Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Dungeon Defenders Sells 200K

Trendy Entertainment, D3Publisher and Reverb Publishing announce that Dungeon Defenders has now sold over 250,000 units on Steam, Xbox LIVE, and PlayStation Network, and that 200,000 of those sales were for the PC. To celebrate they are planning special events for the vast minority of console users, because, well, who knows, there's probably a really good reason. Here's word:

Twain Harte, CA – November 2 – Trendy Entertainment, D3Publisher and Reverb Publishing announced today that its recently released action/tower defense/RPG mash-up Dungeon Defenders, with 200,000 units sold on PC alone, is a runaway success with over 250,000 sales total on all three platforms – Steam, Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation® Network. To celebrate, Trendy is announcing one of its many plans to continue to support the game across all platforms, with free, weekly community events for PS3 and Xbox 360 players. These events will allow gamers to play special game modes with the devs and have a chance to win unique loot found nowhere else.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: PC Dungeon Defenders Sells 200K Nov 3, 2011, 22:31 Dev

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 16:02:
I only play open/local myself, as I keep getting disconnected from Trendy's Ranked servers, to the point that I can't even finish a map.
That happened a fair amount in the first few days, have you tried it recently? Its been almost a week since I've gotten disconnected from trendy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: PC Dungeon Defenders Sells 200K Nov 3, 2011, 16:02 MoreLuckThanSkill

This game is awesome. It's that simple. I've played it more than BF3, to be honest, even though you can't even really compare the two genres.

That said, various costumes... meh, I could care less. As long as all the missions are available on ALL platforms(for free if they are free on one), it's all good.

As far as the Halloween mission/costumes on PC, they were available on Open servers starting November 2nd. This was announced, but only on the Trendy forums, I had to go looking for it.

I only play open/local myself, as I keep getting disconnected from Trendy's Ranked servers, to the point that I can't even finish a map.

12. Re: PC Dungeon Defenders Sells 200K Nov 3, 2011, 10:43 Keilun

rist3903 wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 10:17:
They already released a special event on the PC. Halloween Spooktacular. It added 8 costumes, a new mission and new weapons. PC is still getting lots of love. So don't take the special event for consoles as a dick move towards the PC. If anything, PC gets more love than any other platform right now.

Okay perhaps that was a bit hasty on my part. Instead of what I originally thought it to be, it is merely a terribly misguided press release. They ought to decouple:

game doing quite well amongst people in group A.

As a result, we are giving perks to people in groups B and C.

because if you put those together, it totally sounds like a dick move. Even if it isn't.

Agreed. It's a poorly worded press release. I'm still unsure of whether or not these weekly community events will be console exclusive. Some of the things Trendy does, while great, doesn't make much sense. Offering exclusives to the various platforms and creating all that fragmentation doesn't seem like a good thing to me.

Either way that's their problem. As long as they keep up the great work on PC, I'll be happy. And I am right now. Great game. I'd recommend it, especially at the $14.99 price point.

11. Re: PC Dungeon Defenders Sells 200K Nov 3, 2011, 10:17 rist3903

They already released a special event on the PC. Halloween Spooktacular. It added 8 costumes, a new mission and new weapons. PC is still getting lots of love. So don't take the special event for consoles as a dick move towards the PC. If anything, PC gets more love than any other platform right now.

Okay perhaps that was a bit hasty on my part. Instead of what I originally thought it to be, it is merely a terribly misguided press release. They ought to decouple:

game doing quite well amongst people in group A.

As a result, we are giving perks to people in groups B and C.

because if you put those together, it totally sounds like a dick move. Even if it isn't.

10. Re: PC Dungeon Defenders Sells 200K Nov 3, 2011, 09:48 Keilun

rist3903 wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 07:14:
So it sells really well on the PC, not so much on the consoles, and because of this they will have special events on the PS3 and 360?

Dick move!

9. Re: PC Dungeon Defenders Sells 200K Nov 3, 2011, 09:10 Dev

I've enjoyed this game quite a lot. Much more so than orcs must die, and this lets me play with friends.

As for the community events, on the PC when pick trendy/ranked play, it mentions scheduled community events (such as the first one, the haloween one which is taking place right now), so I don't think they are just for consoles.

I find it very interesting that this sold 200k on PC (mostly through steam I imagine) and only 50k on consoles. I wonder how much is more of MS fumbling with xbox indie arcade, and screwing over developers?
Nacelle wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 06:55:
I bought this game, and it's great. Since I went in of a prepurchase 4-pack, it was only $10. It's a funner game for the money than BF3 is at $60, that's for sure. Though it will be a big disappointment if they truly do only do special events for consoles. And about the holloween add-ons, you couldn't even use them unless you played on their ranked servers. If you are casually playing with an unranked character, you got nothing, not even the skins that were costumes.
There's not much point to doing unranked IMHO. They are almost exactly the same, except unranked allows modding/hacking, etc, and ranked is required for steam achivements. The first few days they had server overloading issues (like many many games, even valve games), so ranked got disconnected frequently, but that's pretty much stopped now that they've done back end upgrades and optimizations. I haven't gotten disconnected by trendy for a a while now. I imagine one could get a ranked character how one liked it and duplicate it on unranked through modding/editing etc. Perhaps even see how it played with a totally maxed out equipped character.

Kajetan wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 07:21:
Fibrocyte wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 06:25:
Erm... they release daily patches - so wtf are you talking about. They tweak and fix the game constantly.
Maybe they shoud have done this BEFORE releasing a game? Or they should have made it clear, that you buy an early beta? Like Notch does with Minecraft?
Its not a beta, not even an early one. When released it was feature complete, playable, and the bugs I noticed were mostly minor ones. And even though this was released on multiple platforms (consoles, and mobile) the keys were even rebindable on release (unlike orcs must die, which just NOW got a patch to let you freely rebind keys... by editing a config file)

The patches and nerfs/buffs are more like an MMO. They notice some class or weapon is overpowered and nerf. A class is underpowered and buff.

The frequency and extent of the nerfs/buffs are a bit high. I think its because this is a new developer and they are thinking like they were during development. They need to slow it down a bit and test it with a group of people before they push it out to everyone. This is not something new, heck valve does this and they don't have the same excuses. I've seen valve patch notes for TF2 and they fix the same thing 3 times in three days, as if they didn't bother testing it before they push the patch.

Anyway, I recommend this game, its very fun.

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 2011, 09:30.

8. Re: PC Dungeon Defenders Sells 200K Nov 3, 2011, 07:21 Kajetan

Fibrocyte wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 06:25:
Erm... they release daily patches - so wtf are you talking about. They tweak and fix the game constantly.
Maybe they shoud have done this BEFORE releasing a game? Or they should have made it clear, that you buy an early beta? Like Notch does with Minecraft?

7. Re: PC Dungeon Defenders Sells 200K Nov 3, 2011, 07:14 rist3903

So it sells really well on the PC, not so much on the consoles, and because of this they will have special events on the PS3 and 360?

Dick move!

6. Re: PC Dungeon Defenders Sells 200K Nov 3, 2011, 06:55 Nacelle

I bought this game, and it's great. Since I went in of a prepurchase 4-pack, it was only $10. It's a funner game for the money than BF3 is at $60, that's for sure. Though it will be a big disappointment if they truly do only do special events for consoles. And about the holloween add-ons, you couldn't even use them unless you played on their ranked servers. If you are casually playing with an unranked character, you got nothing, not even the skins that were costumes.  

5. Re: PC Dungeon Defenders Sells 200K Nov 3, 2011, 06:25 Fibrocyte

Kitkoan wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 00:56:
I'd be tempted to buy this game but I'd buy it for the PC and they've shown right here that they don't really give a damn about their PC customers (though though they are by far their biggest market...)

Just days after release they added free DLC and more is coming on Nov 10th.

4. Re: PC Dungeon Defenders Sells 200K Nov 3, 2011, 01:01 Jerykk

To be fair, only the PC version received the free Halloween DLC.  

3. Re: PC Dungeon Defenders Sells 200K Nov 3, 2011, 00:56 Kitkoan

I'd be tempted to buy this game but I'd buy it for the PC and they've shown right here that they don't really give a damn about their PC customers (though though they are by far their biggest market...)  

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

2. Re: PC Dungeon Defenders Sells 200K Nov 3, 2011, 00:01 Acleacius

I agree, looks like a blast and their some damn cute character art.

I can't help wonder if many games are like this since Steam, this game sold 200k on the PC alone compared to just 50k between both major console platforms!

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

1. Re: PC Dungeon Defenders Sells 200K Nov 2, 2011, 22:30 xXBatmanXx

argh, want to get this - just don't have the time to dedicate.....looks like a blast co-op.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo