Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

GameFront - What a Reviewer’s job is Not.
It is not a reviewer’s job to boost the Metacritic scoring average of your favorite game. It is not a reviewer’s job to boost the Metacritic scoring average of your favorite game. It is not a reviewer’s job to boost the Metacritic scoring average of your favorite game. It is not a reviewer’s job to boost the Metacritic scoring average of your favorite game. It is not a reviewer’s job to boost the Metacritic scoring average of your favorite game.

View
14. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 15:43 Warskull

DG wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 11:26:
Somehow a brief review of a comment thread has always told me more than thousands of words on a multi-page in-depth professional review.

Most reviews never really get across well whether the game is fun.

Specifically multiplayer, I don't often see a review get this right. Maybe because many have to review pre-launch, so presumably any play they get is like what you get in closed betas: sterile and uncreative.

Somewhere along the lines the goal of video game writers stopped being informing their readers and they became a PR division of the publishers. I think the internet had a huge part in this because their source of income became ads and it is easy to get hits online, even if you writing quality is crap.

As much as an asshole Jim Sterling can be, I will give him credit for having fairly good taste in games and being one of the few reviewers that will give you an honest, quality review. He's just wasting his breath defending something that doesn't deserve to be defended. People know most of these reviewers are shills and are constantly manipulated by the publishers. If a publisher can demand an 8 why can't the readers?

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Nov 2, 10:25 Re: Op Ed Drazula
  2. Nov 2, 10:31  Re: Op Ed InBlack
  3. Nov 2, 11:08 Re: Op Ed Parallax Abstraction
  4. Nov 2, 11:26  Re: Op Ed DG
  5. Nov 2, 13:22   Re: Op Ed Scud
  6. Nov 2, 13:33    Re: Op Ed Prez
  7. Nov 2, 13:38     Re: Op Ed Beamer
  8. Nov 2, 13:42      Re: Op Ed TurdFergasun
  9. Nov 2, 14:18      Re: Op Ed Prez
  10. Nov 2, 14:22       Re: Op Ed Beamer