Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's the list of the ten bestselling games on Steam for the week as reported by Valve:

1. Football Manager 2012
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Dungeon Defenders
  4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  5. Stronghold 3
  6. Payday: The Heist
  7. Grand Theft Auto: The Complete Package
  8. Left 4 Dead 2
  9. Dead Island
  10. Dead Space Pack

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 1, 2011, 08:35 Verno

Jerykk wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 18:16:
Any discussion pertaining to videogames could be construed as a waste of time.

Any discussion with you certainly is Drool

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 31, 2011, 18:44 Sepharo

I like the discussion it has prompted but I didn't mean to suggest by my comment that I was expecting to see a drop... Just curious if there was one no matter how small

Yeah I considered that you could still be running Steam but at least the peak players counts in CS:S/CoD/TF2 may have dropped for the first few days.

Anecdotally though, I know a lot of people playing BF3 who aren't playing CS:S right now.

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 31, 2011, 18:16 Jerykk

Any discussion pertaining to videogames could be construed as a waste of time.  

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 31, 2011, 18:08 Verno

You're wasting time in other words. You're the one who claimed TF2 was steeper, my initial post was about the games not necessarily having overlapping markets. Rolleyes  

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 31, 2011, 17:44 Jerykk

I never said there wasn't a market for any of those games. I just completely disagree with your assessment that BF3 has a steeper learning curve than TF2.  

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 31, 2011, 17:18 Verno

Nonsense, there is a wide differentation of weapons and classes in BF3. Your summary is about as dismissive as me boiling TF2 down to "all you need to do is reduce the opponents health to zero LOLL!". That's without going into how users have to learn to use and combat gadgets/vehicles along with differening map modes without the use of a voip system. Both games have easy to grasp principles on the surface but much deeper gameplay systems.

What does it even matter anyway? If TF2 is the most advanced game in the universe how does that matter in the slightest in this discussion or are you just being needlessly pedantic? Just because people adopt one game doesn't mean the other doesn't have a market.

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 31, 2011, 15:48 Jerykk

TF2 has a wide variety of weapons, each requiring different skillsets. Using a flamethrower requires a completely different skillset than using a rocket launcher, which is completely different from a grenade launcher, which is completely different from a sniper rifle. Conversely, in shooters like CoD and BF3, the weapons all use the same fundamental skillset; the ability to aim at an enemy's head and fire. Doesn't matter if you're using a pistol, SMG, LMG, assault rifle, sniper rifle or shotgun, the required skillset is the same.

Then there's traversal. Learning to move proficiently in TF2 has a much steeper learning curve than in CoD and BF3. Rocket jumping, grenade jumping, mine jumping, double-jumping, turret jumping, etc, all require more skill than the rudimentary 4-way nav of other games.

Then there's the matter of classes. The classes in military shooters are minor variations of each other. They have slightly different weapons and items but still require the same fundamental skillsets. In TF2, the classes are wildly different from one another. Being a proficient spy doesn't make you a proficient soldier or a proficient scout.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 31, 2011, 14:51 Verno

Jerykk wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 14:47:
Johnny Casual might only play TF2 but that doesn't mean there isn't a different market of users out there for BF3.

I'm pretty sure Johnny Casual is more likely to play CoD or BF3 than TF2. TF2 has a steeper learning curve than either of those games.

Nah, there are casual users on every platform and that doesn't mean they all share the same tastes, not to mention I don't agree with your conclusion. I'm not sure what that has to do with the discussion either for that matter. They're simply different things which is what the original point was too. Memorizing loadouts and learning the classes has equivalents in perk setups, map memorization and vehicles in the case of BF3, not to mention it also features different modes like TF2 (not that anyone plays CTF anymore). I would probably rank them CoD->TF2->BF3 from in lowest to highest in terms of learning curve having played all three.

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 31, 2011, 14:47 Jerykk

Johnny Casual might only play TF2 but that doesn't mean there isn't a different market of users out there for BF3.

I'm pretty sure Johnny Casual is more likely to play CoD or BF3 than TF2. TF2 has a steeper learning curve than either of those games.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 31, 2011, 12:50 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 11:41:

Nothing looks out of place - doesn't look like they made a dent at all. In fact, not too long ago, Steam was only about 3 million users topped out a day, now they are 4.4 million users a day. The TF2 and CS numbers look about normal - so I would say BF3 had zero impact.

To be fair there has always been a pretty considerable lack of overlap between BF and CSS/CoD style communities. Johnny Casual might only play TF2 but that doesn't mean there isn't a different market of users out there for BF3. I'm really enjoying BF3 personally and our server fills up easily in prime time but I think Dice really missed the mark on a few easy things that would have made community growth easier. Battlelog is a closed platform to non-buyers and I think thats a huge mistake, it's their biggest selling point outside of the game itself.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 31, 2011, 12:00 Krovven

The stats mean fuck all in a comparison of whether BF3 pulled people off Steam. You can still have Steam running while Origin/BF3 are running so there is zero way to accurately gauge any change based on that.

Doesn't matter anyways. BF3 is a great game. Buggy as hell for a lot of people right now, but still a great game.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 31, 2011, 11:41 xXBatmanXx

Dev wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 00:43:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 30, 2011, 23:36:
I'd be interested in seeing if there was a significant drop in Steam's online count for BF3's launch and first week.

It's rare that such an enormous game is not available there, especially so being an FPS which is still the bread and butter of Steam.
And its easy enough to see since you can see steam stats for such things

http://store.steampowered.com/stats

Nothing looks out of place - doesn't look like they made a dent at all. In fact, not too long ago, Steam was only about 3 million users topped out a day, now they are 4.4 million users a day. The TF2 and CS numbers look about normal - so I would say BF3 had zero impact.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 31, 2011, 11:39 xXBatmanXx

oh and the voice comm? What do you expet from a console port!?  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 31, 2011, 11:38 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 08:56:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 01:52:
\
Seriously Dev? Like I don't know about that...
I need the stats from before and after compared, that site is only good for 48 hours. If I had the foresight to do this myself, I would have checked the stats at the right times. Wondering if there is a site that's already done it or at least one that stores the Steam statistics historically.

I think people are overestimating the appeal of BF3, my community hosts a BF3 server, a TF2 and a few CSS servers. BF3 has gained about 10 total players from those communities and the rest of the server is filled by pubbies, its full at prime time and relatively quiet the rest of the time. The CSS and TF2 servers are usually well populated the entire day/evening by comparison. We're hoping to grow our BF3 community but it's an uphill battle in some ways, particularly the lack of any public voice comm makes it difficult for people to get to know each other on the server.

It will go the way of all previous BF and CoD games after about 10 months. They will turn and burn the game and the DLC will fragment the community. The DLC really ruined Black Ops. We had 3 servers, and once the 2nd DLC came out - everyone quit playing.

Having to rent servers is another sure fire way to kill a communities staying power. Gets reay expensive really quick.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 31, 2011, 10:04 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 09:11:
I'd like to see how many of that 10 million copies of BF3 were sold on the PC.

I think that what was just what they shipped to retailers but I agree it'll be interesting to see the platform breakdown. Bad Company 2 was very successful on the PC, keeping parity with either console platform largely on the back of the Steam platform.

18. Re: chew on this Oct 31, 2011, 09:25 Beamer

Dmitri_M wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 08:12:
space captain wrote on Oct 30, 2011, 22:46:
im not offended, im just better than you

LOL you're a fucking moron

You guys don't realize he's referencing the Blizzard threads?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 31, 2011, 09:11 SpectralMeat

I'd like to see how many of that 10 million copies of BF3 were sold on the PC.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 31, 2011, 08:56 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 01:52:
\
I need the stats from before and after compared, that site is only good for 48 hours. If I had the foresight to do this myself, I would have checked the stats at the right times. Wondering if there is a site that's already done it or at least one that stores the Steam statistics historically.

I think people are overestimating the appeal of BF3, my community hosts a BF3 server, a TF2 and a few CSS servers. BF3 has gained about 10 total players from those communities and the rest of the server is filled by pubbies, its full at prime time and relatively quiet the rest of the time. The CSS and TF2 servers are usually well populated the entire day/evening by comparison. We're hoping to grow our BF3 community but it's an uphill battle in some ways, particularly the lack of any public voice comm makes it difficult for people to get to know each other on the server.

15. Re: chew on this Oct 31, 2011, 08:12 Dmitri_M

space captain wrote on Oct 30, 2011, 22:46:
im not offended, im just better than you

LOL you're a fucking moron

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 31, 2011, 01:52 Sepharo

Dev wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 00:43:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 30, 2011, 23:36:
I'd be interested in seeing if there was a significant drop in Steam's online count for BF3's launch and first week.

It's rare that such an enormous game is not available there, especially so being an FPS which is still the bread and butter of Steam.
And its easy enough to see since you can see steam stats for such things.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo