Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer

He have a new trailer to show off Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6 Patriots, the just-announced next edition in the tactical shooter series. As is noted in its introduction, the clip is not actual gameplay, but rather a clip "created over a year ago to illustrate the creative vision for the game." The somewhat disturbing clip is safeguarded by our loveable, but gullible, virtual bouncer.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 5, 2011, 19:02 siapnar

Why anyone would think 'interactive' cutscenes is a good idea is beyond me (especially in an FPS).

Do ANY of you guys enjoy pressing a button during a cutscene when prompted?
Does anyone at all?
Stupidest fucking "gameplay" mechanic every introduced, as far as I'm concerned.

Picture your favourite games that are packed with great cinematics. Now imagine pressing a button every 10 or so seconds, and if you don't, the scene is either paused, or restarts because you didn't and therefore failed.
Oh man... terrible.

TheLeech wrote on Nov 5, 2011, 13:29:
By the way, does anyone else's significant other answer the door in sexy-time clothes?
Yeah, I lost all faith in the video after that happened... although I didn't have much faith as soon as I saw the first button press prompt.

I have projectile dysfunction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 5, 2011, 14:00  Blue 

TheLeech wrote on Nov 5, 2011, 13:29:
The least those jerks could have done was shoot the poor bastard in the head before pushing him off the bridge.

Dead man's switch, remember?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

24. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 5, 2011, 13:29 TheLeech

The least those jerks could have done was shoot the poor bastard in the head before pushing him off the bridge.

And the throwaway line about his family being OK, heh, sure guy, you have no idea who I am, but you've somehow already rescued my wife and daughter?

By the way, does anyone else's significant other answer the door in sexy-time clothes?

23. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 5, 2011, 10:29 ^Drag0n^

Flatline wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 22:21:
Overon wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 22:01:
Wow what a ridiculous scenario. It's like they have watched too many 24 episodes.

Exactly. It isn't "mature", it's juvenile.

Ah, ok. And spitting on someone or wishing them a violent death because they didn't design a game the way you wanted it to be made IS mature.

I get it.

Completely.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

22. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 5, 2011, 09:53 ^Drag0n^

Teddy wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 19:17:
We have 3rd person cover mechanics AGAIN after the abysmal failure of the last two R6 games that tried it.

I'm prefacing what I say by first saying it is not an endorsement nor a criticism of the game, but you really need to check the numbers. The "Rainbow Six Vegas" games were the best sellers in the franchise. Period.

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2011, 10:05.

21. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 5, 2011, 04:28 zirik

Jerykk wrote on Nov 5, 2011, 03:57:
I don't think Tom Clancy has anything to do with this game. In fact, I don't think his writing has been used for any of the games since the original R6.

yeah i think he sold the right to use his name to ubisoft a while back. they just slap his name on anything and it will sell like hotcakes.

20. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 5, 2011, 03:57 Jerykk

I don't think Tom Clancy has anything to do with this game. In fact, I don't think his writing has been used for any of the games since the original R6.  

19. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 5, 2011, 02:59 Mead

Taskeen wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 20:41:
I hope the Rainbow 6 team dies for furthering fascist agenda's and the patriots win back corrupt AmeriKa. Tom Clancy's premise for stories are ffin' stupid and he's a friggin loony bat. In fact, he thinks protesting and dissenting is "UnAmerican," when in fact that's the most god damn American thing there is.
Unless it's the Tea ParKKKty, right?

18. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 4, 2011, 23:47 Jerykk

Yikes. I sincerely hope that the game's vision has changed significantly since this mockup was made. Completely linear, completely scripted, "interactive" cutscenes that consist of occasional button prompts and a meaningless moral "choice" where you can choose one option or die.

Sadly, the fact that they are showing this video to the public likely means that the game's direction hasn't changed at all.

17. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 4, 2011, 22:21 Flatline

Overon wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 22:01:
Wow what a ridiculous scenario. It's like they have watched too many 24 episodes.

Exactly. It isn't "mature", it's juvenile.

16. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 4, 2011, 22:01 Overon

15. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 4, 2011, 21:48 Akuinnen

Oh the shocking plot twists..

Who comes up with these terrible schlock plots and then beats us about the head with it?

Ubi seems hard at work degrading Rainbow 6 into the next Generic FPS just like they did with Ghost Recon.

14. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 4, 2011, 21:33 Teddy

Taskeen wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 20:41:
I hope the Rainbow 6 team dies for furthering fascist agenda's and the patriots win back corrupt AmeriKa. Tom Clancy's premise for stories are ffin' stupid and he's a friggin loony bat. In fact, he thinks protesting and dissenting is "UnAmerican," when in fact that's the most god damn American thing there is.

You realize he hasn't been involved in the stories for any of these games since the original Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon, right?

13. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 4, 2011, 20:41 Taskeen

12. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 4, 2011, 20:26 StealthR6

Teddy wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 19:17:
I wish I had the opportunity to personally spit on everyone responsible for this piece of crap.

You and me both. And this crap is suppose to come out in 2013. I nominate it the worse game of 2013. Ubisoft has no clue what made Rainbow Six so successful. Sooner or later and up and coming developer will figure out this genre and sell millions, too bad it won't be Ubi.

11. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 4, 2011, 19:32 Flatline

^Drag0n^ wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 18:57:
Game mechanics aside, um, wow...talk about an adult storyline.

Except that it's not a mature/adult story. It's what a high school teenager would think is an adult story.

Actually, it reminds me a lot of the TV show 24. Which was juvenile too.

Moral ambiguity doesn't mean you're forced to do things that you morally disagree with. It means that you have multiple options that have no predictable moral weight, either because it's uncharted waters or because you honestly can't predict the outcome of your choice ahead of time.

I have no interest in this game at all.

10. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 4, 2011, 19:17 Teddy

^Drag0n^ wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 18:57:
The point is to simulate gameplay for critical review (usually with an existing game engine) before committing to the hard work of actually making the game.

Which is equally as bad, because it means that this is what they WANT to make the game like.

I don't have so much a problem with the storyline as with the atrocious presentation. QTE's have no place in shooters, they're not gameplay, they don't 'engage' me more during what is essentially a cutscene, they're just annoying. Beyond that, we have AGAIN, Rainbow Operatives not in proper gear, no helmets and balaclavas to hide their identities because after all, how can they expect us to 'connect' with a character who's face we can't see? *eyeroll* What's that Master Chief? You're one of the most well known video game icons in history even though we've never seen your face?

We have 3rd person cover mechanics AGAIN after the abysmal failure of the last two R6 games that tried it. We have magical vision that sees through cars even though we're not wearing any form of optics. We have 'tough ethical decisions' to make when none of them are actual decisions, unless you count, shoot that cop or stop playing the game. Kill that civilian or stop playing the game.

We have a cinematic, scripted plan for gameplay where the units are set up FOR you in the 'right' locations to intervene and engage at the 'right' time to keep the story moving forward, instead of allowing players to create their own strategy which was one of the only things that set the Rainbow 6 games apart way back when they were relevant.

And of course, we have regenerating health as displayed when he gets shot and the screen flashes red then quickly dissipates.

I wish I had the opportunity to personally spit on everyone responsible for this piece of crap.

9. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 4, 2011, 18:57 ^Drag0n^

The point is to simulate gameplay for critical review (usually with an existing game engine) before committing to the hard work of actually making the game.

Game mechanics aside, um, wow...talk about an adult storyline.

O.o

^D^

8. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 4, 2011, 18:13 bigspender

any trailer that opens with a dev jerking themselves of over themselves is an epic fail - this is a perfect example of it.

also if this isn't gameplay - why does it look so crap?

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

7. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 4, 2011, 18:03 Teddy

Oh, for the love of fucking god... Just when I thought they couldn't do worse than Lockdown.

More QTE's than BF3's single player, and just as I expected "Tough Ethical Decisions (tm)" that you get to make (or you get blown up and it's game over).

Perhaps the next Rainbow 6 game can be about the terrorists that went to kill everyone involved in destroying the Rainbow 6 franchise, who now that they've long since killed the title insist on pissing on it's corpse on a regular basis.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo