Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 31, 2011, 15:52 Flatline

space captain wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 11:40:
macbooks and imacs have seamless networking.. way better than windows

dunno what yer smokin over there

im definitely not an apple fanboy, altho i am ACMT

When apple products work, they "just work". When they don't work, it's a f*cking nightmare because they were designed by engineers who believe that they will always "just work" and thus don't give users the tools to troubleshoot the problem.

We have a small, creeping mac influence in our company. There's a diehard mac fan who insists we should switch the entire company over immediately- when I ask him what we'll run our accounting software on since that's windows-only, what we'll run our scalehouse software on- that's windows only, and how we'll migrate the data from windows to mac in a timely and cost-effective manner he just looks and me and says smugly "well I don't know but I'm sure it'll all just work." Like Macs spawn relevant software when you turn them on.

My policy is "You can use a mac, but I won't support it. At all. If you want me to support it, I need a Mac to get up to speed on and to muck with." To date nobody's ever taken me up on that. iPhones are an exception because 1. they use activesync, which I know how to set up, and 2. they bought me one to get up to speed on.

But yeah, generally I discourage macs because I can't adequately support them, and I don't want to hear from the mac-hole that I'm somehow an idiot or incompetent at my job because I don't divine how to fix a mac when it doesn't "just work" (which has actually happened three times now. The third time I actually quit my job for about 20 minutes until they talked me into coming back).

Oh, and the "Genius" bar at the apple shops is anything but. Owner bought a macbook like six months ago and wanted to access exchange via HTTP: Something that I've pushed most windows laptops to and it works great. Apple's yahoos couldn't get it done even after I gave them the relevant information. Which is silly, because you'd think "I want to connect to exchange" would be a common enough request. They then suggested that the owner spend another few thousand dollars or so and get a server that could entirely replace our mail server and then the lone macbook would connect just fine.

Thankfully the owner has a short temper. He stormed out, called me up, bitched for a few minutes, and an hour of research later his email was merrily syncing up, his calendar and contacts were up to date, and he was happy as a clam.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Oct 31, 10:48 Employee Macs blocked more Creston
  2. Oct 31, 11:17  Re: Employee Macs blocked more xXBatmanXx
  4. Oct 31, 12:48   Re: Employee Macs blocked more Raven
  5. Oct 31, 13:14    Re: Employee Macs blocked more xXBatmanXx
  3. Oct 31, 11:40 Re: Morning Safety Dance space captain
>> 6. Oct 31, 15:52  Re: Morning Safety Dance Flatline
  7. Oct 31, 16:23 Re: Morning Safety Dance space captain
  8. Oct 31, 17:51  Re: Morning Safety Dance Kitkoan
  9. Oct 31, 19:46 Re: Morning Safety Dance space captain
  10. Oct 31, 20:15  Re: Morning Safety Dance Kitkoan