Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

More Origin Spyware Accusations

SystemLink has a video from a German gamer (thanks Joao) showing what's alleged to be spyware activity from Origin, EA's online service. This uses a process monitor to attempt to show what sort of data from your system is being reported back to Electronic Arts. Eurogamer has EA's response to this, which denies any wrongdoing:

EA Germany has now updated Origin's terms of service in response to the furore and issued a statement denying its software was spyware.

"We have updated the End User License Agreement of Origin, in the interests of our players to create more clarity," EA Germany announced in a statement yesterday. "Origin is not spyware. Neither do we use nor install spyware on the PCs of users.

"We do not have access to information such as pictures, documents or personal data, which have nothing to do with the execution of the Origin program on the system of the player, neither will they be collected by us.

"EA takes the privacy of its users very seriously. We have taken every precaution to protect the personal and anonymous user data collected."

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

38. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 09:05 Verno

briktal wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 08:54:
On the other hand, what important influence does EA theoretically knowing you have program x installed have in the stuff that really matters in their lives?

Come on, you're smarter than this. I don't need to know all of the theoretical possibilities to know that I don't want someone having access to information that they have no right to. Using your logic, if it doesn't matter at all then they don't need to have it in the first place. Where do you draw the line of what matters and doesn't? Would scanning configuration files to figure out user preferences be ok? If they promise to make it "non-identifiable" is it ok if they mine the registry or your browser cookies?

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 09:04 eRe4s3r

.. for some people having fun is the whole point in living..  

36. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 08:54 briktal

ASeven wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 08:44:
Don't know what's sadder: That people will allow this to happen just to play a game that in the end doesn't have any important influence in the stuff that really matters in their lives, that there are people defending this, or that the way EA tries to justify itself for breaching user's privacy so horribly and treating its users like shit.

On the other hand, what important influence does EA theoretically knowing you have program x installed have in the stuff that really matters in their lives?

35. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 08:44 ASeven

Don't know what's sadder: That people will allow this to happen just to play a game that in the end doesn't have any important influence in the stuff that really matters in their lives, that there are people defending this, or that the way EA tries to justify itself for breaching user's privacy so horribly and treating its users like shit.  

34. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 08:39 necrosis

Beamer wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 07:39:
It isn't monitoring, it's looking at directories. From what I understand it is not opening anything.

Still not right, but it's basically doing what 90% of Google's programs do. Remember Google Desktop? Does Google even still make that? Now that was a program that looked at everything you did in detail...
Well considering Google Desktop was a search program it sort of has to touch all files on your computer to, well, search.

Origin has no fucking business touching anything outside its own directory and system files.

33. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 08:27 DedEye

The problem I have is that they will take my information from my machine and my actions and sell it. They are willing to commodify my existence without giving me a cut of financial gain or the opportunity to say "no don't do that" without wrapping it up in legalese in tiny print on page 103 of a EULA.

That is just treating me the customer like shit.

It sucks. I am not pork bellies nor some stock to be traded in for cash or service. I am a human, and I want the right to control how other legal fictions (corporations) make money off of me or trade in my identity.

This is not complicated.

This really struck a chord with me.......and I have to say, I agree.

32. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 08:15 briktal

So how long do I have to wait until I see Origin scanning my things?  

31. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 07:47 Dades

Beamer wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 07:39:
It isn't monitoring, it's looking at directories. From what I understand it is not opening anything.

Still not right, but it's basically doing what 90% of Google's programs do. Remember Google Desktop? Does Google even still make that? Now that was a program that looked at everything you did in detail...

People don't download Origin so it can scan their hard drive, that's exactly what many downloaded Google desktop to do before Windows gained useful search tools.

30. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 07:44 Xirgu

Zadig wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 20:57:
Since I'd already decided not to use Origin for any reason this won't affect me directly, but I appreciate EA working so hard to justify my decision.
My exact feelings..

29. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 07:39 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

28. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 07:38 TheVocalMinority

Those who would give up their privacy for a little entertainment deserve neither  
Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

27. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 07:35 baltar

I heard some success with installing origin under sandboxie to lock it down from digging around your machine.

I got a wrapped copy sitting on my desk and am torn between actually installing it in sandboxie or returning it for a refund.. Really haven't decided yet.

26. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 07:04 Cutter

I love the language of this. So, as long as it pertains to Origin - however they define that to be - than they can collect that information. Talk about language so wide open they can taxi a 747 through it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 05:10 JAGUART

space captain wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 03:06:
wonder all you want

you cant play cracked MP games unless you've got a cracked server, and thats not gonna happen for BF3 or any other games on these frontend DRM game launcher things, steam included

It's already out there. And it works in MP. So once again, you are completely ignorant.

"I like to play female characters in MMORPGs to trick men into homosexual chat." - space captain, June 18th, 2009.

24. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 04:57 jimnms

I wonder if it would be possible to run the origin client as a limited user which only has permission to access origin and its games.  

Steam Profile

23. new to this? Nov 2, 2011, 03:06 space captain

wonder all you want

you cant play cracked MP games unless you've got a cracked server, and thats not gonna happen for BF3 or any other games on these frontend DRM game launcher things, steam included

Go forth, and kill!

22. Re: cogs worried about gears Nov 2, 2011, 02:52 Tanto Edge

I wonder how integrated they really are though..
Maybe there's a reason to have a separate gaming PC altogether...

space captain wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 00:44:
Tanto Edge wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 00:10:
Eventually we will start to see solves surface where hackers have removed the Origin integration/requirement in these games.

yeh everything gets cracked eventually, except for MP games

so if you want MP on your EA games, you gotta sell your soul to ORIGIN!!

Mwahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

21. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 01:10 MonkeySpank

Welp,
I still haven't bought BF3 and have no plans on buying it for one reason and one reason only: Origin.
The day BF3 drops Origin's requirement, call me. Until then, I can only expect the worst from EA.

20. Re: cogs worried about gears Nov 2, 2011, 00:44 space captain

Tanto Edge wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 00:10:
Eventually we will start to see solves surface where hackers have removed the Origin integration/requirement in these games.

yeh everything gets cracked eventually, except for MP games

so if you want MP on your EA games, you gotta sell your soul to ORIGIN!!

Mwahaha

Go forth, and kill!

19. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 00:10 Tanto Edge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo