Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Jagged Alliance: Back in Action "Plan & Go" Combat Detailed

Kalypso Media and bitComposer Games send along a new Developer Diary Part 7 from Jagged Alliance: Back in Action describing the "Plan & Go" combat system in the upcoming remake of Jagged Alliance II, the PC strategy sequel. Word is: "The new system allows for the player to switch between real-time play, and a waypoint-styled movement and combat, for ultimate battlefield flexibility." The article is accompanied by this batch of screenshots.

View
4. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Oct 31, 2011, 16:22 ShakyJake

I was a bit leery of this new system when I first heard about it, but now I find myself looking forward to it. Just as the DD implies, the game will be as "RTS" as Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age, and I know I spent plenty of time in those with the game paused, planning. The main complaint about real-time strategy is that you simply can't control a large action efficiently in real-time, but having a planning mode makes that a moot point. And besides, it's really cool to watch your guys performing all together in concert, which is the whole appeal to RTS in the first place.

I'm just left wondering how well some elements of the action point system will transfer over. Characters that had more action points than others simply were able to do more, and I wonder if those characters in this new incarnation will translate that by being able to run faster? Shoot faster? Or maybe the skill system will make these possible on an individual basis? The main thing for me that I'm hoping for is to still have all the tactical challenge of the earlier games, while keeping all the campiness that made the game so enjoyable.

In other words, I will choose to remain cautiously optimistic.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Oct 31, 12:45 Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action "Plan & Go" Combat Detailed Pineapple Ferguson
  2. Oct 31, 14:01  Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Prez
  3. Oct 31, 14:06  Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Mingus
>> 4. Oct 31, 16:22   Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action ShakyJake
  5. Oct 31, 16:42 Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Acleacius
  6. Oct 31, 16:48  Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Prez
  7. Oct 31, 16:53   Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Acleacius
  8. Oct 31, 17:03 Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action "Plan & Go" Combat Detailed Bumpy
  9. Oct 31, 17:05 Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Acleacius
  10. Oct 31, 17:33  Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Prez
  11. Nov 1, 09:27   Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Beamer
  12. Nov 1, 16:29    Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Prez

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo