Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 31, 2011, 20:15 Kitkoan

space captain wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 19:46:
did you check system preferences? create a new network location? how about running diags through the network utility?

didnt think so

just because they are "voodoo" to you doesnt mean they arent functional machines

i build my own pcs and i love em, but this bullshit here sounds more like a bunch of dumbshits trying to cover their ass by saying "its the devil!" ,i.e. "its apple!"

when in reality, its all YOU.. or more to the point, your lack of ability, skill, knowledge and so on

We did. Didn't want to wait for an answer? Didn't think so. You're just so full of your pro-apple BS you don't want to let others ever mention that they had a less-then-absolute-perfect time with an Apple product.

Reality check: We've had them work before. We even got the guy who loves Apple and completely understands the Unix command line go at it (in fact it was him that has been able to get it working the last 5+ times after hours of work). Problem is, they keep crapping out and the last time we had a networking problem with them (they wouldn't connect the the printer on the network) he had to create a huge work around just to get them to see the printer... for a few days. They are now offline because we just can't keep getting the guy to fix them every few days (that and they are already dying after 3 years, re-formatted them but that solved nothing. Parts are wearing out).

They aren't "voodoo", never claimed them as "voodoo", and we've had people that are completely qualified to work on them that have an OSX background with a background in networking work on them and they just keep crapping off the network every few days to a week.

Any other BS you'd like to try? I'm all ears...

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 31, 2011, 19:46 space captain

did you check system preferences? create a new network location? how about running diags through the network utility?

didnt think so

just because they are "voodoo" to you doesnt mean they arent functional machines

i build my own pcs and i love em, but this bullshit here sounds more like a bunch of dumbshits trying to cover their ass by saying "its the devil!" ,i.e. "its apple!"

when in reality, its all YOU.. or more to the point, your lack of ability, skill, knowledge and so on

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 31, 2011, 17:51 Kitkoan

One reason I'd put up is that Mac's really don't seem to like getting along with any other OS out there.
I work in an internet cafe and we have a few Macs for those who want them and honestly they've been a nightmare. They aren't used often (most people avoid the Macs even though they are the first computers you'll see when coming in), but they break down from the network way too often. In fact right now, one of them is no longer available because it refuses to connect online though the network (the other one will, but only through the wifi connection). They were also both reformatted a few weeks ago to no avail.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 31, 2011, 16:23 space captain

yeh well if you dont have any background in working with Unix at the command line, you probably shouldnt be trying to tech a mac, because using the terminal is key

i dont work in a "genius" bar, those guys are fucking idiots

dont get me started on apple customers - they are the most tech illiterate, entitled, arrogant fucks ive ever had to deal with

Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 31, 2011, 15:52 Flatline

space captain wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 11:40:
macbooks and imacs have seamless networking.. way better than windows

dunno what yer smokin over there

im definitely not an apple fanboy, altho i am ACMT

When apple products work, they "just work". When they don't work, it's a f*cking nightmare because they were designed by engineers who believe that they will always "just work" and thus don't give users the tools to troubleshoot the problem.

We have a small, creeping mac influence in our company. There's a diehard mac fan who insists we should switch the entire company over immediately- when I ask him what we'll run our accounting software on since that's windows-only, what we'll run our scalehouse software on- that's windows only, and how we'll migrate the data from windows to mac in a timely and cost-effective manner he just looks and me and says smugly "well I don't know but I'm sure it'll all just work." Like Macs spawn relevant software when you turn them on.

My policy is "You can use a mac, but I won't support it. At all. If you want me to support it, I need a Mac to get up to speed on and to muck with." To date nobody's ever taken me up on that. iPhones are an exception because 1. they use activesync, which I know how to set up, and 2. they bought me one to get up to speed on.

But yeah, generally I discourage macs because I can't adequately support them, and I don't want to hear from the mac-hole that I'm somehow an idiot or incompetent at my job because I don't divine how to fix a mac when it doesn't "just work" (which has actually happened three times now. The third time I actually quit my job for about 20 minutes until they talked me into coming back).

Oh, and the "Genius" bar at the apple shops is anything but. Owner bought a macbook like six months ago and wanted to access exchange via HTTP: Something that I've pushed most windows laptops to and it works great. Apple's yahoos couldn't get it done even after I gave them the relevant information. Which is silly, because you'd think "I want to connect to exchange" would be a common enough request. They then suggested that the owner spend another few thousand dollars or so and get a server that could entirely replace our mail server and then the lone macbook would connect just fine.

Thankfully the owner has a short temper. He stormed out, called me up, bitched for a few minutes, and an hour of research later his email was merrily syncing up, his calendar and contacts were up to date, and he was happy as a clam.

5. Re: Employee Macs blocked more Oct 31, 2011, 13:14 xXBatmanXx

Raven wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 12:48:
The problem is generally from people who only work with Windows trying to get the apple stuff hooked up to the network to work with it. Of course, they do it wrong and expect the IT person (who may be a windows guy too) to fix it.

I never had personal issues doing it - but the main problem is that it wasn't as easy back then as it is now, and I had streamlined setups for small and medium businesses. Throwing a bunch of extra UNEEDED technology on the network cause some idiot wants it - isn't a very good practice. All control is lost once you start letting that happen.

I always set expectations, and explained that any issues regarding these extra items would cost them a lot of money for me to spend time fixing it. That usually was the end of it.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

4. Re: Employee Macs blocked more Oct 31, 2011, 12:48 Raven

The problem is generally from people who only work with Windows trying to get the apple stuff hooked up to the network to work with it. Of course, they do it wrong and expect the IT person (who may be a windows guy too) to fix it.  

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 31, 2011, 11:40 space captain

macbooks and imacs have seamless networking.. way better than windows

dunno what yer smokin over there

im definitely not an apple fanboy, altho i am ACMT

Go forth, and kill!

2. Re: Employee Macs blocked more Oct 31, 2011, 11:17 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 10:48:
I would guess it's because a corporation's support staff is set up to support Windows. Ergo, if an employee has issues with their home system connecting to the network, the support staff at least knows what they're dealing with.

You won't find as many Apple-knowledgeable support staff in IT, so the risk of someone being unable to connect and then support not being able to figure it out is more likely.

That's a guess. My own company happily lets people connect with whatever new Toy du Jour Apple has created, and then expects us to figure out why their fucking iPod touch can't connect over a Cisco VPN client...

Creston

When I was doing IT work day to day, I had executive clients in fancy offices always wanting to use some weird fancy crap that they got from HP or some IT company that was not on the market. I would always tell them to enjoy it but don't connect it. They never listen and wanted it on the network. It was a nightmare. I was playing with tablets and ipad type devices 12 years ago - they havent evolved a ton, just thinner and faster.

I also never let my clients connect their apple products to the network, it created more problems than what it was worth.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

1. Employee Macs blocked more Oct 31, 2011, 10:48 Creston

I would guess it's because a corporation's support staff is set up to support Windows. Ergo, if an employee has issues with their home system connecting to the network, the support staff at least knows what they're dealing with.

You won't find as many Apple-knowledgeable support staff in IT, so the risk of someone being unable to connect and then support not being able to figure it out is more likely.

That's a guess. My own company happily lets people connect with whatever new Toy du Jour Apple has created, and then expects us to figure out why their fucking iPod touch can't connect over a Cisco VPN client...

Creston

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo