Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M

Electronic Arts 2Q financial reporting shows increased losses on increased revenue, and were followed by word that EA is raising its forecast for the fourth quarter, in part based on the strong launch of Battlefield 3 (according to the detailed pdf-format report found by VG247) we're talking 10 million units). Word is:

The net loss in the three-month period ending on Sept. 30 grew to $340 million, or $1.03 per share. Last year, the company had a quarterly loss of $201 million, or 61 cents per share. EA said costs for marketing, research and development increased from last year.

Excluding stock compensation costs, acquisition expenses and other costs, adjusted earnings came to 5 cents per share, beating the adjusted loss of 4 cents per share expected by analysts polled by FactSet.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 28, 2011, 18:03 HorrorScope

Verno wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 09:21:
Sure but EA has been posting losses every quarter that I can recall for quite some time now. I know many corporations do this to minimize or defer tax as long as possible but still it's quite an achievement for a company to have such successful products yet remain in the red. Hopefully BF3 turns that around for them, I wouldn't be a happy EA shareholder myself.

Yup and to those on the Internets who always say "They are a public company they can't hide financials". Oh yes they can. The auditors are human that means a few possibilities.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 28, 2011, 18:02 HorrorScope

entr0py wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 00:19:
It's incredible that after sooo many years they still can't get punkbuster to autoupdate, check for the newest version, or give useful error messages reliably. But at least the update worked and only took a couple minutes.

No shit!

26. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 28, 2011, 11:07 Verno

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 10:42:
Yeah right you were. I bet you didn't even know about the stock's performance when you posted.

Oh I'm not detached enough to manage my portfolio myself. I have a broker for those things, my interests are more broad and just enough to ensure my portfolio are being taken care of (which doesn't include any EA stock). I glanced at a five year history before posting but that's all.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

25. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 28, 2011, 11:02 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 08:44:
This is why the American economy is in the fucking shitter. Because corporations can sell 10 million copies of a 60 dollar game, and still have a net loss of 340 million dollars.

You really need to do more than just skim these. They're talking about the three month period that ended Sept 30. They hadn't shipped 10 million copies, let alone sold that many by that point. All they had (and even then, depending how they did the accounting, they might not have been counted yet) was pre-orders.

Furthermore, that would be the period in time where (as they point out), they did a lot of marketing, which costs money. The whole "it takes money to make money" thing.

The fourth quarter (the one we are in now) is where they will see the profit based on the 10 million copies (or however many sell).

Way to repeat something I already owned up to eight hours previously there, buddy.

Creston

24. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 28, 2011, 10:42 CJ_Parker

Verno wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 10:15:
You're referring to the short term and their gains are certainly encouraging but I was referring to a longer term take on their performance.

Yeah right you were. I bet you didn't even know about the stock's performance when you posted. Even if... then you're referring to the dumbasses who do not actively manage their portfolio. Anyone with half a brain is working with stop loss orders to cut their losses so only the dumbest of the dumb would have ended up losing any real amount of money with EA's stock in recent years.
Following simple buy low/sell high tactics with stop loss and buy orders would make you a happy EA shareholder since the stock has very healthy dynamics and just the right degree of volatility to make a quick buck every now and then.

23. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 28, 2011, 10:15 Verno

You're referring to the short term and their gains are certainly encouraging but I was referring to a longer term take on their performance.  

22. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 28, 2011, 09:44 CJ_Parker

Verno wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 09:21:
I wouldn't be a happy EA shareholder myself.

You're pretty spoiled then because the stock has shown a performance of about +30% in the last three months from about $18 in August to $24 today. The one year chart shows an even greater increase because the stock used to be around $15 a year ago. I know a lot of shareholders, especially in this economic climate, who would be quite happy with EA's +60% performance in the past year.
It would only suck to be an EA shareholder if you bought the stock four or five years ago when it was at $50 - $60 but anyone who isn't a complete dumbass and who actively manages their portfolio should be extremely happy with EA's recent performance.

21. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 28, 2011, 09:21 Verno

Sure but EA has been posting losses every quarter that I can recall for quite some time now. I know many corporations do this to minimize or defer tax as long as possible but still it's quite an achievement for a company to have such successful products yet remain in the red. Hopefully BF3 turns that around for them, I wouldn't be a happy EA shareholder myself.  

20. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 28, 2011, 08:44 Bhruic

This is why the American economy is in the fucking shitter. Because corporations can sell 10 million copies of a 60 dollar game, and still have a net loss of 340 million dollars.

You really need to do more than just skim these. They're talking about the three month period that ended Sept 30. They hadn't shipped 10 million copies, let alone sold that many by that point. All they had (and even then, depending how they did the accounting, they might not have been counted yet) was pre-orders.

Furthermore, that would be the period in time where (as they point out), they did a lot of marketing, which costs money. The whole "it takes money to make money" thing.

The fourth quarter (the one we are in now) is where they will see the profit based on the 10 million copies (or however many sell).

19. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 28, 2011, 01:40 Matshock

Bucky wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 01:13:
The AA vehicles, with a secondary missile, are lethal. I may not be able to fly worth a damn, so I'm gonna make sure no one else can either.

I've been swatting helicopters with the tank MG. Helicopter pilots will either have to move fast or learn to stand off, which is cool.

The fixed wings are comically slow though, as much as I hated them in BF2 I have to admit they are too nerfed now.

Come to think of it, I haven't been killed by an AC yet.

18. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 28, 2011, 01:13 Bucky

mag wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 00:35:
LittleMe wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 23:39:
mag wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 23:32:
I still can't play BF2 because Punkbuster kicks me out every 15 seconds. Did they fix that?

Yes but only if you install Punkbuster after installing BF3.

edit: configure and update it for BF3.

Yeah, it was nice to see they posted a prominent notice on battlelog detailing how to manually update punkbuster. I got the "kicked by administrator" bug on one server, if not for that notice I would have just assumed I was getting kicked to make room for clan members.

It's incredible that after sooo many years they still can't get punkbuster to autoupdate, check for the newest version, or give useful error messages reliably. But at least the update worked and only took a couple minutes.

Jesus. I was kidding. I didn't think that they could actually still be having those problems.

I was getting kicked at the end of rounds, and had also assumed that I was just being removed to make room. I did the update though, just to be sure, and suddenly I can play more than one round on a server.

The AA vehicles, with a secondary missile, are lethal. I may not be able to fly worth a damn, so I'm gonna make sure no one else can either.

17. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 28, 2011, 00:56 Creston

entr0py wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 00:29:
Creston wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 00:16:

Creative Accounting 101.

How about we fix THAT before we start cutting the top tax bracket down to 9%, fellas?

Creston

Well, it would be REALLY creative accounting if they somehow made sales of Battlefield 3 effect last quarter's books.

Please don't bring facts into my rant, kind sir!

Creston

16. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 28, 2011, 00:35 mag

I still can't play BF2 because Punkbuster kicks me out every 15 seconds. Did they fix that?

Yeah, it was nice to see they posted a prominent notice on battlelog detailing how to manually update punkbuster. I got the "kicked by administrator" bug on one server, if not for that notice I would have just assumed I was getting kicked to make room for clan members.

Jesus. I was kidding. I didn't think that they could actually still be having those problems.

15. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 28, 2011, 00:29 entr0py

Creston wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 00:16:

Creative Accounting 101.

How about we fix THAT before we start cutting the top tax bracket down to 9%, fellas?

Creston

Well, it would be REALLY creative accounting if they somehow made sales of Battlefield 3 effect last quarter's books.

14. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 28, 2011, 00:19 entr0py

13. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 28, 2011, 00:16 Creston

Creative Accounting 101.

Creston

12. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 27, 2011, 23:43 LittleMe

Techie714 wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 23:29:
10 MILLION is insane!

Love BF3 it really did end up being an awesome game.

This game (in MP conquest) kicks so much ass. It does need more patching, but omg, I've not played an FPS as good as this before.

The spawn system is weak though, and that sort of ruined the team deathmatch mode. Hopefully DICE will fix the spawns. It's a lazy implementation. Lots of things to improve but still....

Perpetual debt is slavery.

11. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 27, 2011, 23:41 Bucky

I'm at the point with BF3 where I know I'll be playing it for a long time, and it's a rare game that triggers that sort of thinking in me. I'm actually considering putting off the Skyrim purchase, because between BF3 and the hopeful release of Torchlight 2 I don't anticipate any more free gaming time.  

10. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 27, 2011, 23:39 LittleMe

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2011, 23:49.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

9. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 27, 2011, 23:32 mag

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo