Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized

The closing performance at BlizzCon 2011 by Level 90 Epic Tauren Chieftain has drawn fire from GLAAD for anti-gay slurs in a lead-in video from guest singer George 'Corpseater' Fisher from Cannibal Corpse, reports GayGamer. Word is: "The problem? His hate for the Alliance. Specifically, the anti-gay language used to describe them. Though bleeped-out, Fisher's diatribe calls Alliance players a number of anti-gay slurs, and declares that they should die." They say this "has prompted GLAAD to initiate an outreach to Blizzard." VG247 notes the following official comment on this from Blizzard:

Thank you everyone for your feedback regarding the closing night performance at BlizzCon. While we had some other messaging worked up we were going to post, the members of band wanted to instead address it themselves:

Hey guys, we read and heard all the feedback from BlizzCon this year. The Corpsegrinder bit was never intended to be taken seriously. We are sorry that we offended anyone; everything at our shows is just meant in fun. Thank you all for speaking up. We’ll definitely keep this in mind for future shows.

Our humblest apologies,

Level 90 Elite Tauren Chieftain

View
212 Replies. 11 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

112. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 18:47 nin

Fuckity fuck fuck fuck, it's Hellbinder!

Time for a Clue, dude.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

111. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 18:46 eunichron

I finally got around to watching the clip, and people are mad about a 3-4 year old video that was censored (heavily) for the performance? It seems to me that no one even considered it until someone looked up the original clip and heard what he was actually saying.  

110. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 18:44  Blue 

djinn wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 18:14:
Nothing removed in deception, since none of the material removed changes the crux of the comment. That you would remove attempts to take the thread down a religious path, even though the first statement was about the irony of removing comments when referencing free speech. Somewhat ironic I thought.

I did not discuss the "irony" of deleting posts, but of locking the entire thread. I did say I would remove posts that tried to turn this into an argument over religion, since that is both far afield of the original topic and a rather touchy topic for a gaming site.

The purpose of these forums is to foster discussion of the topics at hand for everyone's enjoyment. The purpose of moderation is to avoid the discussions becoming acrimonious.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

109. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 18:43 Mashiki Amiketo

Hellbinder wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 18:40:
Here is some hate speech for you.
That's an opinion, not hate speech. Though many on the left would indeed characterize it as hate speech, so would many "human rights" commissions.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

108. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 18:40 Hellbinder

Here is some hate speech for you.

The fact that peoples perverted or mentally deranged sexual state needs to be identified by them literally in front of every single thing they do is a sign in itself of the truth im stating.

whats next want to share with everyone that you are a "gay" coffee drinker? bottom line is you are sexually attracted to the same sex wich is ABNORMAL! and not something you should be proud of, ok with, or trumpet as loud as you can associating it with literally everything you do.

it is an OBVIOUS mental disorder plain and simple and its time all of society recognized that and dealt with it accordingly.

The Whales name is Bob.

107. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 18:14 djinn

Blue wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 17:58:
djinn wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 17:54:
Blue wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 10:54:
Well it would be unfortunate to have to lock a thread about the implications of free speech... if irony was inflammable we might start a fire... I'll most likely delete future attempts to take this thread down that path.

Wow. Did you think that comment through?

Meaning what? That my comment makes less sens if you remove a handful of words?

Nothing removed in deception, since none of the material removed changes the crux of the comment. That you would remove attempts to take the thread down a religious path, even though the first statement was about the irony of removing comments when referencing free speech. Somewhat ironic I thought.

106. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 18:03 Prez

Deleted.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2011, 18:14.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

105. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 18:03 MajorD

Asmo wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 17:38:
[

"We're characterising 'gay' as weak and shit, and you're gay if you get offended by that..."

We are, REALLY? WTF did you get that?

104. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 17:58  Blue 

djinn wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 17:54:
Well it would be unfortunate to have to lock a thread about the implications of free speech... if irony was inflammable we might start a fire... I'll most likely delete future attempts to take this thread down that path.

Meaning what? That my comment makes less sens if you remove a handful of words?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

103. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 17:54 djinn

102. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 17:54 Dirwulf

Homosexuals are gay...

101. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 17:54 panbient

OBVIOUS PUBLICITY STUNT SHOULD BE OBVIOUS.

It's not like Cannibal Corpse has ever taken themselves this seriously nor are they recording a new album slated to be release early next year... oh, wait.

100. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 17:54 Prez

For a person that has no lines, you seem to be drawing a line over how far 'hypersensitive sissies' can react. Ironic much?

Boy that's really stretching the boundary. I think you are trying a bit too hard. I didn't draw a line - You can cry as much as you want about this. And I can laugh at you about crying over it as much as I want. Then you in turn can get pissed off at me as you want because I'm a racist, homophobic, chauvinist demon who has the nerve to NOT be offended. Then I can laugh at you some more, etc. etc. etc.

See? No lines - stop making stuff up. If you want a serious answer to the second part of your post, anyway. If not, carry on then.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

99. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 17:48 Asmo

Prez wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 17:07:

Sure. No one would think he were serious.

Yeah - it would have made me chuckle.

Yup. I'd have laughed too.

I don't. There is no line. It's made up by hypersensitive sissies who cry a lot because it gets them attention from other sissies.

For a person that has no lines, you seem to be drawing a line over how far 'hypersensitive sissies' can react. Ironic much?

By the whole 'no lines' logic, if someone verbally harrasses someone (ie. bullies) them it's okay and the victim is just being hypersensitive? Or is it only okay when they're broadly insulting an entire groups of people rather than picking on any one individual sissy? Rolleyes

98. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 17:40 ventry

Prez wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 17:07:
I don't. There is no line. It's made up by hypersensitive sissies who cry a lot because it gets them attention from other sissies.

LOL!!!

WINNAHHHH.

Lot of butt hurt peeps here.

I say: Crush ALL loud mouthed minority groups.

LOL!
Political correctness: The "Black Plague" of 21st century man.

97. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 17:38 Asmo

MajorD wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 13:23:
Good point.

Yes, this 'Hate Speech' was extreme and unnecessary.

So, to expand on your comments, if I may, for example - I wonder why a comedian can make a heterosexual joke, and heterosexuals find it funny and entertaining, but if a comedian makes a homosexual/gay joke, most of the gays are up in arms and scream that it is offensive blah, blah, blah. Heterosexuals laugh because they are comfortable with their sexuality, so if homosexuals ‘REALLY’ felt right and comfortable with their sexuality they shouldn’t find it offensive, but funny/entertaining.

Not to pick a fight, but by that logic if the guy had called the alliance a bunch of niggers, African American's who were confortable with their ethnicity shouldn't really find it offensive?

Yeah, somehow I don't see that happening...

Homosexuals can indeed choose not to be offended by the use of the word 'gay' meaning pathetic/weak/crappy etc if they want to. That doesn't mean that some gays won't get offended, and it doesn't mean they shouldn't express their outrage if it does offend them. The person making the slur (however it was intended) doesn't get to pick the reaction. Calling those who do get offended 'primadonnas' etc just reinforces the insult...

"We're characterising 'gay' as weak and shit, and you're gay if you get offended by that..."

Do you think various women's organisations wouldn't have been offended if he used the word cunt? Jew's if he used the word kike?

*for noting, I'm not using these words just to put them up there for shock value, but in context. Think about your reaction to casually uttering them as a derogatory term for something every day compared to how often you use the word "gay".

Darks wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 13:38:
Funny Blues how you talk about free speech yet you removed my comment about Gays and their weird ways... Nice!!!

Where’s my free speech when you removed it? I believe I’m guaranteed my rights under the current constitution.

You are not guaranteed your free speech on privately owned internet forums. This is Blues page and if he chooses to remove a comment he deems offensive or as possibly sidetracking the conversation, that's up to him. You do always have the choice to go write a blog and express your views to your hearts content.

96. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 17:38 MajorD

Hudson wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 17:35:
And look how quickly they bow down to "GayGamer". Ridiculous.

They shouldnt have to apologize to anyone. What a joke

I know, that is so GAY!!! Laugh

95. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 17:35 Angrius Maximis

And look how quickly they bow down to "GayGamer". Ridiculous.

They shouldnt have to apologize to anyone. What a joke

94. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 17:07 Prez

If he had said "The Alliance are a bunch of [n-word]s and we should kill them all!" would that have been ok to you?

Sure. No one would think he were serious.

What if he came out in blackface? Would that have been cool?

Yeah - it would have made me chuckle.

What if he came out and said "I can't wait for WoW to be on the Xbox. PC gamers are all virgins that are too fat to even touch themselves!" Would you guys have been ok with that?

Yup. I'd have laughed too.

Also, where do people like you draw the line?

- Mahatma Gandhi

93. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 17:03 Mashiki Amiketo

Beamer wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 14:33:
So that guy just said black face is ok.

And the conversation is still including him...?
Zing! Your lack of understanding, not only of history but historical context, movies, music, stageplay among other things astounds me. Blackface is still used today, and by top production companies worldwide.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

212 Replies. 11 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo