Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Consoles Became "Lead Platform" Late in BF3 Development

The console versions of Battlefield 3 became the lead platform late in development of DICE's military shooter sequel, reports Computer and Video Games by way of the latest issue of PSM3. Earlier this year DICE's Karl-Magnus Troedsson said the PC was the "main" platform for the game, but he now explains that this changed late in the process due to time constraints:

"We said originally that the PC was the lead SKU of the game, but in mid-production we switched to console as lead platform to make sure we could get all the versions done for release," Troedsson confirmed.

"Our ambition at DICE is to use the power of each individual platform to get the most out of the game," he added.

View
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

63. Re: Consoles Became "Lead Platform" Late in BF3 Development Nov 2, 2011, 04:49 ^Drag0n^

"Everyone lies..."  

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

62. Re: Consoles Became Nov 2, 2011, 00:51 Jerykk

I understand that. Just saying that the release date could have been moved back to give them enough time to develop the PC version further. It may have been an advantageous release date as far as sales go, but it wasn't etched in stone. What happened to "when it's done"?

Sadly, that mantra died with Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever.

61. Re: Consoles Became Nov 1, 2011, 19:54 Sepharo

Bhruic wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 19:08:
Yeah I've seen that UI hint to request show up but it never worked for me. Neither has anyone else requested from me.

What happens when you hit it is you get a little icon above your head showing that you need healing/ammo. So people that have it can give it to you. But if the people don't react to it, well, it doesn't actually do anything on its own, so it appears to not be functioning. Bad design decision on their part, but it actually works.

Yeah sometimes you get a guy who'll hop right to it once you request and others just don't notice and run on by or worse hang out for a while but do nothing.

60. Re: Consoles Became Nov 1, 2011, 19:08 Bhruic

Yeah I've seen that UI hint to request show up but it never worked for me. Neither has anyone else requested from me.

What happens when you hit it is you get a little icon above your head showing that you need healing/ammo. So people that have it can give it to you. But if the people don't react to it, well, it doesn't actually do anything on its own, so it appears to not be functioning. Bad design decision on their part, but it actually works.

59. Re: Consoles Became "Lead Platform" Late in BF3 Development Nov 1, 2011, 18:19 Endo

I really didn't have the time to waste on this anyway. Now I know I'm not missing anything worth mentioning.  

58. Re: Consoles Became Nov 1, 2011, 18:06 Thelemite

Battlefield 3: The Day of Defeat Calls the Medal of Honor for Duty Edition - Now With Even Better Concrete and Mud Textures!  

57. Re: Consoles Became Nov 1, 2011, 17:19 <Electric-Spock>

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 16:47:
Glad I skipped it.

Your loss. Well that is if you enjoy competitive multiplayer FPS's.

I agree with the few here that say we still don’t have the large scale BF2 type maps. While operation firestorm is quite large, when you’re in an attack chopper it's like you fly over a lil' mountain and then boom, the whole map is right there. I don’t like how when flying you can pretty much get shot from any control point. I miss maps like Fushe Pass in Bf2 where you would have mini battles over a control point and you didn’t really have to worry so much about a tank machine gunning you from another control point as you were too far away to be hit. This was not always the case, but now you can be hovering over point A, and a guy with a shoulder mounted rocket at point D can still lock on and shoot ya down.

While it's hard to complain about map sizes compared to other FPS's, I hope the back to Karkand expansion and future map releases will bring back a little of that BF2 flavor. Maps like operation metro and serine crossing do not feel like battlefield maps. I guess those are for the console crowds, but I prefer having more than just 2 ways to go. Bottlenecks should not be in a BF map, leave that for the COD players who enjoy battling inside a matchbox.

Overall the game is a blast and best thing currently out there for my taste. Now, if they would just move that oversized POS chat window out the way I think everyone would enjoy that. Is there a console command to disable it? Seriously; It's is so annoying I'd rather not have in game chat then have that.

56. Re: Consoles Became "Lead Platform" Late in BF3 Development Nov 1, 2011, 16:47 Marvin T. Martian

Played the beta and alpha. Knew then it was just another run,gun and die game with consolitis desease and I was going to skip my first BF game! (Although it is pretty.)
Now they come out of the closet and let it be known how the game was really developed--AFTER THE RELEASE.
Glad I skipped it.

55. Re: Consoles Became Nov 1, 2011, 16:19 Prez

No sp? Fine. Then how about coop against bots for us fogey gamers with the reflexes of a pregnant yak?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

54. Re: Consoles Became Nov 1, 2011, 15:24 Sphinx

LittleMe wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 12:53:
If DICE can develop+release some mapping tools so that we can have proper, huge, Project Reality sized maps that would be epic.

Well at least the terrain will be better to look at while participating in Project Reality, aka Walking Simulator 3000 with added bonus of shoveling mod 2.3!

-Sphinx

53. Re: Consoles Became Nov 1, 2011, 15:21 Shataan

"but if anyone thinks that they purchased this game for something other than multiplayer, then that's someone purchasing without research."

Like it would take alot of research? Hardly. I paid for the whole package. And it matters to me. Yeah, I spend obviously most time in the mp. Sp doesn`t really hold alot of replay after all.

But I am pretty freaking annoyed that the PC version of the campaign, felt like it did once the quick time shit took over. For me, this killed the sp campaign. It was like taking a giant step forward, and then bam..... 3 or 4 giant steps backwards. Like a de evolution.... if you will.

I love the mp end. A big pat on the back for mp for sure, but they better not be high 5ing over the crap quick time event shit. For that matter, if they can`t quit screwing over their own sp campaign, I`d rather they just dropped it altogether next time, and it be pure mp only.

52. Re: Consoles Became Nov 1, 2011, 15:17 Fletch

Jerykk wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 12:24:
Console games need to pass MS/Sony certification before they can be released, so you have to submit your release candidates at least a month ahead of the planned release date.

I understand that. Just saying that the release date could have been moved back to give them enough time to develop the PC version further. It may have been an advantageous release date as far as sales go, but it wasn't etched in stone. What happened to "when it's done"?

51. Re: Consoles Became Nov 1, 2011, 14:48 tuddies

There is a modified executable that allows BF3 to be run WITHOUT that Origin crap!! Three cheers to RAZOR1911!!!  

50. Re: Consoles Became "Lead Platform" Late in BF3 Development Nov 1, 2011, 14:33 necrosis

Looks like EA spent some time programing Origin to snoop around your computer as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TAZ-HN9cOk&

49. Re: Consoles Became Nov 1, 2011, 14:23 EddieTheHack

lvitriol wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 14:02:
Oh so thats why my damn view flickers with jaggies whatever setting i use in catalyst or ingame, oh i forgot, im himmler reborn, right.
nah bro - your view flickers because your playing the game on a crappy video card.

48. Re: Consoles Became Nov 1, 2011, 14:14 Prez

Well, I hate the old developer "bait and switch" as much as anyone (not to mention outright dishonesty), but the fact of the matter is I didn't hear any bitching that the game felt overly "consolized" until this thread, so in truth it can't be that bad.

entr0py wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 13:12:
DICE: "You're BOTH our favorite children. Just not at the same time."

PC Gamers: Brood

Console gamers:

LMFAO!! Laugh2

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

47. Re: Consoles Became Nov 1, 2011, 14:02 lvitriol

Oh so thats why my damn view flickers with jaggies whatever setting i use in catalyst or ingame, oh i forgot, im himmler reborn, right.  

more sp.

46. Re: Consoles Became Nov 1, 2011, 13:55 yuastnav

Elessar wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 13:18:
They could do themselves, and everyone else, a favor if they simply didn't name a lead platform. [...]

Yes, they could do that but they also have to tell the console kids constantly that they are very special to them and that they love them very, very much so they don't act up.

45. Re: Consoles Became "Lead Platform" Late in BF3 Development Nov 1, 2011, 13:26 tuddies

BF3 is a bit more Spray & Pray than BF2, which emphasized aim and rewarded using single-shot, but perhaps that is because it is now consolized.

Still, the game is great and the graphics are absolutely fantastic - take note Carmack - this is what textures can do for an engine!

I hope that some servers can get rid of insta-spawn and the spamfest shooting that makes the current BF3 servers closer to COD than BF2.

44. Re: Consoles Became Nov 1, 2011, 13:23 Creston

entr0py wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 13:12:
DICE: "You're BOTH our favorite children. Just not at the same time."

PC Gamers: Brood

Console gamers:

Hahahahahahahaha. Bravo.

Creston

63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer