Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Dennis Ritchie Day. Thanks Slashdot.

We're more or less back to normal here in the BlueTower after a surprisingly early winter storm made its way up the northeastern U.S. yesterday. We lost power around sundown last night, but were pleased to find it was restored around dawn, which is a stroke of luck, as word is that other parts of our village are still blacked out. The main internet connection here is down, so I'm on my DSL backup, and the 20+ minutes I've been on hold with the cable company suggests their outages are widespread enough that I'm not going to be surprised if I'm on DSL for a few more days. Other than that, things didn't go too badly here: I have the walk shoveled and have pruned away the couple of branches that broke along the way. I think this was especially rough on the local trees, since they don't usually get covered in heavy wet snow like this while they still have so many leaves.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Draka.
Stories: Zombosium - a zombie conference at Winchester University.
Man has to get cut out of kiddie swing. Fat guy in a little coat. Thanks Boing Boing.
Metallica: India gig organisers arrested.
Science: Immune system defect may cause ME.
CDC panel recommends HPV shot for boys.
Pill 'lowers ovarian cancer risk'.
Media: Griefing The Controller.
The Wonder of Breasts with Riki Lindhome.
That Was A Quick 5 Minutes FAIL.
Piņata Party.
Follow-up: Faster-than-light neutrino experiment to be run again.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2011, 09:23 kanniballl

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 30, 2011, 16:50:
Zadig wrote on Oct 30, 2011, 13:51:
The last 2 winters in the northeast were bad, but reading about 19 inches of snow in NJ before Halloween is absolutely mindboggling. Makes me very happy I moved south.
Meh. Nothing really out of the ordinary, it's rare but it happens. Just remember that the first few founding years that the settlers landed and started setting up along the east coast, the winters were so severe that 10ft snows for the winter and 90% of the population being wiped out was pretty common.

And they walked to the village up a hill through the snow, BOTH WAYS.

True, parts of the world consider 19" little more than just flurries. My parents lived in Poland and had some supposedly severe winters.

But I really doubt the settlers that wound up in what would eventually be NJ or NY had 10' snowfalls. Maybe 10' snow DRIFTS, or after various separate snow falls they had 10'. Maybe further north / northwest they dealt with that (Canada and such).

Besides, the oddity here isn't the amount as it is the time of year. A decent snowfall in October while many of the leaves haven't even changed yet (let alone fallen) is rare for the region.

Normally I don't have a problem with the weather, but the trees really took a beating... as well as everything under them (like us).

-

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2011, 09:37.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2011, 08:39 Zadig

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 30, 2011, 16:50:
Meh. Nothing really out of the ordinary, it's rare but it happens. Just remember that the first few founding years that the settlers landed and started setting up along the east coast, the winters were so severe that 10ft snows for the winter and 90% of the population being wiped out was pretty common.

I have no idea what point you're trying to make. Last winter was horrendous after the previous winters were worse than usual. I moved away. This winter hasn't even started yet and my former house will already be without power for an extended period. I'm glad I moved.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2011, 08:37 kanniballl

My town is trashed. All of the trees still alive with green leaves pretty much just gave way. It was like "The Happening" only instead of neuro-toxin the trees just decided to bomb the hell out of the houses and power lines.

Just got to work

Lost power + heat Saturday before noon. Most of the town lost power during the day, the rest of the town went completely dark by the evening.

Lost the local cell phone tower Saturday night, the next nearest one is too far away so I can't reliably make calls... and forget about data.

The cruddiest weekend I've had in a while. The most I could do was read during the day, and didn't have enough light to read comfortably at night. Couldn't go outside because it was dangerous, the same with driving (not that many roads were open anyway). Meanwhile, it got cold so being without heat blew chunks.

It's NEVER been this bad in the over-20 years I've lived here. White-out conditions, pieces of hurricanes, Nor Easters... never had much of a problem til this weekend. Maybe a couple of hours of no power would be the worst we'd get.

Mr Winter timed it perfectly. In another month the trees would've been bare enough that it wouldn't matter. But having that canopy just made everything collapse.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2011, 08:56.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2011, 21:41 Ant

Acleacius wrote on Oct 30, 2011, 21:29:
Ant wrote on Oct 30, 2011, 18:32:
Blue lives in a village?
Blue's the village Smurf Chief!

Is there a way to allow google-analytics.com script to run on chosen sites, with Firefox? I'm thinking of disabling it for security but I want to make sure sites like Blue's can still get page hit data credit.

Thanks.
Prove it!

I believe you can do it for AdBlock if you whitelist bluesnews.com?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2011, 21:29 Acleacius

Ant wrote on Oct 30, 2011, 18:32:
Blue lives in a village?
Blue's the village Smurf Chief!

Is there a way to allow google-analytics.com script to run on chosen sites, with Firefox? I'm thinking of disabling it for security but I want to make sure sites like Blue's can still get page hit data credit.

Thanks.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

8. nothing to see here, move along Oct 30, 2011, 20:12 space captain

In New York City, a new record for October snowfall was set when 1.3in fell in Central Park. Only three other snowy October days have been recorded in the park in 135 years of record-keeping.  
Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2011, 18:32 Ant

Blue lives in a village?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2011, 17:42 Sepharo

Easy game for the Lions today. Looks like Tebow just sucks.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2011, 16:50 Mashiki Amiketo

Zadig wrote on Oct 30, 2011, 13:51:
The last 2 winters in the northeast were bad, but reading about 19 inches of snow in NJ before Halloween is absolutely mindboggling. Makes me very happy I moved south.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2011, 15:03 jimnms

I hate this time of year. We had a big change in temp down here. It got down to 28°F last night, and yesterday's low was in the 40's. We usually don't start hitting the 30's until mid to late November. We have short winters, but the temp shifts in the fall leading up to winter are annoying. One day it can be in the 80's, and the next it never goes over 40.  

MeanJim on Steam

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2011, 13:51 Zadig

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2011, 13:41 nin

I have the walk shoveled

So weird to hear you say that before Halloween. Makes me wonder what the rest of winter is going to look like...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2011, 13:30 Efflixi

With the onset of winter, I've been cooking "warm" things. I made gumbo a while back (I'm a real Cajun, allowed to!) and I'd like your latest chili recipe Blue. I think I'll finally try it this year.  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo