Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MechWarrior Online Art & Details

Here's the official press release for MechWarrior Online, the next installment in the MechWarrior series that was revealed yesterday. Accompanied by some Jenner concept art, the announcement offer further details on the game:

Set in the year 3049 during the early stages of a massive interstellar war, MechWarrior Online puts you in command of the most powerful war machine to ever walk the field of battle, the mighty BattleMech™. Command your Mech™ and customize it to suit your battlefield role; upgrade systems, replace weapons, and tweak armor with endless options.

MechWarrior Online lets players command at will: go head-to-head online alone or with friends in high-octane Conquest and VS modes. Band together and form your own Mercenary Corp, invite friends and battle other player-made Merc Corps for prestige and power. Pledge your allegiance to one of the five great houses and fight for control of precious Inner Sphere planets.

You will play a key role in a dynamic and ever-changing universe where player exploits impact the world around you and daily story updates and frequent content additions create epic changes to the Inner Sphere universe and its many inhabitants.

MechWarrior Online delivers a rich online experience, rewarding everything a player does with experience points, C-Bills, unlocks, and recognition. Upgrade skills and refine your role in gameplay using an all-new leveling system, and up-to-the minute detailed player statistics allow you to compare, track and share your progress with other players.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 2, 2011, 08:39 JDGrant

For the tabletop fans.
http://megamek.info/
I use this to do the combat for my mechwarrior campaign.
I'll probably pick this up, though I agree with some. The game from the first trailer looked amazing. Too bad they couldn't get funding.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 2, 2011, 00:57 Orogogus

The concept art looks great. I've never understood why the throwaway art for the video games has always been so much better than what the actual PnP game puts in its manuals and sourcebooks.  

38. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 23:46 Hump

Prez wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 19:47:
Mechwarrior the computer games were, Mechwarrior the PnP RPG wasn't and what they're doing here sounds like it'd fit into that just fine.

You're absolutely right. But let's be honest; which type of game did you think the majority of us Computer Game Players were hoping for and (based on the awesome trailer released a while back) expecting?

Prez, they KNEW what we wanted but they just couldn't come up with the funding. Given the option of not making anything or making something that we may very well enjoy, I'll take the latter. A Battletech MMOG doesn't exactly sound horrible to me.

But backpeddling to the dumbed down level of many current 'power-upping' 'leveling' kiddie games is not the direction it should be going.

"Backpedaling"? THEY COULDN'T GET THE FUCKING 8 FIGURE BUDGET THEY NEEDED to make the game that the trailer promised. How is that their fault? Further, MP mechwarrior is hardly "dumbed down". MP has always been the hallmark of the series. If I cant have a SP/MP game then I'd be happy with just MP. I can't grasp how some of you dense motherfuckers don't understand this. We're getting SOMETHING. To even try and predict how the game will play out is moronic. You speculators simply don't know. Period.

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2011, 23:53.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

37. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 23:23 Rossafur

One of the very welcome things I read in the interview was how the gameplay mechanics won't make it simply a rush for the biggest, baddest mech, ie: all types have their specialties and thus uses. The Mad Dog (Vulture, to IS) was always one of my favorite designs, but in the previous games it was a pretty limited amount of time that it was a viable choice before stepping up to something bigger. And then the Timber Wolf (Mad Cat) was my favorite beyond that, and even that ended up being outclassed (and thus a liability to use) later on.

I was also a little concerned about them saying they're switching to more urban combat versus sweeping plains, but their reasoning made sense: to keep it from ending up a circle-strafing sniper fest.

36. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 23:08 verrul

Salvaging was in the rules, it was part of making your own merc unit.  

35. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 22:41 Xombie

Spaced wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 22:23:
But backpeddling to the dumbed down level of many current 'power-upping' 'leveling' kiddie games is not the direction it should be going.

Where did this whole "it's not the type of game I prefer therefore it's for children and so it's objectively bad" meme come from?

In any instance, a fully multiplayer version of Battletech was concieved of 10 years ago, with Multiplayer Battletech 3025 from EA. It was a fantastic game, but got axed in beta when EA decided to drop their entire MMO division.

There's nothing about the Battletech universe that makes single player "core". It's originally (and currently) a board/miniature game, was a card game, and every video game version of the universe since 1999 has had multiplayer (MW 3&4, MechCommander 2, MPBT 3025, just to name the PC versions).

Of course there were more single player-centric MW games prior to these: no one had broadband yet.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

34. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 22:23 Spaced

I guess I don't care, honestly, because I don't think it matters. Just because there were Mechwarrior games ten years ago doesn't mean that anything they make now has to be an exact new continuation of that series to be worthwhile. Just because I liked those games (a lot) doesn't mean I can't like this one.

You may not care, but many of us do. And no one is claiming the game has to be the same as games made ten years ago, that's absurd and misrepresents what we're saying. There is a basic framework Mechwarrior games established that this game is bypassing in many of the most fundamental and important areas that make a MW game a MW game. There's plenty of room for advancements in terms of technology and gameplay. But backpeddling to the dumbed down level of many current 'power-upping' 'leveling' kiddie games is not the direction it should be going. It should be improving in the areas of technology and depth (ie tactics, gameplay, graphics, sound, controls, etc, etc), building to make a bigger and better game, not dumbing it down to points and unlocks, lol. It may have some good things going for it when it's done, but it sounds like a lot of the design focus of this game is being put on social networking stat kiddies. And where is the single player game so common and core to the MW series?

Games have come a long way since then and let's face it, if it shipped with only the features of the old titles most people would just bitch about how it was dated instead.

While games have advanced in some areas, many of the games in recent years have taken things back several steps in terms of gameplay and depth. Applying that trend is not good for a MW game. I hope I will be wrong in my concern and it will turn out to be a true MW game, but the information we're getting justifies my concern.

33. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 22:16 Xombie

You're absolutely right. But let's be honest; which type of game did you think the majority of us Computer Game Players were hoping for and (based on the awesome trailer released a while back) expecting?

At large, or just the doomssayers here at the Blues News forums?

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

32. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 21:59 Prez

Games have come a long way since then and let's face it, if it shipped with only the features of the old titles most people would just bitch about how it was dated instead.

Was anyone bitching about how dated the trailer they released some months back looked? I heard almost universal excitement. Not so much anymore.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

31. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 20:40 space captain

The only thing you should "expect" is death and taxes.

"but but but!! waaaaaaaaaaah"

yeh, i know, i know.. there, there

christ

Go forth, and kill!

30. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 20:01 PropheT

I guess I don't care, honestly, because I don't think it matters. Just because there were Mechwarrior games ten years ago doesn't mean that anything they make now has to be an exact new continuation of that series to be worthwhile. Just because I liked those games (a lot) doesn't mean I can't like this one.

29. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 19:47 Prez

Mechwarrior the computer games were, Mechwarrior the PnP RPG wasn't and what they're doing here sounds like it'd fit into that just fine.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

28. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 19:06 PropheT

Spaced wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 17:31:
Mechwarrior is about a deeper simulation approach, tactical decision making, dropship location selection (who to fight and where), earned selective upgrading and configuring, and as you know, much more. A kiddie power-up leveling MMO approach it should never be. It would be a severely wasted direction for the series to go.

Mechwarrior the computer games were, Mechwarrior the PnP RPG wasn't and what they're doing here sounds like it'd fit into that just fine. Battletech was the mech simulation, Mechwarrior was more about the pilots and had more than just the tactical strategy game tied into it.

27. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 18:41 Rossafur

Hump wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 18:12:
Reading your last paragraph its pretty obvious you didn't read anything at the site or, if you did, you didn't comprehend what was written. Go back, read the blog, read Russ Bullocks interview at PCGamer.com. The game will be closer to the core PnP rules than any version thats come before. "Salvaging" has always been part of the IP so this isn't merely PG trying to lift CoD's MP leveling/rewards system. Lastly, I've been part of said community for years. One of the wishes most often voiced by the fanbase was for a BT/MW MMOG. We'll finally see that.

This. Peoples, please actually read the info on the site before decrying what you're "worst-case-scenario"ing.

26. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 18:12 Hump

Spaced wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 17:31:
ok, those of you talking crap about the role playing and leveling aspect of the game

Who said anything about role playing? There's role playing? LOL No, I'm talking about the 'leveling', 'points' (lol, that one still cracks me up), and unlocks (oooo 'power-ups'... insert theme from Super Mario Brothers here...lol). Anything with 'Mechwarrior' in the name that has these things is a joke. I grew out of those dumbed down gameplay objectives long ago and expect far more realism, immersion, control, tactical options, and -selectable earned upgrades- in the games I play these days.

The last thing I want in a Mechwarrior game is some stupid 'you've unlocked the super-uber-mega-cannon-mark-78' message with sparkling confetti and a tada sound effect.

The entire game started as a pen and paper game. I spent many an hour playing battle-tech and mehcwarrior while growing up. we had a group of about 10 or so of us that met regularly.

Perhaps the time is coming to go back to the pen and paper game if this is the kind of video game we're going to get in the series. Don't get me wrong, I'll still give it a fair try. But if I get some sort of 'you've reached level 12!' message or unlocking 'power-ups', I'll probably be done with it and move on hoping for a better future for the series.

Mechwarrior is about a deeper simulation approach, tactical decision making, dropship location selection (who to fight and where), earned selective upgrading and configuring, and as you know, much more. A kiddie power-up leveling MMO approach it should never be. It would be a severely wasted direction for the series to go.

Reading your last paragraph its pretty obvious you didn't read anything at the site or, if you did, you didn't comprehend what was written. Go back, read the blog, read Russ Bullocks interview at PCGamer.com. The game will be closer to the core PnP rules than any version thats come before. "Salvaging" has always been part of the IP so this isn't merely PG trying to lift CoD's MP leveling/rewards system. Lastly, I've been part of said community for years. One of the wishes most often voiced by the fanbase was for a BT/MW MMOG. We'll finally see that.

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

25. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 17:35 space captain

Hump wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 17:12:
ut that for a few more days, but .. we'll talk then

Lets put it this way, are you still playing the beta?

yes - i can also say that, personally speaking, ive never played a game i considered "perfect", and also, ive been willing to put up with sometimes significant "bullshit" when playing games that really get me into the "zone" or whatever you want to call it

Go forth, and kill!

24. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 17:31 Spaced

ok, those of you talking crap about the role playing and leveling aspect of the game

Who said anything about role playing? There's role playing? LOL No, I'm talking about the 'leveling', 'points' (lol, that one still cracks me up), and unlocks (oooo 'power-ups'... insert theme from Super Mario Brothers here...lol). Anything with 'Mechwarrior' in the name that has these things is a joke. I grew out of those dumbed down gameplay objectives long ago and expect far more realism, immersion, control, tactical options, and -selectable earned upgrades- in the games I play these days.

The last thing I want in a Mechwarrior game is some stupid 'you've unlocked the super-uber-mega-cannon-mark-78' message with sparkling confetti and a tada sound effect.

The entire game started as a pen and paper game. I spent many an hour playing battle-tech and mehcwarrior while growing up. we had a group of about 10 or so of us that met regularly.

Perhaps the time is coming to go back to the pen and paper game if this is the kind of video game we're going to get in the series. Don't get me wrong, I'll still give it a fair try. But if I get some sort of 'you've reached level 12!' message or unlocking 'power-ups', I'll probably be done with it and move on hoping for a better future for the series.

23. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 17:13 deqer

HOLY ****. Forget Mechwarrior. I want Hawken.

It's too bad that Money always wins though. A big company will just see this Hawken and buy out the company, and then we lose. EA might buy them out, turn it into a P2W game, rush it's publishing with bugs, etc. then EA will do their "thing" by taking bug fixes and instead of patching the original game, they'll put all the bug fixes into their next title, called Hawken 2013, then next year Hawken 2014, just like EA does with all their ****.

22. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 17:12 Hump

space captain wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 16:35:
elefunk wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 16:28:
It's weird that people disappointed by the MechWarrior announcement (a full-blown mech *SIM*) would prefer to get excited about Hawken (a self-professed FPS-in-mechs).

Hawken looks awesome, but it's so ridiculously far from being anything close to MechWarrior that it's not even worth comparing them.

not sure if you are talking about me since you tried to play it safe by generalizing, but im excited about hawken, and im not dissapointed about the MW announcement - personally i think its pretty amusing how bent out of shape people get about their precious, precious video games

id rather wait till this MW game is available for testing or has been previewed by non-devs, before i start trying to form a definite opinion

its like the new tribes game.. cant talk about that for a few more days, but .. we'll talk then

Lets put it this way, are you still playing the beta?

- Jim Goad

21. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 17:07 Yakubs

Hellbinder wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 16:26:
It is a deep, detailed, fully fleshed out role playing system with as complex of rules as D&D from that era.

None of which will be used in this F2P MMO.

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo