Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Improvements

Seven Ways Battlefield 3 is Improving on the Battlefield Blog outlines post-launch improvements for Battlefield 3, DICE's military shooter sequel. Some have already been implemented, whole some are coming in the near future. Already complete are improved QuickMatch functionality, Hardcore server availability, game stability, and lag and rubber-banding fixes. In the works are fixes for joining and remaining in squads, a default region setting in the server browser, and Origin installation and authentication issues.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 11, 2011, 05:20 Mordecai Walfish

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 05:32:
I would like to thank BF3 for helping me remember what a BSOD looks like. This is the first BSOD I have seen on my system in ages so it's quite an accomplishment by DICE to make otherwise 100% rock stable systems crash when playing their fucked up game. Gratz on that one, guys. Keep rockin'...

DICE has a history with these kinds of issues. I experienced something very similar with Bad Company 2, recently.

I would experience CTD's with BC2 on a system I built and tested in every way possible myself to ensure 100% stability in *EVERYTHING* I could run on it. Never a BSOD or system crash since I built and tuned the PC (Dec'10).
When BC2 would crash, it didnt just CTD... it would take the entire fucking ship down with it. Network card would start failing, programs would refuse to open and exhibit other weird behaviour. All sorts of weird shit would start happening. Turned out to be that the ram was overclocked (and 100% stable in literally everything else 24+ hours memtest, prime64 24+ hours, Windows7 memory diagnostic extended tests 10x over..). Everything was completely happy with the settings, but BC2 would not cooperate with the change in the Command Rate from 2t to 1t. This ended up being what caused it, and I only found out because another person had figured this out when he was having similar issues and looking for help in the G-Skill forums.

Hell BC2 still crashes and burns with infinite sound loops and BSOD's for people who are playing on certain motherboards with *very common* onboard audio solutions (realtek) released over the last couple years. (And this issue has been first reported when BC2 game was BETA, and still to this day you will find lengthy threads about this frequent issue)

Not really surprising BF3 is having similar issues reported across the board, but the worst thing is that given DICE's history its unlikely many of these bugs will get the time and attention they deserve.

BC2 is, what, 2 years old now? Still no fixes for many bugs that have affected large portions of the gaming community since beta. Shame.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 21:52 Bhruic

Also the whole thing where you click on someone to spawn while they're alive, they die somehow and you get booted back to the original deploy point 5 minutes from the action is infuriating. Just let me pick a different point then dipshits!

Oh, ugh, the number of times I've swore a blue streak over that one... If I choose a spot to spawn, and that spot "disappears" for whatever reason (capped, died, etc), DON'T FUCKING SPAWN ME. Wait for me to chooise a new spawn point. I don't want to spawn back at the fucking base you idiotic motherfucking game!! (to re-enact what I'm usually yelling at the monitor when it happens)

48. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 13:29 Teddy

Shataan wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 09:42:
Gotta ask... when pray tell do these fixes arrive? I see no d/l indication. No "EA here, we just released an update... etc etc etc".

Most of the ones listed are back end fixes, the hardcore server deal, the quickmatch, lag issues, etc. There have been multiple server updates since release. I believe we're on R7 server version now. The stability fixes will probably have to be client patches once they figure out what the hell's wrong.

47. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 13:02 Jackplug

Sepharo wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 01:04:
That's a punkbuster issue. It can either be the server is overloaded or you don't have the latest version (and the overloaded server can't send it to you). Try going to the punkbuster site and following the directions for a manual update. If that doesn't fix it try a different server or another time.

No its not PB issue, I updated PB before I even started to play my 1st game..

46. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 12:16 Verno

BC2 had the exact same problems, I used to duck behind cover and end up dead 1-2 seconds later all the time due to someone with a 100+ ping or a lot of PL. Also the whole thing where you click on someone to spawn while they're alive, they die somehow and you get booted back to the original deploy point 5 minutes from the action is infuriating. Just let me pick a different point then dipshits!  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

45. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 11:54 Elessar

LittleMe wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 22:21:
fujiJuice wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 21:50:
The lag and rubber-banding is pretty ridiculous most of the time, it is rare that I find a server with none. It seems to be the worst on Tehran Highway.

Yeah there's the rubber banding and then there's the equally bad lag deaths when I'm already around the corner but taking hits anyway because the person shooting me is lagged. It means the client is dominant, not the server. It's a way to hide lag and it sacrifices gameplay for those of us with low pings. BF3 is much worse than BF2 in this regard. IIRC even BC2 didn't behave like this.
I HATE this. There's nothing worse than thinking you made it to cover only to fall to the ground dead because the client wasn't synced with the server. It's only happened a few times, but when it does, it's annoying. BF3 is largely lag free for me otherwise.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

44. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 10:49 Aero

I want a fix for occasional crashing, which just started the other day for some reason, though not frequently enough to really put me off it

The biggest fix of all is VOIP, though it seems like a third party will beat them to it if TeamSync with TeamSpeak really works the way it's supposed to.

There are also some oddities in the lag hiding algorithms. I'd like lag to be obvious (I don't see a way to determine my ping from in game, and the server browser only sometimes gives me an actual ping), not just a nebulous feeling that somehow I'm inexplicably sucking a lot more than usual at shooting and not being shot.

43. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 10:29 everyone

Rattlehead wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 21:52:

Hahaha. Good joke EA. We know you don't support shit after it's been released

Nah the battlefield games have never recieved any patches...right?
Not any that fixed more than they broke, no.

42. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 09:46 Bucky

Verno wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 09:39:
Honestly, the more I use Battlelog the more I like it. If they gave me the ability to set up loadouts (and make presets) in Battlelog I'd be in heaven.

That's a great idea Bucky, I really wish they would implement it. That big GIF of UI improvements that someone put together would be nice too. My biggest hope is for some balance changes to things like IRNV, the mobile AA and so on. Most importantly, the game needs at least squad-level VoIP without making "parties" in battlelog. The game simply moves too quickly to type things out and it would go a long way towards improving the quality of play on most servers.

An update for Battlelog just went out, and apparently they've got a forum for suggestions. One of the top ideas is what I just suggested, so I've gotta go there and throw my support behind it now.

http://getsatisfaction.com/battlefield3

41. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 09:42 Shataan

Gotta ask... when pray tell do these fixes arrive? I see no d/l indication. No "EA here, we just released an update... etc etc etc".  

40. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 09:39 Verno

Honestly, the more I use Battlelog the more I like it. If they gave me the ability to set up loadouts (and make presets) in Battlelog I'd be in heaven.

That's a great idea Bucky, I really wish they would implement it. That big GIF of UI improvements that someone put together would be nice too. My biggest hope is for some balance changes to things like IRNV, the mobile AA and so on. Most importantly, the game needs at least squad-level VoIP without making "parties" in battlelog. The game simply moves too quickly to type things out and it would go a long way towards improving the quality of play on most servers.

39. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 09:35 Bucky

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 02:52:
Is this the patch that makes it a non browser game!?

I've had almost no issue with the game since launch. My two biggest complaints are the lack of integrated voice with the game, and absolutely no way to communicate with people not on your friends list during Co-Op missions. God, I need to get all those Co-Op unlocks so I don't have to deal with that anymore....

Other than that, the game is a gem. I'm having a stupid amount of fun playing it, and I've even learned to not crash helicopters.

38. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 09:27 Ledge

[VG]Reagle wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 08:40:
The only improvements people need to make is to delete this POS off their hard drives and install MW3...

LOL.

37. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 09:19 Verno

[VG]Reagle wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 08:40:
The only improvements people need to make is to delete this POS off their hard drives and install MW3...

They could just install Modern Warfare and get the same experience every time, so no.

36. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 08:50 qsto

InBlack wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 05:53:
Gonna wait at least a year before buying this
We'll probably have BF4 by then, or at least BC3 which is essentially the same thing...
not only will (hopefully) my burnout with modern shooters be over but they might iron out all the bugs and errors by then.
I've clocked around 20h on the multi + 4h on the sp, and the game hasn't crashed on me once.

This game is demanding on hardware, and many PC gamers out there have shitty rigs with poor PSU's or simply unstable overclocks, and then they blame the game for their issues. My 2500K@4.7GHz is 12h IntelBurnTest stable, ram is 12h memtest86+ error free and GTX560Ti 6h FurMark Xtreme burn-in stable. It's really that simple. Completing Superpi 1M doesn't mean your rig is stable...

35. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 08:40 [VG]Reagle

I am MUCH MUCH better now.

34. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 08:27 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 02:52:
Is this the patch that makes it a non browser game!?

That might be funny if Dice didn't make such shitty in-client browsers. Battlelog works pretty well for the most part, there are much bigger things to take issue with.

33. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 05:53 InBlack

Gonna wait at least a year before buying this, not only will (hopefully) my burnout with modern shooters be over but they might iron out all the bugs and errors by then.

Ive seen the game at one of our store and gotta say it looks fantastics but still I did not really feel compelled to get into it right this minute.

I have a nifty blue line!

32. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 05:38 Dmitri_M

I play 16 player hardcore TDM exclusively, and I'm really really enjoying it..

Perhaps only playing on this simpler mode is why I hardly see any lag or bugs. The game has been rock solid.

31. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 05:32 CJ_Parker

I would like to thank BF3 for helping me remember what a BSOD looks like. This is the first BSOD I have seen on my system in ages so it's quite an accomplishment by DICE to make otherwise 100% rock stable systems crash when playing their fucked up game. Gratz on that one, guys. Keep rockin'...

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo