Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on World of Darkness

World of Darkness News has more from Chris McDonough, Senior Producer on World of Darkness, addressing concerns about the impact of recent CCP layoffs on the development of the upcoming MMORPG:

Just drifting by now that some of the madness is over. What is really happening here is that we are slowing our progress until DUST ships so that we are not focusing on too many things. We had staffed up as if we would be able to be production ready at this time and we simply are not. The World of Darkness team has spent significant time working on EVE over the last 2 years and much of the tech we were going to used was delayed while to company focused on flying in space features. That is why it took so long for Incarna to get released. The simple overhead that goes into maintaining a growing game like EVE is huge and was underestimated by us as a company. And before anybody com pains about EVE, I would remind folks that the ONLY reason there is a World of Darkness MMO coming at all is because of EVE. That and the fact that CCP believed in World of Darkness so much. The stuff that we plan on reducing on World of Darkness is mostly redundant content that is expensive to make. The core of the game and it's features are mostly unaffected.

I'm a big fan of transparency and I will always shoot you guys straight. Doesn't mean things never change and my words won't be taken out of context and come back to haunt me later ;-) but this is how things stand right now. By the way, the scope of the game changes all the time. We make frequent changes to accommodate simplicity or the ability to deliver something. This is why I make such a big deal out of saying nothing is set in stone. Set in stone is when it is released and even then, only until we patch :-)

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: More on World of Darkness Oct 29, 2011, 00:38 HorrorScope

bhcompy wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 20:56:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 17:38:
Does WOD deserve such back burner support?

I don't think it's so much about what WoD deserves as much as what CCP can dedicate to WoD while neglecting its primary income source, particularly when there is another game already in front of it in the dev pipe(Dust514)

Precisely.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: More on World of Darkness Oct 28, 2011, 20:56 bhcompy

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 17:38:

I don't think it's so much about what WoD deserves as much as what CCP can dedicate to WoD while neglecting its primary income source, particularly when there is another game already in front of it in the dev pipe(Dust514)

14. Re: More on World of Darkness Oct 28, 2011, 18:02 Flatline

Acleacius wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 16:43:
PvP is insignificant compared to the people who would subscribe for PvE/Coop. A PvP mmog can exist, but what's there like one with subscribing customers?

Creating a PVP only mmog, is all but a death sentence, not even sure one could exist as F2P. Not only that but creating a PVP only game would cut out at least 75% if not more of potential customers.

Lobster wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 13:30:
Valve murdered Tim Cain!? BASTARDS!!!
You should have seen the BLOOD, it was messy!

There have been several PvP centric MMOs out there. Dark Age of Camelot seems to have been the biggest one.

The trick is that the PvP has to be *tight* because it's competing with the latest Modern Warfare multiplayer.

13. Re: More on World of Darkness Oct 28, 2011, 17:38 HorrorScope

12. Re: More on World of Darkness Oct 28, 2011, 16:45 Acleacius

Double post

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

11. Re: More on World of Darkness Oct 28, 2011, 16:43 Acleacius

PvP is insignificant compared to the people who would subscribe for PvE/Coop. A PvP mmog can exist, but what's there like one with subscribing customers?

Creating a PVP only mmog, is all but a death sentence, not even sure one could exist as F2P. Not only that but creating a PVP only game would cut out at least 75% if not more of potential customers.

Lobster wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 13:30:
You should have seen the BLOOD, it was messy!

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

10. Re: More on World of Darkness Oct 28, 2011, 15:31 Creston

bhcompy wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 14:26:
If you don't pump tens of millions into the game up front you do not need millions of subscribers to survive. This is how EVE works. It's how WoT works. It's actually how most F2P games work.

That's fair enough, but even EVE had a lot of content at launch. I guess we'll see, but none of their assurances sound all that promising.

Creston

9. Re: More on World of Darkness Oct 28, 2011, 14:26 bhcompy

Creston wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 13:12:
bhcompy wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 12:40:
Essentially, fluff.

But in the days where every MMO now pumps 50-100 million dollars (or much, much more in the case of ToR) worth of content into their system at launch, can you afford NOT to have it? Who's going to play an MMO that has a core game and that's it?

Creston

If you don't pump tens of millions into the game up front you do not need millions of subscribers to survive. This is how EVE works. It's how WoT works. It's actually how most F2P games work.

EVE survives on a few hundred thousand subs and has for 8 years(and they're currently at/around their highest subscription total). This is because they control costs. WoD will most likely follow that same path.

Look at Minecraft. Minecraft has very little capital invested in it, yet it's sold a ridiculous number of copies and it's technically still in beta. It's ugly. It has very little content. But the core gameplay is there and functional. People work around the fact that the fluff isn't there because the gameplay is. Just like any other good videogame.

8. Re: More on World of Darkness Oct 28, 2011, 13:30 Lobster

Acleacius wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 12:00:
I recall hearing Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky had ideas on how to bring more depth to mmogs, but instead Valve and Activision killed them.

7. Re: More on World of Darkness Oct 28, 2011, 13:28 briktal

I wonder how much they gutted the Atlanta office. It sounded to me like they pulled as many EVE people out of there and over to Iceland as they could.  

6. Re: More on World of Darkness Oct 28, 2011, 13:12 Creston

bhcompy wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 12:40:
Essentially, fluff.

But in the days where every MMO now pumps 50-100 million dollars (or much, much more in the case of ToR) worth of content into their system at launch, can you afford NOT to have it? Who's going to play an MMO that has a core game and that's it?

Creston

5. Re: More on World of Darkness Oct 28, 2011, 12:40 bhcompy

Creston wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 11:38:
The stuff that we plan on reducing on World of Darkness is mostly redundant content that is expensive to make

Yeah, because who has ever wanted MORE content in an MMO?

What they're reducing is probably artwork/design related, which is also the biggest bottleneck for EVE(because the team has been appropriated to WoD). When you talk about redundant things, you're probably talking about textures, models, city design, etc. Nice things to have, but expensive to design because they take a lot of time and do not affect any of the core functionality. Essentially, fluff.

Ultimately, WoD will probably take an EVE type release schedule. Consistently add more content with periodic free expansions.

As far as the naysayers talking about missing their shot, I'm not sure. It's a good concept that is not represented and, given CCPs stance on PVP, it would still be a standout among a group of other games simply because no one else has the balls to make games that are as anarchistic(granted WoD could be different than EVE in this regard). I'll wait and see.

4. Re: More on World of Darkness Oct 28, 2011, 12:00 Acleacius

WoD mmog does not exist or NOT exist because of EVE. CCP convinced/sold WW on the idea they could make it. This doesn't mean another company couldn't make it just as well if not a BETTER mmog.

I recall hearing Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky had ideas on how to bring more depth to mmogs, but instead Valve and Activision killed them.

3. Re: More on World of Darkness Oct 28, 2011, 11:55 Umbragen

"Just drifting by..."

That about sums it up. By the time they get this game out (if they ever do) the only people still interested will be White Wolf's LARPing brigade - it wont be enough to cover the electric bill.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2011, 12:35.

2. Re: More on World of Darkness Oct 28, 2011, 11:38 Creston

The stuff that we plan on reducing on World of Darkness is mostly redundant content that is expensive to make

Yeah, because who has ever wanted MORE content in an MMO?

I'm a big fan of transparency and I will always shoot you guys straight

"None of this sneaky shooting around corners for me! Pistols at noon, good sir!"

Creston

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2011, 11:47.

1. Re: More on World of Darkness Oct 28, 2011, 11:21 Lobster

Sorry guys, you missed your window. WoW added Worgen and snatched up the Furry demographic.  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo