Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues

A post by NVIDIA tech support to the NVIDIA Forums looking to address driver restart issues connected with the latest GeForce reference drivers (thanks Mashiki). While noting that they have "been able to reproduce the major Battlefield 3 issues and have marked this as must fix for the upcoming driver in November," they have not been able to reproduce TDR (driver reset) issues, and are offering to pay roundtrip shipping to evaluate cards from users in the U.S. Here's the deal:

R280.xx or later Firefox/IE9 TDR issue - We have ordered some of the retail graphics cards that have been mentioned in these threads to resolve this issue. However it would be of great help to us if anyone who is facing this problem can send us their graphics card to diagnose internally at our Santa Clara office since the cards we have been tested so far do not seem to show the TDR issues end users are reporting in this forum. We can pay for shipping both ways and I can probably get some free game codes to offer you for your time. Please PM if you would be willing to do so. You must be in the USA however since international shipping can complicate things.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Nov 1, 2011, 09:03 wrlwnd

PropheT wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 14:18:
Prez wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 14:11:
Send them your videocard??? I have never heard such a thing. What, they don't have any Nvidia Geforce videocards laying around there at Nvidia?

They'll have reference boards, it's possible the problem is with modifications other manufacturers have added to the cards later and that's what they want to see.

So maybe, they should, ummm, buy some of the boards they're hearing problems about??

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Nov 1, 2011, 01:52 dumpy

I never had any problems with my Gigabyte 285 GTX. But I now own a Gigabyte 560ti SOC rev 1.0, and about 6 months after buying it TDRs galore. The Witcher 2 was barely playable, so was Anno 1404, Civ V, FarCry 2, and now Battlefield 3. I've done everything possible to find a solution. I won't ever buy an overclocked card again, most likely won't buy Gigabyte again, and may not buy NVidia again.

Disappointing.

39. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 19:52 [VG]Reagle

I have been getting them with some video drivers lately particularly in firefox...  

As of 06/12/2014 I will ONLY post positive messages. I am done trying to tell the truth about sucky games.

38. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 17:37 Prez

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 16:36:
Prez wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 14:24:
That makes sense. It's just I've never heard the like before.
Almost all videocard makers will take your mobo+videocard for testing these days if you believe you have a system based incompatibility. Some will also cover the shipping both ways as well.

Really? That's pretty cool. I haven't heard of this before now, but that's probably because I'm pretty good at figuring out system incompatibilities on my own, so I never looked.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

37. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 17:17 Veterator

Happens a lot on an old 8800GTX and TF2 with the last couple revisions of drivers. But then the drivers fix issues with other stuff...so it's deciding which problems you are willing to put up with at this point.

I'll take one of their good cards in exchange for mine......

36. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 17:00 Creston

Beamer wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 14:19:
Every symptom seems to point to a different component, which does lead back to mobo but nothing specifically screams "mobo."

And that's usually when it's the mobo.

Creston

35. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 16:36 Mashiki Amiketo

Almost all videocard makers will take your mobo+videocard for testing these days if you believe you have a system based incompatibility. Some will also cover the shipping both ways as well.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

34. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 16:11 Elessar

Dmitri_M wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 13:32:
I struggled with graphics driver timeouts for..years..in certain games. There are endless threads about this issue with 100s of "solutions". Eventually I fixed it by setting the power management in the Nvidia driver panel from "performance" (the default) to "maximum".

The graphics card was going into a low power mode while playing games causing the timeout.

A system at my work came down with the same issue and in that instance this fix also worked.
Nice. I will try this.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

33. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 15:48 Joss

Dmitri_M wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 13:32:
I struggled with graphics driver timeouts for..years..in certain games. There are endless threads about this issue with 100s of "solutions". Eventually I fixed it by setting the power management in the Nvidia driver panel from "performance" (the default) to "maximum".

The graphics card was going into a low power mode while playing games causing the timeout.

A system at my work came down with the same issue and in that instance this fix also worked.
And there ya go!

32. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 15:37 CJ_Parker

SandForce or OCZ, I don't remember, recently did something very similar when they were looking into the BSOD issues of drives based on the SF-2281 controller. They even asked people to send them their entire rig for testing, not just the faulty drive.

31. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 15:13 AdamK47

Are people having this problem with IE9? My current setup is using three GTX 580s in SLI and I haven't had this problem using IE9 with the latest 28x.xx drivers.  

30. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 14:31 PHJF

The issue with Firefox is brand new. When Human Revolution came out I updated to 28x.xx and woosh, Firefox began crashing the video driver.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

29. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 14:28 DG

Beamer wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 11:04:
I have a much larger issue with my system that I still haven't solved. It will reboot every time it goes into a power-saving mode, even if that power-saving mode is just shutting off the monitors. Occasionally it will reboot while I'm using it. It will also occasionally reboot when coming back from sleep mode, assuming it managed to go into it. And these rebooting fits come in for a week or two then disappear for a week or two, but during that week it will also crash when I try to install software.

Baffling. It passes every diagnostic exam. It very rarely gives me a blue screen so I can't check that. I think (but I'm not sure) changing any power options doesn't help, so it may be that it crashes just when it hasn't been used in a while. Having a movie running in the background at all times prevents the crashing entirely. I have no clue if this is motherboard, HDD or video card related. Certain aspects seem to indicate any of the above.
This rings a bell. I'm sure I've stumbled over something at least similar on the Anandtech forums while I've been researching my new build.

Do you by any chance have a Sandforce-based SSD, that doesn't use the recent firmware?

28. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 14:24 Prez

PropheT wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 14:18:
Send them your videocard??? I have never heard such a thing. What, they don't have any Nvidia Geforce videocards laying around there at Nvidia?

They'll have reference boards, it's possible the problem is with modifications other manufacturers have added to the cards later and that's what they want to see.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 14:23 Kastagir

Morgan19 wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 10:55:
TDR stands for "timeout detection and recovery"; it's apparently a part of Windows 7. From what I understand, what happens is that your computer reduces the power to your card, thinking nothing's using it, and Windows detects that as a problem and then the TDR error kicks in. When that happens, it makes your system freeze for a second, the screen goes black for 4-5 seconds, and then comes back with a "the display driver stopped responding" popup. It's not a hard crash (for me, anyway), but it can be annoying especially when it happens four or five times in under an hour.

I started getting them as soon as I installed a GTX 560 Ti last month, but the problem only seems to happen when I'm in Firefox. I've had three sets of Geforce drivers during the month and so far they've all done it.

For the time being, disabling TDR has worked for me.

TDR is indeed something that was added to the Win7 driver model and without it, your system would just bluescreen as it always did whenever there was a video driver failure. This often happens because the drivers don't wait long enough to do a TDR, which restarts the video driver. I've seen this happen on defective cards but also on good cards with certain games. Never with Firefox. This issue has been going on for over a year, so for Nvidia to finally come out and say they're looking at it...and ask for people to send in their video cards...is not encouraging. I guess it could be related to the BIOS that some manufacturers put on their cards, and the last thing Nvidia wants to say is to flash your card down to the reference BIOS. I'm sure that wouldn't go over well.

26. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 14:21 beaves

Probably not, I get a black screen. The screen will shut off for maybe a second then come back on, I then get a popup telling me the driver reset.

This happens at random, sometimes 3 or 4 times in a 3 hour session just using firefox. btw all my power settings in windows 7 64 bit are set to never power off.

25. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 14:19 Beamer

Creston wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 11:15:
Beamer wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 11:04:
I have a much larger issue with my system that I still haven't solved. It will reboot every time it goes into a power-saving mode, even if that power-saving mode is just shutting off the monitors.

This may be too obvious, but have you tried just changing your power options so that nothing ever shuts down?

In any case, if I had to guess, it's either a wonky Windows install, a bad PSU, or a bad mobo. Helpful, huh?

Creston

Reinstalled Windows once already. Although I had to format the HDD to do so. Remember the issues I had with installing things? That included a new Windows install - it froze at the same spot three times. Which got me back to thinking HDD.

Yeah, thought about the PSU but it wouldn't necessarily explain the install issue, and would maybe be something that appeared when I was gaming and put the system under a heavy load.

Mobo seems kind of likely, but it's hard to tell and this isn't annoying enough for me to swap the mobo. Doing that sounds miserable.

It's so weird in that I've never before found an issue I couldn't fix, let alone even diagnose. Every symptom seems to point to a different component, which does lead back to mobo but nothing specifically screams "mobo."

Whatever. I built this thing from $800 of parts heavily on sale at Microcenter a year ago. I'll let it ride another year and build a new one. The crashing wouldn't bug me much if I didn't seem to lose my cookies every time, forcing me to relog in to every site. Like here. Everything will be newest-first upside down when I return after a crash.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 14:18 PropheT

23. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 14:11 Prez

I have a 560ti,(awesome card btw), and while I don't get a black screen, I will get the intermittent pauses in games and Firefox lock-ups. Could this still be the 'TDR' being discussed here?

- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 13:32 Dmitri_M

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo