Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Improvements

Seven Ways Battlefield 3 is Improving on the Battlefield Blog outlines post-launch improvements for Battlefield 3, DICE's military shooter sequel. Some have already been implemented, whole some are coming in the near future. Already complete are improved QuickMatch functionality, Hardcore server availability, game stability, and lag and rubber-banding fixes. In the works are fixes for joining and remaining in squads, a default region setting in the server browser, and Origin installation and authentication issues.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

30. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 03:27 DangerDog

wonkawonka wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 02:28:
I heard rumors before release that BF3 would support cross-platform gaming. I was very skeptical as mouse trumps controller, but hopeful. I suppose that didn't happen?

cross-platform gaming?

this has only happened once as far as I know (Shadowrun) and they had to nerf the pc controls to the point of almost being unplayable.

no, BF3 is not cross-platform.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2011, 03:37.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 02:52 xXBatmanXx

Is this the patch that makes it a non browser game!?  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

28. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 02:28 wonkawonka

I heard rumors before release that BF3 would support cross-platform gaming. I was very skeptical as mouse trumps controller, but hopeful. I suppose that didn't happen?  

27. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 01:16 fujiJuice

Morgan19 wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 22:51:
Still no dice (ha) on getting the damn thing to run again.

I was getting a directx error on load that was a result of my amBX setup, I just shut all that down and it boots up, if that is your problem.

26. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 01:14 fujiJuice

LittleMe wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 23:27:
What you describe sounds like an uplink disconnect to the server. You were receiving data from the server alright, but your packets might not have been getting back to the server. My advice for you is to consider this an issue with the particular server you are playing on and try another.

Yeah they are a number of variables, server, number of players, or map, the trick is getting the perfect combination, for me at least.

25. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 01:04 Sepharo

Jackplug wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 00:35:
For me its the BF3.exe stops working after 5-6mins of play, if anyone is thinking of buying this then dont until there has been major improvements. EA/Dice should be fined for releasing a game that has so many major "gameplay" related problems, like being able to play the damn game or connect to servers and so on.

That's a punkbuster issue. It can either be the server is overloaded or you don't have the latest version (and the overloaded server can't send it to you). Try going to the punkbuster site and following the directions for a manual update. If that doesn't fix it try a different server or another time.

This is an issue with every game that uses PB, just some more than others (Q3 seems to be especially bad for some reason).

edit: err actually I see you mean the executable crashes, not just get kicked from the server. I was more focusing on the time mention.

24. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 00:56 ShakyJake

The game plays beautifully for me, very little trouble at all once I'm connected. The problem is getting there. Oftentimes I'll have to retry the same server several times until I no longer get the black screen, or endless "Loading..." screen. Also, not being able to rebind the "quick spot" functionality from Q is a huge pain in the ass. You can still bring up the commo rose and release the key while the enemy is in the middle to spot, but it takes more time, and you practically have to lead your targets to get it to work. I'm hoping they fix that one very soon here.  

23. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 00:54 TangledThorns

Teddy wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 00:27:
TangledThorns wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 00:09:
No mention of the stutter fix?? If you go to the BF3 tech support forum you'll see stutter as a top complaint. I don't suggest buying the game till there is a major patch release. Fool me once, EA... fool me once...

ATI has already released a new driver version that's supposed to correct stuttering with crossfire setups.

If there's some other stuttering issue, I have no idea. I've not seen it, myself.

I know and I'm using a single 6870. The stuttering is affecting different systems, nVidia and AMD. Theories are its caused by a memory leak or driver issue. You'll see many complaints in the tech support battlelog forum.

22. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 00:35 Jackplug

For me its the BF3.exe stops working after 5-6mins of play, if anyone is thinking of buying this then dont until there has been major improvements. EA/Dice should be fined for releasing a game that has so many major "gameplay" related problems, like being able to play the damn game or connect to servers and so on.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2011, 00:55.

21. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 00:29 Teddy

Krovven wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 21:58:
|oR|jonvall wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 21:04:
I tried to bind my R mouse button to "run" in the beta but it wouldn't work.

Have they fixed the mouse and keyboard binding issues?

Yes this is fixed jonvall. I have no clue what DangerDog is on about.

I use Right-Mouse button to move forward as well, and all my controls work perfectly, including Joystick. The only exception being Q is hardcoded to Spot/Communication, but can still be bound to other things. ie: I have Q bound to reload, it just also reloads when I spot, and vice versa.

There are still some binding issues, particularly with keys used for QTE's in the single player and co-op sections of the game. Much like the Q issue, you can rebind the key but it screws things up. ie. people were having problems getting past QTE's in the single player game that required them to spam the Space bar, because they rebound their jump to something else and while the game still demanded they press space, it didn't recognize it unless they simultaneously pressed space AND the key they'd bound jump to.

Weird stuff like that is still around, but it doesn't really affect MP much.

20. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 00:27 Teddy

TangledThorns wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 00:09:
No mention of the stutter fix?? If you go to the BF3 tech support forum you'll see stutter as a top complaint. I don't suggest buying the game till there is a major patch release. Fool me once, EA... fool me once...

ATI has already released a new driver version that's supposed to correct stuttering with crossfire setups.

If there's some other stuttering issue, I have no idea. I've not seen it, myself.

19. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 00:09 TangledThorns

18. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 00:06 DangerDog

Krovven wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 21:58:

Yes this is fixed jonvall. I have no clue what DangerDog is on about.

I use Right-Mouse button to move forward as well, and all my controls work perfectly, including Joystick. The only exception being Q is hardcoded to Spot/Communication, but can still be bound to other things. ie: I have Q bound to reload, it just also reloads when I spot, and vice versa.

What I'm on about is that there are plenty of mouse and key binding issues, still waiting for an ETA on a client side patch.

17. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 3, 2011, 23:27 LittleMe

fujiJuice wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 22:29:
Yeah this one is definitely the worst with maybe the exception of 1942 on release. I followed two guys in a jeep in my own jeep and once they stopped I switched to the gunner position and lit their gunner up for a good 20 seconds. I couldn't figure out why he wasn't dying, the whole time he is searching for me even looking right at me and not seeing me. Finally I get shot in the back of the head and my death cam shows my jeep 100 feet in front of his. It was very strange, because I wasn't lagged out, I could see all the activity in front of me just fine.

What you describe sounds like an uplink disconnect to the server. You were receiving data from the server alright, but your packets might not have been getting back to the server. My advice for you is to consider this an issue with the particular server you are playing on and try another.

BF3 seems to hide network problems so that people don't "feel" the lag as they play. Instead it hides the lag and this shows up in very strange ways, just as you describe. All games can do is try to hide lag, but there are bad gameplay consequences for trying to hide lag. It's possible a future update can alleviate some or most of this.

Getting laggy "around the corner" deaths and rubber banding in BF3? I suggest playing on another server (but that still might not completely fix the issue).

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

16. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 3, 2011, 23:12 |oR|jonvall

entr0py wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 21:57:

Yeah they mostly have. I read there are a couple of keys that don't rebind properly, like q for spotting, but the vast majority do.

You just have to be careful to click on the mouse column when rebinding a mouse key. That's not obvious since most games will just monitor your mouse, keyboard and controller input at the same time when you go to rebind an action.

Anyway, it's cool they're able to accomplish so much with server patches. Glad I'm not the one who has to patch every few days.

Ok good! Thanks for that btw.....I'm waiting for it to show up on Steam....might be a long wait though and I'm starting to weaken! I even upgraded my pc for this game but with Origin sucking so much and the non Steam release...I decided to hold off.

Might just go ahead and get it though if the mouse binding issue is resolved.

15. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 3, 2011, 22:51 Morgan19

Still no dice (ha) on getting the damn thing to run again. I've repaired the game through Origin, reinstalled the game, reinstalled Origin, reinstalled GeForce drivers, set the Origin and BF3 exe's to run as Admin or in Windows 7 compatibility mode, already run Win7 in classic non-Aero mode, tried Origin in offline mode, underclocked my videocard, reinstalled MS Framework 4, enabled Limit CPUID and so on.

Nothing has worked. Blah.

14. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 3, 2011, 22:37 jacobvandy

I've had crazy lag on Caspian as recently as last night, and according to that blog, they've already "improved" it on PC with a previous server patch. So, no dice.

I've also had the getting shot while already behind cover thing, it really sucks.

13. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 3, 2011, 22:29 fujiJuice

LittleMe wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 22:21:
Yeah there's the rubber banding and then there's the equally bad lag deaths when I'm already around the corner but taking hits anyway because the person shooting me is lagged. It means the client is dominant, not the server. It's a way to hide lag and it sacrifices gameplay for those of us with low pings. BF3 is much worse than BF2 in this regard. IIRC even BC2 didn't behave like this.

Yeah this one is definitely the worst with maybe the exception of 1942 on release. I followed two guys in a jeep in my own jeep and once they stopped I switched to the gunner position and lit their gunner up for a good 20 seconds. I couldn't figure out why he wasn't dying, the whole time he is searching for me even looking right at me and not seeing me. Finally I get shot in the back of the head and my death cam shows my jeep 100 feet in front of his. It was very strange, because I wasn't lagged out, I could see all the activity in front of me just fine.

12. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 3, 2011, 22:28 entr0py

Quboid wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 22:01:
Wasn't there supposed to be a 5GB release day patch. What ever happened to that?

I've found it reasonably polished. There are a few niggles but it's in good shape. The lack of voice chat seems odd, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Supposedly there's some voip option provided through the battlelog website that ONLY works on pre-made squads that don't change over the course of the game. But given that it's limited only to friends and not built into the game client, you might as well just use vent or skype or TS.

11. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 3, 2011, 22:21 LittleMe

fujiJuice wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 21:50:
The lag and rubber-banding is pretty ridiculous most of the time, it is rare that I find a server with none. It seems to be the worst on Tehran Highway.

Yeah there's the rubber banding and then there's the equally bad lag deaths when I'm already around the corner but taking hits anyway because the person shooting me is lagged. It means the client is dominant, not the server. It's a way to hide lag and it sacrifices gameplay for those of us with low pings. BF3 is much worse than BF2 in this regard. IIRC even BC2 didn't behave like this.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo