Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Spaceships Ahoy - Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter

Paradox Interactive announces that Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter has launched, and Kerberos Productions' space-themed 4X strategy sequel is now "available on all major digital download portals." This release trailer offers a look at the game, and here's a bit from the announcement:

Sword of the Stars II is the sequel to the cult strategy favorite Sword of the Stars and continues the franchise emphasis on meaningful strategic choices, thrilling space combat and galactic conquest in a universe rich with personality and history.

The races from the first game have now established themselves in small empires in the stars, but new challenges and new technologies await, as does an ancient enemy from the past that you can call on to buttress your alliance – if you dare.

Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter has an entirely new graphics engine to make its real time space combat come alive. Navigate your fleet in battle in a 3D environment that lets you target your enemy's weak spots, dealing crippling blows with carefully prototyped standard vessels or massive starships.

The strategic layer adds provincial management to help you keep an eye on the big picture as your empire grows. Your civilization develops with you, and the choices you make will determine what kind of government your citizens live under. The tech tree you can research is never exactly the same from game to game, ensuring tons of replayability even on identical maps.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 29, 2011, 15:56 space captain

unless its skyrim... then just go ahead and release it, right?

RIGHT?

thats right

Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 29, 2011, 14:27 Slashman

Prez wrote on Oct 29, 2011, 13:05:
Well I am a hardcore fan of 4x games, but I don't pay for alphas or pre-release candidates. So I'll wait until the game is actually worth 40 bucks.

Gotta agree. I was seriously considering getting it. Its been a while since anything scratched my 4x itch since Sins.

Companies need to stop doing this. If it needs an extra month or two in the oven...please keep it and bake on high until it's done.

21. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 29, 2011, 13:05 Prez

Well I am a hardcore fan of 4x games, but I don't pay for alphas or pre-release candidates. So I'll wait until the game is actually worth 40 bucks.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 29, 2011, 11:59 bortin

Okay, it is the release version they put up, it just plays like a beta.

Very rough execution. It looks to be a fun and graphically beautiful 4x game. Consider jumping in only if you are willing to fund a $39.99 alpha/beta test at this stage.

Different genres, but Dungeon Defenders is $14, Terraria $5, King Arthurs Gold $9, etc etc. Yeah, you're gonna have to be a hardcore 4x fan or of the SotS series to jump into it at that price point.

19. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 29, 2011, 09:19 Nate

Keep your money far away from SotS 2 for now. Its not really playable.  

18. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 29, 2011, 06:41 JaguarUSF

Here is an exclusive video of the product launch  

17. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 29, 2011, 04:30 eRe4s3r

Sigh indeed, first SH3 and now this.. wtf are developers smoking lately?  

16. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 29, 2011, 02:28 bortin

The updated patch/build is out now -- they uploaded *another* BETA release by mistake?

Options setting button is disabled, no cut scenes, numerous UI screw ups and game breaking bugs and interface traps that require ending the game task. Sigh.

15. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 28, 2011, 21:33 Nate

Its a 4x turn-based strategy game but the combat is 3D semi-realtime with fully realized ships. You "design" those ships with various sections, modules and weapons.

The strategic map is also 3D which you zoom in and out on to view the solar systems.

14. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 28, 2011, 19:57 space captain

And they took and brought me to a place in which those who were there were like flaming fire, and, when they wished, they appeared as men. And they brought me to the place of darkness, and to a mountain the point of whose summit reached to heaven. And I saw the places of the luminaries and the treasuries of the stars and of the thunder and in the uttermost depths, where were a fiery bow and arrows and their quiver, and a fiery sword and all the lightnings. And they took me to the living waters, and to the fire of the west, which receives every setting of the sun.

And I came to a river of fire in which the fire flows like water and discharges itself into the great sea towards the west. I saw the great rivers and came to the great river and to the great darkness, and went to the place where no flesh walks. I saw the mountains of the darkness of winter and the place whence all the waters of the deep flow. I saw the mouths of all the rivers of the earth and the mouth of the deep.

- book of enoch

Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 28, 2011, 19:52 Raven

As it says on the developer's website: "SOTS2 playtesters wanted".

http://www.kerberos-productions.com/

12. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 28, 2011, 19:29 mixma242

The launch is not going so well. The version on Steam is an early beta build. Developers are scrambling to get the right version out, but no one knows when that will happen.

Lot's of these balls have been dropped lately. First Stronghold 3 and now this...

11. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 28, 2011, 18:26 Flatline

JohnBirshire wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 15:13:
I'm still trying to understand how a planet's seasons would apply to space.

" Ah, Kirk, my old friend, do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold?

It is very cold in space."

-The Wrath of Khan

10. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 28, 2011, 17:58 Jonny

JohnBirshire wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 15:13:
I'm still trying to understand how a planet's seasons would apply to space.

That would be that they don't. Winter here is referring to the mental state of the titular Lords, all ice cold and pitiless.

9. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 28, 2011, 17:44 Prez

Patch it up and I'm there. I'm a sucker for 4X space games. I own them all and I want more!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 28, 2011, 17:29 eRe4s3r

The "winter of space" is literally the end-times of the universe. Due to the expansion and entropy the universe gets colder over time. Less stars = less heat

7. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 28, 2011, 16:25 Lobster

I'm not very good at 4X but I love the randomization of Stars II, and I love building ships.  

6. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 28, 2011, 15:40 Cutter

These 4X games really aren't my bag, baby, but I love the cover art for this game. I think the only one I really ever loved - and I dunno if it really qualifies as 4X - is Ascendancy.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 28, 2011, 15:31 SpectralMeat

Frijoles wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 15:23:
Tried to find some gameplay videos of this when I first saw it show up on the coming soon on Steam, but just found trailers. Having never played the first one, what's the gameplay like?
Did you try youtube? There are some walkthroughs and gameplay videos on there

Steam: SpectralMeat

4. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Stars II: Lords of Winter Oct 28, 2011, 15:29 Creston

Wetworks wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 15:14:
Lol, seems they gave Steam the wrong version of the game. People are complaining it's the beta build and full of bugs. Kerberos is uploading the release version now. First Dead Island now SOTS 2.

Wonderful. Because, you know, why bother to actually make sure you release the proper fucking version?

also:

Lords of Winter?

Creston

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo