Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

LEGO Universe to Close

LEGO Universe will close its blocky plastic doors as of January 31, 2012, reports Gamasutra, which is just 15 months after launch (though it seems this is not yet note on the website of the toy-based MMORPG). They have a statement form the LEGO Group explaining: "In spite of very positive player feedback and a large number of players in the free play zone, it has not been possible to convert a satisfactory number of players to paying subscribers." Oddly, a welcome back weekend is now underway for former players of the game.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: LEGO Universe to Close Nov 6, 2011, 08:04 Kawlisse

my kid is going to be sad, he loved that game.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: LEGO Universe to Close Nov 5, 2011, 17:22 CommunistHamster

Minecraft is for structures. If they'd gone for a vehicle based approach (if you made lego houses as a kid, I'm afraid you had a critical lack of imagination, the cool dudes were building spaceships and 64 wheeled rocket powered helicopter tanks) they might have garnered the AFOL market too.  

14. Re: LEGO Universe to Close Nov 5, 2011, 14:42 saluk

Charge money for bricks, make it desirable for kids to invite other kids to their worlds to see what they've built, and add a disco with a ton of selectable music so they will want to have parties. Watch the money come flowing in as the kids try and build better party houses. I can't believe they thought a subscription was the way to go here lol.  

13. Re: RE: Follow up Nov 5, 2011, 09:59 UConnBBall

They just need to change their business model. If club penguin can make millions this really cool game should make possibly more.  

12. Re: LEGO Universe to Close Nov 5, 2011, 09:57 Cutter

Lego my eggo!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

11. Re: LEGO Universe to Close Nov 5, 2011, 08:23 Moog

They just had way too little content to justify a sub.

I had enjoyed the various lego games of recent years and so grabbed LU soon after launch and finished it, completely, bar some ridiculous grinding achievements, in 3 evenings!

10. Re: LEGO Universe to Close Nov 5, 2011, 06:44 Dev

As is not uncommon with MMOs, devs shouldn't make them thinking they will get WoW type numbers. They need to develop them and design them such that they can survive with a far lower number of customers. I know family whose 9 year old son has asked for lego subscription cards for his gifts since this came out, so I know that some people pay for it.

My guess is that lego thought that their brand name alone would get millions of paying customs.

9. Re: LEGO Universe to Close Nov 5, 2011, 03:43 Lorcin

Blackhawk wrote on Nov 5, 2011, 02:07:
Lego Universe is targeted at kids the same age as my own. The very same kids who play Roblox, with 100 times the content, for free. My kids tried LU. It never drew them in - there was far to little freedom and actual building, and far to much running in circles hitting enemies. They played for two or three days, then went right back to Roblox.

Totally agree - got it for my son last christmas. I made an account too so I could help him when he got stuck. After 3 evenings of very little play I'd maxxed my character! No content at all - shame because it was quite a nice game.

8. Re: LEGO Universe to Close Nov 5, 2011, 02:22 WyldKat

The game might have survived as a box only purchase. The game was TOO concerned with appealing to under 10 year olds that it neglected teen, young adult, and adult LEGO fans that would have loved to see a "Second Life in LEGO" type of game. The actual game was basically an oversimplified version of the console Lego action/adventure games without any of the charm or licensing.

As for actual building you were limited to teeny little parcels building static structures. I guess I was expecting freedom to build flying machines ala Garry's Mod or other vehicles.

As others have said, most of us are quite content building things in Minecraft.

Good riddance.

7. Re: LEGO Universe to Close Nov 5, 2011, 02:07 Blackhawk

Lego Universe is targeted at kids the same age as my own. The very same kids who play Roblox, with 100 times the content, for free. My kids tried LU. It never drew them in - there was far to little freedom and actual building, and far to much running in circles hitting enemies. They played for two or three days, then went right back to Roblox.  

6. Re: LEGO Universe to Close Nov 5, 2011, 01:41 Ant

I haven't tried it. Is it worth checking out? Is there even a free sampler?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

5. Re: LEGO Universe to Close Nov 5, 2011, 00:43 ZeroCougar

Well the idea of the Lego MMO is fine. One of the main problems is everybody who would actually want a Lego MMO, are playing on Minecraft, solo or servers.

Granted it lacks the polish of the Lego MMO. But you pay the entry fee to Minecraft and you unlock all the server's and you can download a whole bunch of interesting mods.

I think the Lego MMO missed the idea of KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. Which is where Minecraft and the couple games like it, excel.

- That's a very nice everything you have there... ssssssssSSSSSSSSSSS -

4. Re: LEGO Universe to Close Nov 5, 2011, 00:41 Frijoles

I played the beta. It was fun for a while, but I couldn't see it lasting. Certainly not enough to pay a monthly fee for it. Too bad they can't do something to keep the free area around.  

3. Re: LEGO Universe to Close Nov 4, 2011, 23:01 Kitkoan

From what I've heard, this was marketed to young kids which makes me not surprised that it couldn't convert enough people to paying subscribers. This isn't the market for paying customers, young adults and up tend to be the ones that pay from what I've heard (since they tend to hold a credit card and less time to grind for the objects, unlike teens and children).  

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

2. Re: LEGO Universe to Close Nov 4, 2011, 22:56 Keith

It actually sounded kind of cool to me. I never tried it because it looked like it was targeted at grade schoolers. That just seemed like I wouldn't be able to build a rocket car and launch it into Mrs. Nesbit's House for Orphans.  

1. Re: LEGO Universe to Close Nov 4, 2011, 22:53 Wolfen

This does not surprise me one bit.  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo