Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Warhammer 40K MMOG's "Flexible" Business Model

GamesIndustry.biz (registration required) has more from last night's THQ post-earnings conference call, where the "flexible" business model for Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online, their upcoming MMORPG. Here's what THQ CEO Brian Farrell says about this:

"So what we've done is make the business model within Dark Millennium Online flexible so we can use different business models in different territories and exploit the game on a worldwide basis."

"We will have not just one business model, like subscriptions. There will be other monetisation mechanisms in the game... The team there is being very thoughtful about how we maximise monetisation in this game."

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Warhammer 40K MMOG's Nov 4, 2011, 09:11 Bard

entr0py wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 22:08:
Bard wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 14:53:
China plays with never expiring pay per minute.

I'd play MMORPG's if that was the case here in North America. Sick of paying a monthly subscription that gets wasted if i am too busy to play.

I played Aion for a couple months while it was out in China but not the US, using an English language patch derived from the English beta. It used the payment model you described and it was fantastic. Very affordable and without any subscriptions, client charge, pressure to play, or billing information stored on their servers.

Honestly if they can find a way to do it I think you'll see a lot of people paying for 40k Online in Asia even if they play somewhere else in the world.

I have no doubt they could - but i doubt they'll see it as profitable as the ripoff model.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Warhammer 40K MMOG's "Flexible" Business Model Nov 4, 2011, 02:35 KilrathiAce

Developer behind this game is unknown and with no track record. As a result I would really hold off, especially when publisher now calls the game as a flexible business model. cough.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

10. Re: Warhammer 40K MMOG's Nov 3, 2011, 22:08 entr0py

Bard wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 14:53:

I'd play MMORPG's if that was the case here in North America. Sick of paying a monthly subscription that gets wasted if i am too busy to play.

I played Aion for a couple months while it was out in China but not the US, using an English language patch derived from the English beta. It used the payment model you described and it was fantastic. Very affordable and without any subscriptions, client charge, pressure to play, or billing information stored on their servers.

Honestly if they can find a way to do it I think you'll see a lot of people paying for 40k Online in Asia even if they play somewhere else in the world.

9. Re: Warhammer 40K MMOG's "Flexible" Business Model Nov 3, 2011, 18:17 Sempai

The fact he uses the word "exploit" already worries me for this game.  

8. Re: Warhammer 40K MMOG's "Flexible" Business Model Nov 3, 2011, 16:50 Despoiler

What is the big deal here? This is what every multi-territory MMO does.  

7. Re: Warhammer 40K MMOG's "Flexible" Business Model Nov 3, 2011, 16:05 Tumbler

We will have not just one business model, like subscriptions. There will be other monetisation mechanisms in the game... The team there is being very thoughtful about how we maximize monetisation in this game.

I'm going to monetize the shit out of that dude! Boom MONEYSHOT!

They should make a game where when you kill someone you earn money. Like $0.50. If you get a head shot you earn $1. The person you kill has to pay $0.75 if they get killed and if they are killed by a headshot you are charged $1.25.

I should start collecting games soon because it feels like we're about to head off a fucking cliff with this shit.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

6. Re: Warhammer 40K MMOG's Nov 3, 2011, 14:53 Bard

5. Re: Warhammer 40K MMOG's Nov 3, 2011, 14:35 saluk

kylania wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 12:52:
Whenever I see someone talking like that, especially about a game, I just want to punch them in the face.

Why don't you try making the game the best it can be and make money by creating a compelling and enjoyable experience rather than trying to create "monetisation mechanisms" and calling it a game.

Sorry, it is 2011. No one makes games anymore, they only make interactive money accumulation services.

4. Re: Warhammer 40K MMOG's "Flexible" Business Model Nov 3, 2011, 12:53 007Bistromath

Huh. So Americans will pay a subscription to play what Chinese gold farmers play as a freemium shit heap. Awesome.  

3. Re: Warhammer 40K MMOG's Nov 3, 2011, 12:52 kylania

Whenever I see someone talking like that, especially about a game, I just want to punch them in the face.

Why don't you try making the game the best it can be and make money by creating a compelling and enjoyable experience rather than trying to create "monetisation mechanisms" and calling it a game.

2. Re: Warhammer 40K MMOG's Nov 3, 2011, 12:23 Angrius Maximis

LOL

I had totally forgotten about this game. Talk about something doomed to flop. I really think Star Wars will be the last of the "2004" style MMO's that will succeed at all.

This game is already out of date before it launches. I cant wait to see it fall flat on its face.

And while I am here: Fuck you Games Workshop.

Thats it

1. Re: Warhammer 40K MMOG's "Flexible" Business Model Nov 3, 2011, 12:07 Frijoles

Why does this remind me of Hellgate London?  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo