Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology

GayGamer has more follow-up on yesterday's news of outcry over anti-gay slurs during the closing performance at BlizzCon 2011. They recieved an apology from Mike Morhaime, the president of Blizzard who is also apparently a member of Level 90 Elite Tauren Chieftain, the band that performed at the closing. Here's word:

Dear members of the Blizzard community,

I have read your feedback and comments about this year's BlizzCon, and I have also read the feedback to the apology from Level 90 Elite Tauren Chieftain. I'd like to respond to some of your feedback here.

As president of Blizzard, I take full responsibility for everything that occurs at BlizzCon.

It was shortsighted and insensitive to use the video at all, even in censored form. The language used in the original version, including the slurs and use of sexual orientation as an insult, is not acceptable, period. We realize now that having even an edited version at the show was counter to the standards we try to maintain in our forums and in our games. Doing so was an error in judgment, and we regret it.

The bottom line is we deeply apologize for our mistakes and for hurting or offending anyone. We want you to have fun at our events, and we want everyone to feel welcome. We're proud to be part of a huge and diverse community, and I am proud that so many aspects of the community are represented within Blizzard itself.

As a leader of Blizzard, and a member of the band, I truly hope you will accept my humblest apology.

- Mike Morhaime President, Blizzard Entertainment

View
113 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

53. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 16:42 Prez

Hatred is something learned and it can be stopped.

No. Just, no. Hatred is an inherent part of the human condition. As instinctive as breathing.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 16:33 mag

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 16:03:
Cutter wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 15:57:
Hatred is something learned and it can be stopped. So why should anyone be forced to acclimate to hatred?
"Culturally ingrained"

In otherwords, welcome to anywhere outside of north america. Even europe is a shithole, though not all of it.

All those damn foreigners don't know the first thing about being culturally accepting.

51. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 16:27 Pumas

This apology is gay.  
How will I know limits from lies if I never try?

50. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 16:03 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 15:57:
Hatred is something learned and it can be stopped. So why should anyone be forced to acclimate to hatred?
"Culturally ingrained"

In otherwords, welcome to anywhere outside of north america. Even europe is a shithole, though not all of it.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

49. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 15:57 Cutter

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 14:10:
Yaogun wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 14:02:
For those of you, like Eldaron, who complain that gay people need thicker skin or "more balls" to deal with slurs, I wonder how much of your thick skin isn't so much thick as untested.
Ah right. I'm half-japanese, my father is a jap, my mother is german. I'm jewish, I've lived through japanese racism first hand. I've seen rabid antisemitism first hand, and had the crap spewed at my home, work, and at me by bigots of every stripe, race, ethnicity and sex. I've seen bigotry, hate, racism and all the rest. They need to grow a thicker skin, and I've traveled all over this freaking rock. Japanese racism is it's own special brand of hate for those that aren't pure. Though none get it as badly as Brazilian-Japanese.

Your sexual orientation is much easier to hide, than your skin colour and ethnicity. They need to grow a thicker skin.

Sempai wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 14:56:
What are you smoking Cutter? Last I looked we live on planet earth, and last I looked people make mistakes. I agree It boggles the mind to think they thought this meathead spewing his idiocy was funny in the least, but the guy said he was sincerely sorry and yet you're reading into his apology like some conspiracy theorist.

Jesus, people say their sorry and it's still not good enough these days.

I'm smoking a pipe. Question is, what are you ingesting? Yes, people make mistakes, but a guy who is president of a company this size that garners the sort of attention it does needs to be a lot more aware of these sorts of issues, and how he comports himself publically, than Dave from shipping, right?! Suppose they had been making a similar sort of derogatory comments about blacks, or jews, or the Chinese. No, no one be the least bit upset about that, right? Sorry is nice but it still doesn't change the fact it happened. Plenty of people in prison are sorry, but it still doesn't change why they're there. His apology doesn't strike me as sincere in the least.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

48. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 15:33 venomhed

Short version: Don't sue us!

See what a fear society we live in thanks to our horrible, sue for any reason, "legal" system.

47. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 15:04 Joker76

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IFloXOuLgA

46. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 15:02 Mashiki Amiketo

Prez wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 14:37:
In the end, this is simply a win for political correctness and the faux noble thought police, who naively assume that if you aren't saying it, you certainly couldn't be thinking it. Oh no, siree! Rolleyes
Bingo. And you get cookies. I hope you like chocolate chip, because I'm out of oatmeal.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

45. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 14:56 Sempai

Cutter wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 13:38:
Sincere? Sounds to me like he's amazed anyone is offended and is only apologizing after the fact and wouldn't have otherwise. Just because gays aren't a particular ethnicity doesn't make it anymore acceptable to pick on them than anyone else. Just subsitute any ethnicity or religion for gay and see if denigrating them is acceptable. How someone in his position allowed it to happen at all is the most mind-boggling thing.

What are you smoking Cutter? Last I looked we live on planet earth, and last I looked people make mistakes. I agree It boggles the mind to think they thought this meathead spewing his idiocy was funny in the least, but the guy said he was sincerely sorry and yet you're reading into his apology like some conspiracy theorist.

Jesus, people say their sorry and it's still not good enough these days.

44. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 14:55 AnointedSword

We can all talk crap about people...that is very easy to do. Especially when we are talking out of of the side of our face. The bottom line is, until we win in life, we have no rightful place to speak against people that do make it. Whining and crying is not going to get our dreams done.Google, got it done! Right out of college, bam! Blizzard got it done! They had a dream and they did not let anyone stop them.

"Ask yourself who’s holding you back from accomplishing your dreams... ANSWER: YOU. Now ask yourself why." -Robert Kiyosaki

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

43. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 14:53 WinterMadness

What a bunch of freaking pansies! Hah hah, Corpsegrinder was just doing the same shit people do all the time, calling stuff they don't like "gay", etc etc. If the "sensitive" people in our society today are gonna get their freaking panties in a bunch every time something is called "gay", they might as well not wear panties at all. Jesus H, this political correctness crap has GOT to freaking stop. This is what comes with FREE SPEECH, get the FUCK over it. BTW, shoutout to Cannibal Corpse, keeping the BRUTALITY alive!!!  

42. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 14:48 Evil Timmy

Excellent post, Yaogun, and I totally agree. As Ben Folds oh-so-sarcastically sang, "Y'all don't know what it's like, being male middle class and white." After growing up on the west coast and fitting into that category, I moved to Hong Kong with my family at age 15. With white people making up 0.6% of the population, I got to experience being a minority, and even in a place where foreigners are generally accepted and treated with a level of respect, I still ran into racism on a fairly regular basis. Even those small doses were hurtful, but more than anything frustrating. Given the strong American sense of individuality, anyone ascribing something to me as a group rather than as myself, based on a snap judgment of some demographic they thought I fit into, felt humiliating, unfair, incorrect, and just plain wrong.

And that's simply casual bigotry, nothing targeted, but simply a reflex from ignorance or carelessness. Any group that's targeted, not just for verbal abuse, but exclusion, legal separation, and violence, has my utmost sympathies and support. Acts like this are dehumanizing, they separate you from both your individuality and from the rest of the human race. We're free to say what we want, and especially think what we want. I support anyone's right to put forth whatever biased, bigoted trash they want, would defend it to the death etc., but the consequences are that they can and should treated like ignorant, shameful, backwards pariahs that have no place speaking when grown-ups are talking.

Of course, as with nearly every socio-political issue on the planet, South Park has mentioned it in one of their episodes (the first 30 seconds is Cartman fighting a midget, skip at your own discretion).

41. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 14:37 Prez

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 14:10:
For those of you, like Eldaron, who complain that gay people need thicker skin or "more balls" to deal with slurs, I wonder how much of your thick skin isn't so much thick as untested.
Ah right. I'm half-japanese, my father is a jap, my mother is german. I'm jewish, I've lived through japanese racism first hand. I've seen rabid antisemitism first hand, and had the crap spewed at my home, work, and at me by bigots of every stripe, race, ethnicity and sex. I've seen bigotry, hate, racism and all the rest. They need to grow a thicker skin, and I've traveled all over this freaking rock. Japanese racism is it's own special brand of hate for those that aren't pure. Though none get it as badly as Brazilian-Japanese.

Your sexual orientation is much easier to hide, than your skin colour and ethnicity. They need to grow a thicker skin.

I always love it when the argument gets thrown out that only gays, blacks, women, Jews, etc know what hardship is. "You white dudes STFU - your lives are big giant bowls of cherries!!!" I love it because soon after there's a post like Mashiki's that completely exposes the logical idiocy of it.

The dude is apologizing to shut the masses of crybabies the hell up so the bad press doesn't end up hurting his business. That's it. I would have done the exact same thing, all the while cursing moronic groups like GLAAD, our sissified, hypersensitive culture, and the infantile, impossible utopian vision where everyone is protected from ever being offended by anything.

In the end, this is simply a win for political correctness and the faux noble thought police, who naively assume that if you aren't saying it, you certainly couldn't be thinking it. Oh no, siree! Rolleyes

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

40. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 14:24 Jivaro

For those of you, like Eldaron, who complain that gay people need thicker skin or "more balls" to deal with slurs, I wonder how much of your thick skin isn't so much thick as untested. I submit that it takes WAY more "balls" to live in this world as a non-white or non-straight or non-male person than most of us white dudes will ever have. It also takes "balls" to stand up for yourself when you know you'll get shouted down, as the gay community did here.

As a white dude in this society it's so easy to look around and say "well, none of this affects ME, so it must not be a problem." I'm just as guilty of this as y'all, or at least I was. I too used to get on message boards (or usenet pre-1993 - yes I'm old) and explain to everyone at length how they were wrong, how they had no right to be offended. "I'm a white man who will never face your problems, so let me tell you how you should deal with them." I hope I never said anything as hopelessly privileged as "black people don't have to deal with racism anymore," but I wouldn't put it past my early-20s-self.

As the years went by I started to realize just how privileged and ignorant I was. The truth is we straight white cis-gendered dudes will NEVER have to put up with what gay people, black people, women, etc. deal with on a daily basis. I also realized a little empathy toward my fellow man isn't a sign of weakness, it's a sign of strength. It's not like one group getting treated better means my group gets treated worse. It's not a zero-sum game. A rising tide lifts ALL boats. It doesn't affect me directly if gay people get some respect, but I care because maybe it'll be important for my son, grandchildren, students, etc.

Well said, unfortunately everybody who hasn't actually seen hate in action won't believe a word you say. When I was 19 a white guy in his 40s was my boss at a grocery food store. I am also a white guy. I was there for 3 weeks before he promoted me onto the management team. Two people had interviewed for the job, a woman in her 30s who had worked for the company for 5 years, and a Hispanic male who had worked for the company for 10 years. I hadn't even interviewed for the job.

I asked my boss why he gave me the promotion without an interview. "I don't want to deal with a bitch once a month and I don't trust foreigners." I quit the job one month later, the whole situation made me sick.

I have always felt fortunate that I got my wake up call at that early an age. Up until that point, my limited life experience had led me to believe that people were over-reacting to sexism, racism, etc as well. This isn't about free speech or political correctness, but you folks that want to believe that...go ahead and keep at it. You'll get your wake up call eventually as well, provided you're actually ever adventuresome enough to leave whatever bubble you are living in that has isolated you from what is really going on.

39. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 14:22 Elessar

*edit* Nevermind. Withdrawing from this debate.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2011, 14:28.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

38. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 14:20 Wetworks

MajorD wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 14:11:
Meaning it's a whole bunch of over reacting and catering to special interest groups for the sake of pollitical correctness. Well put and pretty much sums it up!

I think your missing the point of his apology. If the band said what they said in Wow general chat they would be banned from World of Warcraft for hate speech and using gay slurs. Wow bans thousands of people every day for using the word f@##%*.

It would come across as hypocritical if he did not apologize for the video.

37. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 14:11 MajorD

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 13:53:

Meaning it's a whole bunch of over reacting and catering to special interest groups for the sake of pollitical correctness.
Well put and pretty much sums it up!

36. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 14:10 Mashiki Amiketo

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

35. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 14:05 Beelzebud

Well said, Yaogun.  

34. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 14:02 Yaogun

For those of you, like Eldaron, who complain that gay people need thicker skin or "more balls" to deal with slurs, I wonder how much of your thick skin isn't so much thick as untested. I submit that it takes WAY more "balls" to live in this world as a non-white or non-straight or non-male person than most of us white dudes will ever have. It also takes "balls" to stand up for yourself when you know you'll get shouted down, as the gay community did here.

As a white dude in this society it's so easy to look around and say "well, none of this affects ME, so it must not be a problem." I'm just as guilty of this as y'all, or at least I was. I too used to get on message boards (or usenet pre-1993 - yes I'm old) and explain to everyone at length how they were wrong, how they had no right to be offended. "I'm a white man who will never face your problems, so let me tell you how you should deal with them." I hope I never said anything as hopelessly privileged as "black people don't have to deal with racism anymore," but I wouldn't put it past my early-20s-self.

As the years went by I started to realize just how privileged and ignorant I was. The truth is we straight white cis-gendered dudes will NEVER have to put up with what gay people, black people, women, etc. deal with on a daily basis. I also realized a little empathy toward my fellow man isn't a sign of weakness, it's a sign of strength. It's not like one group getting treated better means my group gets treated worse. It's not a zero-sum game. A rising tide lifts ALL boats. It doesn't affect me directly if gay people get some respect, but I care because maybe it'll be important for my son, grandchildren, students, etc.

On a different tack, I definitely agree with those of you who say that Morhaime is likely not very sincere. This is a company who allowed their lead designer to keep his handle "Tigole" as in "Tigole Bitties" in a professional setting, and that chose to run that video in the first place. But at least the apology wasn't a half-assed "I'm sorry you're so thin-skinned" kind of non-apology that is all too common in the internet world.

113 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo