Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology

GayGamer has more follow-up on yesterday's news of outcry over anti-gay slurs during the closing performance at BlizzCon 2011. They recieved an apology from Mike Morhaime, the president of Blizzard who is also apparently a member of Level 90 Elite Tauren Chieftain, the band that performed at the closing. Here's word:

Dear members of the Blizzard community,

I have read your feedback and comments about this year's BlizzCon, and I have also read the feedback to the apology from Level 90 Elite Tauren Chieftain. I'd like to respond to some of your feedback here.

As president of Blizzard, I take full responsibility for everything that occurs at BlizzCon.

It was shortsighted and insensitive to use the video at all, even in censored form. The language used in the original version, including the slurs and use of sexual orientation as an insult, is not acceptable, period. We realize now that having even an edited version at the show was counter to the standards we try to maintain in our forums and in our games. Doing so was an error in judgment, and we regret it.

The bottom line is we deeply apologize for our mistakes and for hurting or offending anyone. We want you to have fun at our events, and we want everyone to feel welcome. We're proud to be part of a huge and diverse community, and I am proud that so many aspects of the community are represented within Blizzard itself.

As a leader of Blizzard, and a member of the band, I truly hope you will accept my humblest apology.

- Mike Morhaime President, Blizzard Entertainment

View
113 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

73. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 21:00 Hammer

Question to all those saying that gays need to get a thicker skin, etc...

What was your position on the whole Michael Richards (Kramer) racist tirade? That blacks needed to get a thicker skin?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

72. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 20:59 WinterMadness

UMAD BRO? Hah hah, seriously though, I'm 41 years old and a proud metalhead and like Prez says, (Holds up hand) Giant Asshole here! If you can't take a small joke, just stay at home man....  

71. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 20:38 Overon

The very idea of using same sex sexual orientation (that the best evidence shows is not a choice anymore than heterosexuality is a choice) as an insult is incorrect and therefore willfully ignorant.  

70. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 19:54 Hump

Its unfortunate that people have to grovel and beg forgiveness lest they get taken down by organizations like GLAAD. They will force an apology (Tracey Morgan is a good example) whether the apology is sincere or not. In Morgans case he had to do an apology tour, do events and generally say what the GLAAD puppetmasters told him to say.

Edgy humor is something most don't understand and it seems to get singled out. Whats more concerning is forcing people (and kids) into a narrow model of indoctrination than allow them to be offensive, make mistakes, learn etc.

Sexism, racism, homophobia has been present since the dawn of man. These groups assume it can all be changed in a single generation. It just isn't going to happen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

69. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 19:13 AnointedSword

Wow how about that...Blizzard releases a new patch for Diablo2 that fixes the spam problem. What, I guess we should bash them for still making patches for an old game?  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

68. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 18:48 RollinThundr

Prez wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 18:09:
Beamer wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 17:59:
no one is saying you shouldn't be able to say whatever you want, they're saying you shouldn't say whatever you want.

And people like you will continue to browbeat everyone until they feel like they aren't allowed to say anything at all because someone may get upset or otherwise have their delicate sensibilities hurt. Ergo, thought police.

Sorry, I'm going to say what I want, when I want, encourage others to do the same, and not care one iota that the thin-skinned people who think they have a right to never be offended don't like it. Yeah, I'm one of your "giant dickheads". Whatever. Whatever

Pretty much, while getting butthurt over the slightest comment. It's fine with me though. I enjoy laughing at their tears and sandy vaginas. Given Beamer's post history of going out of his way to argue with people to begin with or try to tell them how "wrong" they are makes it all the more sweeter to hear his whining about a comment that was in jest to begin with 3 years ago, and was edited to remove the offensive content at Blizzcon as well in the first place.

Liberalism: pussifying America, one indoctrinated US public school student at a time.

67. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 18:48 Krovven

they're saying you shouldn't say whatever you want.

So...just throw free speech right out the window then?

66. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 18:09 Prez

no one is saying you shouldn't be able to say whatever you want, they're saying you shouldn't say whatever you want.

And people like you will continue to browbeat everyone until they feel like they aren't allowed to say anything at all because someone may get upset or otherwise have their delicate sensibilities hurt. Ergo, thought police.

Sorry, I'm going to say what I want, when I want, encourage others to do the same, and not care one iota that the thin-skinned people who think they have a right to never be offended don't like it. Yeah, I'm one of your "giant dickheads". Whatever. Whatever

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2011, 18:17.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

65. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 17:59 Beamer

Also, to all you people that think this is a libertarian thing, no one is saying you shouldn't be able to say whatever you want, they're saying you shouldn't say whatever you want.

I mean, you can take a dump onto a plate and eat it if you'd like. No one is stopping you. There's no law to prevent it. But you shouldn't do it. It's not good.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

64. Re: Nice... Oct 28, 2011, 17:57 wolve

Darks wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 11:35:
Hey Mike, ill accept your apology if you send me over a Diablo 3 beta key.
I see what you did there...
I say D3 beta keys for everyone!

63. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 17:50 Beamer

I don't get how you guys think "not offending your fellow man" is "robot thought police."

Some of you are giant dickheads. No real getting around it. If you can not make someone feel that the way they were born is a bad thing by just not using a word, why wouldn't you? And if you're a company, why would you feature someone using that word?

It's not about being a bleeding heart, or censoring thought, it's about not being such a callous jerk that you tell someone something they cannot help that is not wrong is, in fact, wrong.

Again, I'd love to know how many of you use the n-word. In the last thread a few people said they thought it was ok for white people to use. Yeah, that makes you popular at the Klan meetings I'm sure. Corpsegrinder would be, too.

And to the guy giving a shout out to Cannibal Corpse, seriously? That's metal for 13 year olds at Hot Topic.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

62. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 17:49 Jivaro

Prez wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 17:15:
There's a simple illustration of this at work at every major intersection in every major city in America. When I was a young child growing up in Bronx, New York, I remember I liked sitting on the corner of a busy intersection and watching the traffic. Light turns red, the mass of vehicles would obligingly come to a halt. Light turns green, the mass would move on. So on and so forth. Nice and orderly and all under control. Until the traffic light stopped working. One day the light just up and quit, and I marveled at how what was once an orderly and behaved mass of cars descended into a chaotic, bombastic mess. It was utter mayhem - cars packed bumper to bumper in all directions. People screaming horrible things at one another. Two fights broke out and somebody got hurt. Bad. The ambulance could not make it to the scene for over an hour because of the gridlock. I ran home crying, not sure exactly why at the time. But it was the utter baseness of it - I got to see humanity with the 'civilization' illusion (in this case, something as small as a series of colored light bulbs) stripped away. And it was terrifying. It doesn't take much reflection on such a thing to come to understand that humanity teeters on the edge of complete regression at any given moment.

The really scary thing is that we have an established system for how to handle things when the stop lights go out. Same system we use at a 4 way stop sign. The fact that the existence of a backup system did not prevent the chaos, despite it's simplicity and the fact that anyone with a driver's license knows about it, says a great many things about humanity. Is it the system that keeps us stable, or is it the routine? Seems to me that breaking the routine is the volatile component. Some routines are harder to change then others.

61. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 17:39 theyarecomingforyou

I really don't understand the outrage. All the offensive material was censored out, which meant that the context had changed. The original video is obviously satirical anyway.

Complaining about shit like this only makes the gay community and organisations representing it look like a bunch of whiners. Blizzard was misguided at best. These organisations should target the REAL discrimination, like some of the stuff highlighted on the GLAAD website.

Seriously, people whine about anything. People need to chill out and just get along. Life's too short to complain about the intent of something that was obviously trying to be funny. There are so many worthwhile causes to get behind and this just isn't one.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

60. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 17:37 HorrorScope

I don't even know what this is all about yet. But if someone was literally hanged then I'm satisfied.

The Internet

59. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 17:28 jdreyer

Yaogun wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 10:53:
Nice to see a real apology, and not one of those "I'm sorry you're offended" fake apologies. Quite refreshing.

Yeah, I totally agree. People fuck up. And especially with comedy, you often skirt the line of what is acceptable (Hello, South Park). But when you do mess up, you apologize. Mike's a class act. That took balls, although being worth billions means you don't really have to worry too much about how you're perceived.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

58. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 17:15 Prez

There's a simple illustration of this at work at every major intersection in every major city in America. When I was a young child growing up in Bronx, New York, I remember I liked sitting on the corner of a busy intersection and watching the traffic. Light turns red, the mass of vehicles would obligingly come to a halt. Light turns green, the mass would move on. So on and so forth. Nice and orderly and all under control. Until the traffic light stopped working. One day the light just up and quit, and I marveled at how what was once an orderly and behaved mass of cars descended into a chaotic, bombastic mess. It was utter mayhem - cars packed bumper to bumper in all directions. People screaming horrible things at one another. Two fights broke out and somebody got hurt. Bad. The ambulance could not make it to the scene for over an hour because of the gridlock. I ran home crying, not sure exactly why at the time. But it was the utter baseness of it - I got to see humanity with the 'civilization' illusion (in this case, something as small as a series of colored light bulbs) stripped away. And it was terrifying. It doesn't take much reflection on such a thing to come to understand that humanity teeters on the edge of complete regression at any given moment.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

57. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 17:07 MajorD

Prez wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 16:58:
Yaogun wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 16:49:
No. Just, no. Hatred is an inherent part of the human condition. As instinctive as breathing.

I'm not sure I'd agree that humans are inherently hateful. But let's say you're right. There are a lot of things that are part of the human condition that we have learned to suppress or overcome in the interest of civilization. Why can't hatred be one of them?

I would contend that those of us who don't walk around killing each other have suppressed the base nature of our humanity through the help of organized civilization with a structured hierarchy of control (Something that I believe humanity needs to prevent falling into utter chaos). Were civilization to break down due to a global calamity, massive scale economic collapse, widespread global pandemic, what have you, I'd say it's a pretty good bet that the baseness of humans would come bubbling to the surface pretty quick.

Interesting point. Upon reading this, the movie 'The Road' came to mind. For those that have seen it, there is no need for me to expand upon it......

56. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 16:59 z0dd

Apology accepted. And a big FU to the "band".  

55. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 16:58 Prez

Yaogun wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 16:49:
No. Just, no. Hatred is an inherent part of the human condition. As instinctive as breathing.

I'm not sure I'd agree that humans are inherently hateful. But let's say you're right. There are a lot of things that are part of the human condition that we have learned to suppress or overcome in the interest of civilization. Why can't hatred be one of them?

I would contend that those of us who don't walk around killing each other have suppressed the base nature of our humanity through the help of organized civilization with a structured hierarchy of control (Something that I believe humanity needs to prevent falling into utter chaos). Were civilization to break down due to a global calamity, massive scale economic collapse, widespread global pandemic, what have you, I'd say it's a pretty good bet that the baseness of humans would come bubbling to the surface pretty quick.

- Mahatma Gandhi

54. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 16:49 Yaogun

Prez wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 16:42:
Hatred is something learned and it can be stopped.

113 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo