Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

AMD Cuts 1,400 Jobs

Advanced Micro Devices cut 1,400 jobs worldwide, today, which represents over 10% of the workforce of the chip company, reports the Statesman Business Blog. Word is: "The job cuts and an ongoing company efficiency program are expected to save the company $200 million from its operating expenses next year. The cutbacks affected the company’s worldwide operations and included slightly more than 300 jobs in Austin." Thanks Ant via Slashdot.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: AMD Cuts 1,400 Jobs Nov 4, 2011, 14:31 Beamer

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 14:22:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 09:37:
On this planet the second AMD goes under Intels chip prices will go up 33%...
Try closer to 50% with increases of 30% every quarter. I don't have a problem with AMD at all, my last 2 builds were AMD. The previous 2 before that were intel.

Then again, it seems that both AMD and Intel go through phases of dump workforce every 5ish years or so then rehire them when things look better. Then again I've seen *DOOM* in terms of AMD several, hundred, dozen, thousand times since the mid-90's and they're still here too.

Prices wouldn't go up initially. They just wouldn't come down, and new launches would start higher. But it isn't like current products would skyrocket for no valid reason.

And let's be honest - a new competitor would be there within 3 years. There are enough competitors in near industries that one would see that ripe market and dive in.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: AMD Cuts 1,400 Jobs Nov 4, 2011, 14:22 Mashiki Amiketo

[VG]Reagle wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 09:37:
Try closer to 50% with increases of 30% every quarter. I don't have a problem with AMD at all, my last 2 builds were AMD. The previous 2 before that were intel.

Then again, it seems that both AMD and Intel go through phases of dump workforce every 5ish years or so then rehire them when things look better. Then again I've seen *DOOM* in terms of AMD several, hundred, dozen, thousand times since the mid-90's and they're still here too.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

21. Re: AMD Cuts 1,400 Jobs Nov 4, 2011, 10:48 Verno

space captain wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 10:19:
wonder how many of these prophets are willing to put their money where their mouth is

blues news market speculation betting pool? anyone?

Grouphug

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

20. Re: AMD Cuts 1,400 Jobs Nov 4, 2011, 10:19 space captain

wonder how many of these prophets are willing to put their money where their mouth is

blues news market speculation betting pool? anyone?

Go forth, and kill!

19. Re: AMD Cuts 1,400 Jobs Nov 4, 2011, 10:11 EddieTheHack

Silicon Avatar wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 22:41:
If AMD folds everyone will miss them. Nvidia and Intel won't have any competitors left giving them no reason to lower prices or innovate.
There will be plenty of competition without AMD. Right now there is a literal swarm of ARM based cpu's buzzing around the peripheral like a horde of locusts waiting to devour whats left of the traditional revenue streams. ARM based CPU's are fast, efficient, cheap, and readily available from multiple companies. Windows 8 has native support for ARM - when the swarm of ARM cpu's begins hitting the desktop space it is over for AMD unless they begin shipping ARM parts as well. If they go that route then they are just one of many producers in that space. x86 is going to be dead really soon. Companies like AMD - who have never been particularly good at what they do - likely won't survive the transition. Intel will. Nvidia will. AMD...probably not. they won't be missed.

18. Re: AMD Cuts 1,400 Jobs Nov 4, 2011, 09:43 Verno

Right but they need to sink or swim on their own merits, investors can't keep propping them up based on their counterbalance to Intel. I respect AMD a lot, for a fabless chip company they've accomplished some pretty amazing things when you consider Intel employs a majority of the people who pioneered modern fab techniques. I think they'll get through this but they need to leverage their APU stuff into the mobile market more.

17. Re: AMD Cuts 1,400 Jobs Nov 4, 2011, 09:37 [VG]Reagle

Well today's competition is also from tablets, phones, consoles, so the mainline Intel platform still must compete on price/performance (I hope!).

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

16. Re: AMD Cuts 1,400 Jobs Nov 4, 2011, 09:34 Verno

Most devs only test on Nvidia cards because Nvidia gives out a lot of free hardware, pays for exclusive features and have more than 10 people dedicated to working with developers. AMD cards are fine and the drivers are no worse than Nvidia's but people don't understand the problems they encounter so they need to attribute it to something. People keep falsely claiming that things have "gotten worse" but the situation with AMD drivers and videogames has done nothing but improve for the past 6+ years. People used to wait months for fixed drivers from AMD, they accelerated their release schedule and most responsible devs test on both platforms. The ones that don't usually have fixes up in a short matter of time, people are spoiled quite frankly.

The one area where AMD really sucks on the driver front is OpenGL and that remains a thorn in their side. Nvidia gets a bit frustrating if you play a lot of legacy stuff because they tend to break as many things as they fix with each iteration. Some of that is unavoidable but it gets really frustrating when they do something dumb like break home theater related functionality or etc.

Bulldozer was a total disappoint on IPC which is all anyone cares about these days. That's ok though, companies need to learn from their mistakes and anyone who remembers the P4 days knows that it hasn't always been Core i5-2500k levels of success for Intel either. Remember how loud and hot Nvidia cards ran in the past for that matter? The Radeon 5850's runaway success with consumers and the press largely changed the buying landscape too.

15. Re: AMD Cuts 1,400 Jobs Nov 4, 2011, 09:21 wtf_man

InBlack wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 05:59:
AMD is pretty safe from defaulting, their processors might not be the best in the top end, but they cover the budget sector pretty well.

While this may be true on the "price/performance on the very low end", the real proof is "performance per clock"... and in the age of multi-core "performance per clock on a single core".

Athlon spanked the Pentium 4 for it's entire time span in "performance per clock". I had nothing but Athlon CPUs back then. Then the Core 2 came out, and Intel has spanked AMD CPUs in "performance per clock on a single core" ever since. So, you see I don't care which company has the better product... I'm buying the better product... because it really does translate to "better bang for the buck in the long run".

Then Bulldozer comes along and they lengthen the pipeline (which was Intel's big mistake in the P4 era) and get even worse results. WELL DUH! You don't have to be a processor engineer to know that was going to fucking happen!

It's almost as if AMD wants to fail. They're not happy unless they're operating at a loss for the year.

shihonage wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 00:23:
After they bought ATI, ATI drivers fell in quality, and the videocard hardware went shoddier.

I don't know how true this is. I will agree that the driver quality fell some, however, in this age of "console ports", and with ATi and nVidia having to "shit out drivers" to get a NEW game to run right... I'm like WTF? This is supposed to be the other way around!!!... a game needs to work right with the latest released drivers BEFORE they launch the fucking game!

So, I mainly blame the Games Devs for this situation. (Including the so called "Mighty Carmack")

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2011, 09:29.

14. Re: AMD Cuts 1,400 Jobs Nov 4, 2011, 05:59 InBlack

AMD is pretty safe from defaulting, their processors might not be the best in the top end, but they cover the budget sector pretty well.  

I have a nifty blue line!

13. Re: AMD Cuts 1,400 Jobs Nov 4, 2011, 02:53 Tanto Edge

This makes me sad.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

12. Re: AMD Cuts 1,400 Jobs Nov 4, 2011, 02:34 SM0k3

Right after the bulldozer flop too....shame.  

11. Re: AMD Cuts 1,400 Jobs Nov 4, 2011, 02:33 KilrathiAce

Lol people act here like this kind of news is shocking, this is happening across most companies today. Tough times.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

10. Re: AMD Cuts 1,400 Jobs Nov 4, 2011, 00:59 Sepharo

The last Intel CPU I had was the 66MHz Pentium in my IBM Aptiva.

It's been AMD ever since then and my machines always play the graphically intense games of their generations. Never had a CPU issue before, I've had the rare Mobo, HD, or power supply failure but never a CPU issue.

Just my own anecdotal evidence. I don't know if it ever occurred to me until just now that it's been that long since having anything other than AMD.

9. Re: AMD Cuts 1,400 Jobs Nov 4, 2011, 00:54 space captain

Silicon Avatar wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 22:41:
If AMD folds everyone will miss them.

you must have missed the part where Ed said "no one is going to miss them", otherwise you would not have said that

he is able to speak for everyone in the entire world, you see - it is a special power which is granted to the most massive intellectual giants on earth

so, you might want to reconsider - and just admit that he knows what you would think better than you do

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: AMD Cuts 1,400 Jobs Nov 4, 2011, 00:23 shihonage

AMD CPUs were always overheating trash. After they bought ATI, ATI drivers fell in quality, and the videocard hardware went shoddier.

ATI used to have the best 2D video output and video overlay stretching in the biz, but I was very surprised when my 38xx-something card died, I switched to an NVidia card, and its analog video was of far better quality!

(yes some of us have an intolerance for LCD/LED screens and are stuck with CRT until something better comes along)

7. Re: AMD Cuts 1,400 Jobs Nov 3, 2011, 22:41 Silicon Avatar

If AMD folds everyone will miss them. Nvidia and Intel won't have any competitors left giving them no reason to lower prices or innovate.  

6. Re: AMD Cuts 1,400 Jobs Nov 3, 2011, 22:19 EddieTheHack

AMD sucks, they can't write a driver and the Athlon was the last decent CPU they shipped. What they need to do is fire everyone involved with bulldozer right away. Holy crap are they garbage. If AMD folds no one is going to miss them - that's for sure.  

5. Re: AMD Cuts 1,400 Jobs Nov 3, 2011, 22:15 LittleMe

This can be a good thing. AMD can come back strong after cutting some fat out. I realize it's not all fat, of course.

[VG]Reagle wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 20:51:
Damn I hope AMD makes it since Intel needs competition. I knew that stupid merger with ATI was a waste of billions.....

Well today's competition is also from tablets, phones, consoles, so the mainline Intel platform still must compete on price/performance (I hope!).

Perpetual debt is slavery.

4. doomsday. the final battle. doomsday. armageddon. Nov 3, 2011, 21:44 space captain

Sacrifex, you are gonna have to do way better than that to get the coveted "Pachter Award"

however, you can take consolation in the fact that you have qualified for the "Chicken Little Prize"

Go forth, and kill!

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo