Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

GameFront - What a Reviewer’s job is Not.
It is not a reviewer’s job to boost the Metacritic scoring average of your favorite game. It is not a reviewer’s job to boost the Metacritic scoring average of your favorite game. It is not a reviewer’s job to boost the Metacritic scoring average of your favorite game. It is not a reviewer’s job to boost the Metacritic scoring average of your favorite game. It is not a reviewer’s job to boost the Metacritic scoring average of your favorite game.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 17:46 Tumbler

Most people going to a review just want a concise crap/not crap. A smaller subset actually wants to read. A much smaller subset wants validation for their own fanboyism. You lose the first and last group by dropping numbers.

I think most people going to a review are looking to justify a pre-order. I think most have already made the decision to purchase and want to see good news about the game. It's all part of the hype machine in the end, fans want to see lots of reviews show up praising the game right before launch and they'll lash out at people who don't give them what they want. Honest reviews be damned, they're here to scream and shout how awesome the game is.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 16:47 Prez

They can leave the numbers in for the pants-on-head retards if they must; as long as the actual body of the review is well-written, thorough, and informative.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 16:42 Beamer

PHJF wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 16:39:
The only acceptable form of review is one that doesn't end in a number (or in rarer cases, a/b/c/d/f)

But as sites have found out, people don't read reviews without numbers. And when they do they write in complaining that there was no number.

Most people going to a review just want a concise crap/not crap. A smaller subset actually wants to read. A much smaller subset wants validation for their own fanboyism. You lose the first and last group by dropping numbers.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 16:39 PHJF

The only acceptable form of review is one that doesn't end in a number (or in rarer cases, a/b/c/d/f)  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 16:31 Prez

The Ars Technica review of RAGE was so spot on for me that it's made me wonder why I bother with reviews most other places.

Yeah it was a good review. The fact that it thoroughly covered all of the major points of interest any gamer would want to know means that whether or not you agreed with the score, the information was there for the gamer to make an informed decision. The best reviews would seem to be ones that are "taste agnostic".

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 16:24 PropheT

Prez wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 15:39:
Same here. There was a pretty scathing article on RAGE (I think it was by Ars Technica) that pointed out negatives that I didn't consider to be major negatives, and the reviewer detailed things that he didn't like that could be said about other games that I like. In short, the scathing review actually made me want the game!

The Ars Technica review of RAGE was so spot on for me that it's made me wonder why I bother with reviews most other places. The entire reason that review stood out so much and still gets talked about is because you don't see that anywhere anymore; most places don't really talk about the game as much as they talk about the hype the game had before it released and score based on that (lookin' at you, IGN).

Reviews are useless for the most part because they're just an extension of pre-release hype and marketing. Kotaku had an article recently about how games are opinions and should always be treated as such, but how many people read reviews because they value that person's opinion rather than because they want to know if the game is worth their $60 or so? I don't want to have to research every review score for Lord of the Rings only to find out later it got a low score not for being a bad game, but because the reviewer's father was a dirty hobbit who left his mother when he was 8.

15. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 15:46 Beamer

Tumbler wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 15:15:
I like reading positive and negative reviews to games in general. I don't think reviews need to generally agree on content and quality as if it's some scientific process. Someone who gives Batman, for example, an 80 instead of something closer to the average score is not "doing it wrong".

This is why rottentomatoes is better than metacritic.

Rottentomatoes will read the substance of a review. A 2/4 on one site may be fresh. A 2/4 on another may be rotten.
Metacritic just averages them. And, since games go more by metacritic than rottentomatoes (another area in which the film industry is way ahead of the video game industry) there's pressure to conform to Metacritic's rating standard rather than to your own. If a 75/100 on metacritic is considered kind of crappy then there's significant pressure to follow that on your own site, otherwise you're damning the game with your review.

As the op/ed says, it isn't the job of the reviewer to boost the score. At the same time no reviewer wants to torpedo a good game, nor does he want his review to be seen as negative when it's positive.

Rotten tomatoes is so far superior.

-------------

14. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 15:43 Warskull

DG wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 11:26:
Somehow a brief review of a comment thread has always told me more than thousands of words on a multi-page in-depth professional review.

Most reviews never really get across well whether the game is fun.

Specifically multiplayer, I don't often see a review get this right. Maybe because many have to review pre-launch, so presumably any play they get is like what you get in closed betas: sterile and uncreative.

Somewhere along the lines the goal of video game writers stopped being informing their readers and they became a PR division of the publishers. I think the internet had a huge part in this because their source of income became ads and it is easy to get hits online, even if you writing quality is crap.

As much as an asshole Jim Sterling can be, I will give him credit for having fairly good taste in games and being one of the few reviewers that will give you an honest, quality review. He's just wasting his breath defending something that doesn't deserve to be defended. People know most of these reviewers are shills and are constantly manipulated by the publishers. If a publisher can demand an 8 why can't the readers?

13. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 15:39 Prez

I like reading positive and negative reviews to games in general.

Same here. There was a pretty scathing article on RAGE (I think it was by Ars Technica) that pointed out negatives that I didn't consider to be major negatives, and the reviewer detailed things that he didn't like that could be said about other games that I like. In short, the scathing review actually made me want the game!

Unfortunately, other factors came to light afterwards that dulled my desire for RAGE, but that is another story...

- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 15:15 Tumbler

I like reading positive and negative reviews to games in general. I don't think reviews need to generally agree on content and quality as if it's some scientific process. Someone who gives Batman, for example, an 80 instead of something closer to the average score is not "doing it wrong".  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

11. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 14:55 Creston

It IS your job to give an unbiased, independent review of a game in which you detail the gameplay, the game's strength and the game's weaknesses, WITHOUT KOWTOWING TO PUBLISHER PRESSURE.

Sadly, this last part seems quite too difficult for 99% of reviewers and game sites out there.

Creston

10. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 14:22 Beamer

Prez wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 14:18:
Beamer wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 13:38:
Prez wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 13:33:
Now there needs to be an article about what a reviewers job IS, considering how many of gaming "journalists" don''t seem to know.

Stay in business?

Ultimately, sure. But any good article would address specifics. Things like:

- devote enough time to do a proper review and be honest about how much you played the game
- don't let other media scores influence your own
- review lesser known titles fairly and stop using them to drive down your average reviewer score so you don't look like a softballer
- stop worrying about being first (which leads to compromises of your integrity in various ways)
- Stop with "automatic" scoring (i.e. It's Halo so it has to be at least 90%)

And so on...

The first one is the most pertinent to me, as it's the hardest to account for when reading a review. The others are fairly easy. As for being the first, most kind of need to be. If you don't have a day 1 review your review probably won't get read.

-------------

9. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 14:18 Prez

Beamer wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 13:38:
Now there needs to be an article about what a reviewers job IS, considering how many of gaming "journalists" don''t seem to know.

Stay in business?

Ultimately, sure. But any good article would address specifics. Things like:

- devote enough time to do a proper review and be honest about how much you played the game
- don't let other media scores influence your own
- review lesser known titles fairly and stop using them to drive down your average reviewer score so you don't look like a softballer
- stop worrying about being first (which leads to compromises of your integrity in various ways)
- Stop with "automatic" scoring (i.e. It's Halo so it has to be at least 90%)

And so on...

- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 13:42 TurdFergasun

i figured their lines would be more like:

"Will not get caught in the act, as to bring to light the corruption inherent in our industry."

7. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 13:38 Beamer

Stay in business?

-------------

6. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 13:33 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 13:22 Scud

Or maybe fun is a subjective concept and that you and the reviewer simply disagree on that point.  

4. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 11:26 DG

Somehow a brief review of a comment thread has always told me more than thousands of words on a multi-page in-depth professional review.

Most reviews never really get across well whether the game is fun.

Specifically multiplayer, I don't often see a review get this right. Maybe because many have to review pre-launch, so presumably any play they get is like what you get in closed betas: sterile and uncreative.

3. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 11:08 Parallax Abstraction

Jim Sterling is a misogynistic asshole and as good a base argument as he has in that article, the gaming press as a whole would be far better with him gone from it.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

2. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 10:31 InBlack

Drazula wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 10:25:
It's not a reviewer's job to score a game based on how much the publisher spends on their site.

QFT.

That article from Gamefront could have been really brilliant, everytime you see the word "gamers" replace it with "developers" and the brilliance ooozes out.
As it is, its just a turd.

I have a nifty blue line!

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo