. Heard others were going to try to Sandbox origin, hope it works.

You won't need to use Origin according to Stephen Reid, SWTOR Senior Online Community Manager.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will not require the Origin desktop application to download, patch or play the game, regardless of whether the game was originally purchased through Origin or at a retail outlet.

That is 'really' good to know.

10. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview Nov 5, 2011, 19:05 Sempai

The new build in beta is promising but they still have a lot of work to ahead of them to make Dec 20th a good day.

It's sad to say that each class appears to be mirrored, even talent trees appear to be exactly the same.

Trooper=Bounty hunter
Jedi Consular=Sith Inquisitor
Smuggler=Imperial Agent
Jedi Knight=Sith Warrior

So you have 4 classes on each side which can spec into 2 different specializations each, and their evil counterpart is exactly the same, except for naming and spell effects.

It's a warhammer type design(which I'm not a fan of)all with the intent to balance PVP..

So basically you 4 mirrored classes that have the same watered down skill sets so they can keep PVP in check. Atleast that's what I'm getting from all of this.

It's not all doom and gloom I guess, I am enjoying the game and it's story driven missions but it is a bit depressing to find out your evil bad ass, lightning throwing Sith is really just a Jedi Sage in a scary robe.

The environments are well done and the world is coming together nicely but this new build is also extremely buggy.
I'm hoping the best for Bioware because 1. I'm bored to death of WoW, and 2. They're gonna need it.

9. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview Nov 5, 2011, 18:28 Killswitch

If I ever try it, I'll be booting up on an isolated hard drive, virgin OS and new email (rarely if ever, checked) to avoid origin issues. Heard others were going to try to Sandbox origin, hope it works.

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2011, 18:35.

8. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Details; Trailer; Novel Preview Nov 5, 2011, 18:07 WyldKat

WyldKat wrote on Nov 5, 2011, 16:58:
The gameplay is really that stiff......Bioware can do a good story but they don't have the faintest idea of how to make the gameplay actually fun in a hotkey MMO.
True, when replaying their older titles like Jade Empire I'm there for the story and acting, not the gameplay.

It will be strange to be playing a mmog for the story and acting, not the gameplay. Confused If I ever try it, I'll be booting up on an isolated hard drive, virgin OS and new email (rarely if ever, checked) to avoid origin issues. Heard others were going to try to Sandbox origin, hope it works.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo