Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology

GayGamer has more follow-up on yesterday's news of outcry over anti-gay slurs during the closing performance at BlizzCon 2011. They recieved an apology from Mike Morhaime, the president of Blizzard who is also apparently a member of Level 90 Elite Tauren Chieftain, the band that performed at the closing. Here's word:

Dear members of the Blizzard community,

I have read your feedback and comments about this year's BlizzCon, and I have also read the feedback to the apology from Level 90 Elite Tauren Chieftain. I'd like to respond to some of your feedback here.

As president of Blizzard, I take full responsibility for everything that occurs at BlizzCon.

It was shortsighted and insensitive to use the video at all, even in censored form. The language used in the original version, including the slurs and use of sexual orientation as an insult, is not acceptable, period. We realize now that having even an edited version at the show was counter to the standards we try to maintain in our forums and in our games. Doing so was an error in judgment, and we regret it.

The bottom line is we deeply apologize for our mistakes and for hurting or offending anyone. We want you to have fun at our events, and we want everyone to feel welcome. We're proud to be part of a huge and diverse community, and I am proud that so many aspects of the community are represented within Blizzard itself.

As a leader of Blizzard, and a member of the band, I truly hope you will accept my humblest apology.

- Mike Morhaime President, Blizzard Entertainment

View
113 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

33. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 13:56 Mashiki Amiketo

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 13:53:
Meaning it's a whole bunch of over reacting and catering to special interest groups for the sake of pollitical correctness.
Political correctness is the new race card in the US. Most people haven't figured it out yet.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 13:55 Beelzebud

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 13:33:
Beelzebud wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 13:28:
Free speech in action.

Person A says something offensive.

Person B states they are offended.

Person C who hired person A, apologizes.

No freedoms were lost. This is how it's supposed to work. The people arguing that they should be free to insult anyone they wish, and never be called on it, are the ones who don't understand freedom of speech.

And then there's a high probability that when Person A again makes the "mistake" of saying something "offensive", they lose their job or there's another nasty consequence.

Your model is flawed.

That's not "my model", that is the constitution's model. Don't want to get fired? Don't say stupid shit in public! The first amendment is not a blank check to say everything you want, with no consequences. The only thing it protects you from is the government telling you what to say.

31. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 13:53 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 13:38:
Sincere? Sounds to me like he's amazed anyone is offended and is only apologizing after the fact and wouldn't have otherwise. Just because gays aren't a particular ethnicity doesn't make it anymore acceptable to pick on them than anyone else. Just subsitute any ethnicity or religion for gay and see if denigrating them is acceptable. How someone in his position allowed it to happen at all is the most mind-boggling thing.

I'm amazed myself anyone was offended by this. It's much akin to someone like Al Sharpton, or Maxine Waters crying racism to anyone who will listen to them adnaseum as if black people are still forced to sit at the back of the bus.

Meaning it's a whole bunch of over reacting and catering to special interest groups for the sake of pollitical correctness.

30. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 13:50 Bhruic

And then there's a high probability that when Person A again makes the "mistake" of saying something "offensive", they lose their job or there's another nasty consequence.

So what? The only ones that have to respect your right to free speech is the government. There are plenty of examples of people being fired for their speech that are completely unrelated to homosexuality, so why should they get any special protection for that form of speech?

29. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 13:47 AnointedSword

We can learn from this. See, good leaders take responsibility.  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

28. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 13:44 killer_roach

Bodolza wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 13:42:
CommunistHamster wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 13:15:
Oh boy, time for another 200 posts of social conservatives vs social liberals on the topic of homosexuals!

I don't see this as a conservative/liberal division. It's much more libertarian/authoritarian, and there are plenty of each in both major parties.

I'm neither socially conservative or liberal... I'm socially "don't care". What I don't like, in the libertarian tradition, is either side trying to use government force to advance acceptance of their viewpoint, which seems to happen quite a bit from both sides.

27. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 13:43 Wetworks

The funny thing is if the band said those things in Wow general chat they would be banned from World of Warcraft for using gay slurs. I think it's the right thing to do to apologize and not come across as hypocrites.  

26. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 13:42 Bodolza

CommunistHamster wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 13:15:
Oh boy, time for another 200 posts of social conservatives vs social liberals on the topic of homosexuals!

I don't see this as a conservative/liberal division. It's much more libertarian/authoritarian, and there are plenty of each in both major parties.

25. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 13:38 Cutter

Sincere? Sounds to me like he's amazed anyone is offended and is only apologizing after the fact and wouldn't have otherwise. Just because gays aren't a particular ethnicity doesn't make it anymore acceptable to pick on them than anyone else. Just subsitute any ethnicity or religion for gay and see if denigrating them is acceptable. How someone in his position allowed it to happen at all is the most mind-boggling thing.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

24. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 13:33 Alamar

nin wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 10:44:
From everything I've seen/heard of Mike, he seems like a decent guy. I suspect someone else in the company just made a bad decision in using the clip.

You can be a nice/decent guy and still make mistakes... Like assuming a joke around the office, and the game, will be taken lightly...

Anyways... This thread is going to be just as Prez as the other one... : )

-Alamar

23. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 13:33 Eldaron Imotholin

Beelzebud wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 13:28:
Free speech in action.

No freedoms were lost. This is how it's supposed to work. The people arguing that they should be free to insult anyone they wish, and never be called on it, are the ones who don't understand freedom of speech.

Your model is flawed.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

22. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 13:30 briktal

killer_roach wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 13:17:
Metasparks wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 11:24:
Sincerity at its finest.

Translation: Please don't sue us, please don't picket our offices, please don't start an Internet-wide smear campaign against us...

Amazing is the power of reputational blackmail.

Maybe people should've just done this for the MW2 and L4D2 boycotts.

21. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 13:28 Beelzebud

Free speech in action.

20. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 13:27 AnointedSword

Very nice...I never condoned this behavior...Good job, blizzard.  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

19. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 13:17 killer_roach

Metasparks wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 11:24:
Sincerity at its finest.

Translation: Please don't sue us, please don't picket our offices, please don't start an Internet-wide smear campaign against us...

Amazing is the power of reputational blackmail.

18. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 13:15 CommunistHamster

17. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 12:57 Eldaron Imotholin

TangoBaker wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 12:37:
I'm telling you, a few years from now it's the """"normal"""" people like you and me who are somehow being discriminated.

I think you're really over-estimating yourself there, sparky.

Hence the quotes.

I think there's truth in it, though. I know this is a sensitive subject where people tend to easily call out the word "racist!" without thinking, but what I recognize in both my own experience and the stories I've read... a part of the black community still tends to wield discrimination/racism as both a shield and weapon against the world.. even though they suffer right about LESS from prejudice these days than others. Luckily we can easily laugh along with the brothers joking about the dancing patterns of white folk -- to keep the examples lighthearted.

What I'm also trying to say is that it's quite obvious to me that most people think that the groups that were once the victim of racism and or discrimination, today deserve to be treated with even more respect than those who weren't.

Ludomancer wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 12:51:
@Eldaron That you refer to yourself as "Normal" shows a fantastic level of ignorance.

I put the word "normal" between 8 quotes. EIGHT. I thought you'd understand that what I basically say with those quotes is that I understand the word "normal" isn't entirely appropriate but I nevertheless expect that people understand what I mean. Sadly you don't. But I think you do.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2011, 13:17.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

16. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 12:51 Ludomancer

The fact that you're whining about the gay activists tells me you've had a lifetime in a world that accepts you for who you are. Many people do not have that, and you are a shit human being for complaining the moment they speak up about it. Maybe you tell yourself you accept gay people, but this is still a world where many are beaten to death just for living as themselves.

The reason this issue was significant is because the state of mind that accepts content like the offending video perpetuates inequality between these groups. Yeah, it's totally thought-policing, but until you extinguish the acceptance of those beliefs, no one from the minority group will be treated with respect.

@Eldaron That you refer to yourself as "Normal" shows a fantastic level of ignorance.

15. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 12:46 Mashiki Amiketo

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 12:34:
Fucking ridiculous. Those whining gay activists should look down and remind themselves that they have balls too, and if not.. they should grow some.
You know, if this happened in Canada. They'd have filed a complaint to a HRC and Blizzard would now be facing a kangaroo court. Remember kids, criminalizing speech with extra-legal legislative bodies means your rights are stripped away with no process at all.

Now if you want to see how bad it can get? Go read up on the saga of Pastor Boissoin up here in Canadaland. And while I don't agree with a damn thing he says. I agree he has a right to say whatever the hell he wants, just like everyone else. The gay community here however believes that you only have the right to say what they deem appropriate. You can also look up Erza Levant(and the fight against the HRC, different stuff though).

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

14. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 12:37 TangoBaker

I'm telling you, a few years from now it's the """"normal"""" people like you and me who are somehow being discriminated.

I think you're really over-estimating yourself there, sparky.

113 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo