Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MechWarrior Online Interview

This interview on PC Gamer talks with Bryan Ekman and Russ Bullock of Piranha Games about MechWarrior Online, their finally unveiled free-to-play installment in the giant robot combat series. Here are a couple of questions and answers that speak to concerns we've already seen expressed about this project:

Letís talk about what MechWarrior Online is going to be. The first question on my mind as I read this press release is that, honestly, when I think MechWarrior, Iím thinking of, well, MechWarrior 2 through MechWarrior 4. Is MWO in that vein?

Creative Director Bryan Ekman: Yeah, absolutely. From a gameplay point of view, itís the online component of those games. Itís match-based gameplay. So you go in, you fight, and you come out. So in that sense, itís absolutely true to the heritage. The way you control the Mech, and the way the Mech works, and the options available to you during gameplay are inspired by Mech 2 through 4. Anybody who has played those games will feel right at home playing MWO.

OK. Does that mean itís going to be in a Mech cockpit, playing from the first person?

BE: Thatís right.

Russ Bullock, president of Piranha Games: Just a quick little filler there. I understand your question completely. And I think thatís the number one question a lot of fans have. They want to know if the game weíre making is going to be a MechWarrior product, or if itís going to be some new evolution, or similar to, say, the past Mech Assault products.

Very simply, I think we can just say, we are making a Mechwarrior game.

Just for Ė Oh, hell, itís PC Gamer. I know a million people are going to be asking this question: whatís the over / under on joystick support?

BE: Haha. Very good. You got very good odds on joystick support. We will have announcements down the road talking about some more of that. But we are very excited about being dedicated to the PC platform, because of all the little tools and hardware and things we can do with it. Including joystick support, and advanced joystick support. So, yes, absolutely. Weíre dedicated to it.

View
10. Re: MechWarrior Online Interview Oct 31, 2011, 22:40 RollinThundr

Xombie wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 21:45:
Paketep wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 21:25:
I don't know how MW will be received by the younger generations, but for those of us who played the BG in the 80's and where promised a MW2-MW4 style reboot by Piranha, this MMO is a fucking travesty.

I don't know what generation you're talking about, those of us who remember playing the beta of Multiplayer BattleTech 3025 in 2001 have been waiting for something just like this.

Everyone I know that loved BT is really angry about this and is not going to play the game. They're shooting themselves in the foot with this.

As someone who has been into BT since the mid-90's, and played MW4 multiplayer extensively, I can say that you and your circle of friends will be pretty alone in this sentiment.

Yeah honestly, I prefered how 3025 did MP compared to MW3 or 4. Squads against squads, battling for actual control of sectors. Shame they never were able to ship that, it had so much promise.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Oct 31, 21:04 Re: MechWarrior Online Interview Prez
  2. Oct 31, 21:09  Re: MechWarrior Online Interview space captain
  3. Oct 31, 21:25   Re: MechWarrior Online Interview Paketep
  6. Oct 31, 21:45    Re: MechWarrior Online Interview Xombie
>> 10. Oct 31, 22:40     Re: MechWarrior Online Interview RollinThundr
  9. Oct 31, 22:35    Re: MechWarrior Online Interview space captain
  24. Nov 1, 09:08     Re: MechWarrior Online Interview Asmo
  4. Oct 31, 21:33 Re: MechWarrior Online Interview Cutter
  5. Oct 31, 21:38  Re: MechWarrior Online Interview elefunk
  12. Oct 31, 23:04   removed Cutter