Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012

A fully decoded version of the teaser image from MechWarrior 5, reveals the full release date for Piranha Games' upcoming MechWarrior reboot. Word is the robot combat game is due in summer 2012. On the other hand, the release of this image was planned for 2:00 pm EDT today before a setback pushed it back a couple of hours, which seems like a good illustration of the fragile nature of advance release dates. The image also lists the game's title as "MechWarrior Online." Thanks Hump.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012 Nov 1, 2011, 08:31 Bhruic

Hardly a surprise. Microsoft only cares about the success of the X360 - it doesn't give a shit about PC games or multiplatform titles.

True or not, that's completely irrelevant to the MW issue. They had no problems with it being on the PC, they just didn't want it on the PS3. Which is no surprise, I'm sure Sony would do the exact same thing if they could.

The "bad guys" here, if you want to use the term, are the publishers who seem convinced that they couldn't sell enough copies on PC/XBox360 to justify the development costs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012 Nov 1, 2011, 01:06 Bumpy

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 19:51:
No singleplayer = not interested.

I feel like I am going to be writing that more and more as the years go by.

I'll third this notion. I want my Mech2 game in a modern, fresh game engine.

20. Re: MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012 Nov 1, 2011, 00:49 Kastagir

Prez wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 19:59:

You and me both.

That's likely because you're more than 14 years old. Chronologically or emotionally, take your pick.

19. Re: MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012 Oct 31, 2011, 23:44 theyarecomingforyou

Hump wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 19:04:
Evidently the buzz generated was overwhelming but all of the big 5 publishers said "No" because MS didn't want to allow a PS3 port which basically scuttled any shot the game had in its original form.
Hardly a surprise. Microsoft only cares about the success of the X360 - it doesn't give a shit about PC games or multiplatform titles. They fucked up with the Halo series, they fucked up with Gears Of War, they fucked up with Halo Wars... seriously, Microsoft knows bugger all about how to handling games studios. Even the Xbox Live service is proving a problem, as they refuse to allow free updates and aim to monetise everything that comes near them. I mean, they charge for multiplayer access.

Microsoft can piss off. I have zero faith in them when it comes to gaming. I think it's a miracle that they haven't further butchered the Windows gaming experience, though their shitty GFWL service did a good job trying. To think that they originally wanted to charge for that shit!

As for the teaser image. It looks terrible. I loved the original Mechwarrior games but I have zero interest in a F2P / P2W / MMO version. Give me a co-op game with competitive multiplayer and we have a winner. But I can't be bothered with cell-shading, especially not if it's anything like that teaser image. Borderlands is one of the few games that I can cope with that style artwork but it wasn't my favourite aspect of the game.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

18. Re: MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012 Oct 31, 2011, 20:07 Shataan

I`d like a sp campaign, but it done in such a way as it gets players to know how to properly pilot in mp.  

17. Re: MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012 Oct 31, 2011, 19:59 Prez

You and me both.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012 Oct 31, 2011, 19:51 StingingVelvet

15. Really???? Oct 31, 2011, 19:09 Shataan

" So not one publisher looked at that tech demo and thought it would sell?"

Just goes to show ya that the Publishers really don`t have a clue bout just how long we have been nearly begging for a new real Next Gen Mechwarrior. They do NOT know the Mechwarrior or SIM buyer bases.

I as well do not believe aNY dev team or Publishers anymore when they say the game will be PC centric or exclusive. BF 3 was supposed to be PC, yet the sp campaign came to us full consolized.

If.... IF.. if a real Next Gen Mechwarrior ever becomes a reality, I hope it is HEAVY in SIM look and FEEL, but easy to grasp. And, it MUST have an actual incockpit view. No quaker HUD B/S.

14. Re: MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012 Oct 31, 2011, 19:04 Hump

after reading the Dev Blog about what happened after the 2009 video I am stunned.

http://mwomercs.com/news/2011/10/2-dev-blog-0

Evidently the buzz generated was overwhelming but all of the big 5 publishers said "No" because MS didn't want to allow a PS3 port which basically scuttled any shot the game had in its original form.

While I'm disappointed we won't get a true single player campaign, the game they are proposing sounds close to what Multiplayer Battletech 3025 was and then some. Thats a win IMO. At least the spectre of having to dumb down the gameplay for console kids will be absent.

Given what Pirhana went through, I think they are going the route most fans of the IP would like, a solid MP experience with the bonus of it being in a persistent online universe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

13. Re: MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012 Oct 31, 2011, 18:58 Prez

Talisorn wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 18:11:
I would give my left testicle to play a proper Mechwarrior MMO.

I would sacrifice your right testicle to get a singleplayer MW game.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012 Oct 31, 2011, 18:11 Talisorn

I would give my left testicle to play a proper Mechwarrior MMO.  

11. Re: MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012 Oct 31, 2011, 18:03 Wildone

millenials cant handle anything 'sim' so you'll be lucky..  

10. Re: MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012 Oct 31, 2011, 18:03 Paketep

Another shitty P2W MMO. Great, just great.

Way to crush everyone's hopes. Fuck you, Piranha.

9. Re: MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012 Oct 31, 2011, 17:57 RollinThundr

So not one publisher looked at that tech demo and thought it would sell? Jesus, I'd give my left nut for a proper MW game again. Though if this online thing plays anything like the Kesmai (RIP) developed, EA canned Multiplayer BattleTech: 3025 I think I can deal. Still disappointing news.  

8. Re: MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012 Oct 31, 2011, 17:05 qsto

PCGamer is saying it's PC exclusive... soo I'm guessing it'll be F2P a la WoT?  

7. Re: MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012 Oct 31, 2011, 17:01 space captain

Bumpy wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 16:58:
how 'sim' it will be and that it won't be dumbed down.

ha! yeh, ok

Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012 Oct 31, 2011, 16:58 Bumpy

Meh to this news.

All I want to hear is about the SP part, how 'sim' it will be and that it won't be dumbed down.

5. Re: MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012 Oct 31, 2011, 16:56 nutshell42

If I wanted Mechwarrior Online I'd play MW Living Legends.  

4. Re: MechWarrior 5 in Summer 2012 Oct 31, 2011, 16:30 Prez

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 16:28:
It says "MechWarrior Online" on the pic so is this going to be an MMO or wot?!?

Oh God no. NO. NOOOOOO!!!!!

I might just die of sorrow were that to be true. Bawling (And then in the spirit of Halloween, come back and haunt Piranha Games for ever more)

- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: MechWarrior 5 in Summer 2012 Oct 31, 2011, 16:28 CJ_Parker

It says "MechWarrior Online" on the pic so is this going to be an MMO or wot?!?

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo