Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Jagged Alliance: Back in Action "Plan & Go" Combat Detailed

Kalypso Media and bitComposer Games send along a new Developer Diary Part 7 from Jagged Alliance: Back in Action describing the "Plan & Go" combat system in the upcoming remake of Jagged Alliance II, the PC strategy sequel. Word is: "The new system allows for the player to switch between real-time play, and a waypoint-styled movement and combat, for ultimate battlefield flexibility." The article is accompanied by this batch of screenshots.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Nov 1, 2011, 16:29 Prez

Every JA sequel/side project revealed thus far has been terrible

And I've bought and enjoyed them all to varying degrees because I'm that desperate for this kind of game.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Nov 1, 2011, 09:27 Beamer

There's no reason to hope this turns out well. It won't. This will be terrible. Every JA inspired game has been terrible. Every JA sequel/side project revealed thus far has been terrible (and none have been released under the JA banner.)

Going "Plan & Go" also sounds terrible. That makes it Frozen Synapse, which was a great idea made less fun by Plan & Go. I'd much rather a JA FPS, one completely different, than one kind of the same but mostly crummy.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Oct 31, 2011, 17:33 Prez

I remember considering Hammer and Sickle but ultimately not getting it though I can't remember why. I haven't thought about it since until now that you mentioned it here. I may have to get it.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Oct 31, 2011, 17:05 Acleacius

Unofficial Patch, Novik65 is the creator of Hammer & Sickle. Btw, it's pretty difficult game, as my post in the thread mentions to Novik65, so just take that into consideration.

We had a hell of a lot more posts than those few stickies, maybe I have to log in to see them all. They might have been on the Nival board though they still exist, can't find the forums, atm.

I'm 90% sure Novik65 at the very least started and did most of the work. One thing, as everyone probably knows when dealing with indies from a different language from you own, don't expect great language localizations.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

8. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action "Plan & Go" Combat Detailed Oct 31, 2011, 17:03 Bumpy

Will absolutely require a demo.

JA2 wasn't broken.

Waiting for it..............its coming...........next up............

a JA game thats first person corridor shooter with regen health, ideal with gamepads and auto cover system.

7. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Oct 31, 2011, 16:53 Acleacius

Prez wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 16:48:
Wasn't Hammer and Sickle kind of a follow up to Silent Storm?
I was on their forums during release and to best of my memory this was made by a Russian guy who was a Huge fan of JA and SS. He started it as a mod and Nival like what they saw so much they made it a stand alone game. I'll see if I can find out more.

I edited my first post to add the starforce comment.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

6. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Oct 31, 2011, 16:48 Prez

Acleacius wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 16:42:
It might be slightly OT but Hammer & Sickle on Amazon is worth a look. The critic reviews are too harsh, this was a game made by one guy of course it had bugs at release. Check out the fan reviews.

Wasn't Hammer and Sickle kind of a follow up to Silent Storm?

- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Oct 31, 2011, 16:42 Acleacius

Hope this turns out well, really enjoyed these games.

It might be slightly OT but Hammer & Sickle on Amazon is worth a look. The critic reviews are too harsh, this was a game made by one guy of course it had bugs at release. Check out the fan reviews.

Edit: After doing some research, I had forgotten Hammer & Sickle used starforce. There is a cracked exe if you decide to buy the indie game.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2011, 16:50.

4. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Oct 31, 2011, 16:22 ShakyJake

I was a bit leery of this new system when I first heard about it, but now I find myself looking forward to it. Just as the DD implies, the game will be as "RTS" as Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age, and I know I spent plenty of time in those with the game paused, planning. The main complaint about real-time strategy is that you simply can't control a large action efficiently in real-time, but having a planning mode makes that a moot point. And besides, it's really cool to watch your guys performing all together in concert, which is the whole appeal to RTS in the first place.

I'm just left wondering how well some elements of the action point system will transfer over. Characters that had more action points than others simply were able to do more, and I wonder if those characters in this new incarnation will translate that by being able to run faster? Shoot faster? Or maybe the skill system will make these possible on an individual basis? The main thing for me that I'm hoping for is to still have all the tactical challenge of the earlier games, while keeping all the campiness that made the game so enjoyable.

In other words, I will choose to remain cautiously optimistic.

3. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Oct 31, 2011, 14:06 Mingus

I said it once, and I will say it again: this "Plan and Go" system is an attempt to satisfy both real time and turn based combat fans, without satisfying either fan base.

There is the old adage, if it ain't broke....

2. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Oct 31, 2011, 14:01 Prez

Goddammit!! JA2 was utter perfection - why mess with it? Ah well, I'll try this out anyway. But it's hard to make the argument that this is a "remake" with what sounds like a drastic change to the core mechanics.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action "Plan & Go" Combat Detailed Oct 31, 2011, 12:45 Pineapple Ferguson

Terrible. What was wrong with turn based again?  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo