Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized

The closing performance at BlizzCon 2011 by Level 90 Epic Tauren Chieftain has drawn fire from GLAAD for anti-gay slurs in a lead-in video from guest singer George 'Corpseater' Fisher from Cannibal Corpse, reports GayGamer. Word is: "The problem? His hate for the Alliance. Specifically, the anti-gay language used to describe them. Though bleeped-out, Fisher's diatribe calls Alliance players a number of anti-gay slurs, and declares that they should die." They say this "has prompted GLAAD to initiate an outreach to Blizzard." VG247 notes the following official comment on this from Blizzard:

Thank you everyone for your feedback regarding the closing night performance at BlizzCon. While we had some other messaging worked up we were going to post, the members of band wanted to instead address it themselves:

Hey guys, we read and heard all the feedback from BlizzCon this year. The Corpsegrinder bit was never intended to be taken seriously. We are sorry that we offended anyone; everything at our shows is just meant in fun. Thank you all for speaking up. Well definitely keep this in mind for future shows.

Our humblest apologies,

Level 90 Elite Tauren Chieftain

View
212 Replies. 11 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

72. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 15:07 Beamer

Overon wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 15:02:
Matshock wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 14:52:
Overon wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 14:43:
Blizzard is a huge studio with tons of fans. It does not behoove them to be associated with biggotry of any type.

You can say whatever you like, just don't expect people to keep silent when biggots say what they like. Also on a website, the website operator can remove anything he/she likes, for whatever reason period. I'm shocked that Blue does not want to be associated with biggotry. *scarcasm*

Gay biggotry is disgusting to me. All biggotry is disgusting to me. It takes no courage to be biggoted against a group with a particular characteristic.

It also takes no courage to express outrage against bigotry. At least not anonymously on the internet.
It also takes no courage to express disdain for the ourage againt bigotry. At least not anonymously on the internet. We can go on like that that infinitely.

I'm not outraged. It's typical and in many settings socially accpetable to use gay slurs. This incident is just a symptom of the larger problem of prejudice and biggotry. Instead of anti gay slurs, substitute gender slurs or ethnic slurs. The point is that Blizzard gave a guy a big stage to voice his gay slurs. Slurs that I hardly think they would embrace publicly.

Precisely. It's asinine. And it's completely valid that some find it offensive that a video game company such as Blizzard aired a video in which a guy compares being gay to being pathetic.
I'm sure plenty of WoW players are gay.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

71. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 15:06 Beamer

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 14:48:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 14:02:
Beamer wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 13:50:
You do realize the hypocrisy here in not letting me be people, right?
And now go back and re-read what I wrote more slowly.

Also, where do people like you draw the line?
If he had said "The Alliance are a bunch of [n-word]s and we should kill them all!" would that have been ok to you?
What if he came out in blackface? Would that have been cool?
What if he came out and said "I can't wait for WoW to be on the Xbox. PC gamers are all virgins that are too fat to even touch themselves!" Would you guys have been ok with that?
Yes. Those are all fine, for a very obvious reason. If one segment of the population uses any of those with impunity all segments of the population should be able to use those with impunity. And various 'groups' do and have said things like that.

Probably not. So why is this different? Because you're not personally affected?

Also, it's hysterical how some morons turn this into religion or politics.
Don't worry when things fly over your head, speech is political these days. I live in a country with a 'hate crime' law, which criminalizes speech. And can be fined, and thrown into jail without due process by a kangeroo court that exists outside the normal courts thanks.

Yep. Moron indeed, some of us just happen to see what happens when political and special interest groups do when they criminalize speech.

Beamer aparently doesn't realize the whole politically correct movement that not only has politics right in the name, is entirely tied to politics and special interest groups in the first place. That's where it was born.

Yet he's calling others "morons". Go fig.

Untrue.
I'm not sure how you're turning this into something about the government. I'm not saying Blizzard or Corpsegrinder should be arrested or fined. I'm not saying the government should do anything about this.
I'm saying that we should mock them for being so stupid as to do something like this.

Someone said this probably means I voted for Obama. I don't see how that would factor into this at all. I'm not hoping Obama swoops down from Air Force One and ends this kind of speech.

-------------

70. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 15:06 LArac

You must be one of those if I say it enough it becomes true.

But as most of your type and what they say, you are wrong.

Lee
Just like trickle down economy, it is a lie, said over and over to make you think it is true.

69. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 15:04 Beamer

killer_roach wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 14:49:
Beamer wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 14:33:
So that guy just said black face is ok.

And the conversation is still including him...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment

Learn it. Understand it. Love it.

Yes. I do understand it. Better than most here, I'd assume, as I'm aware of how you can still be arrested in the United States for something you say despite the First Amendment existing.

But just because you CAN say something doesn't mean you should.
Also, the First Amendment covers me calling this something that shouldn't have happened, does it not?

-------------

68. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 15:02 Overon

Matshock wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 14:52:
Blizzard is a huge studio with tons of fans. It does not behoove them to be associated with biggotry of any type.

You can say whatever you like, just don't expect people to keep silent when biggots say what they like. Also on a website, the website operator can remove anything he/she likes, for whatever reason period. I'm shocked that Blue does not want to be associated with biggotry. *scarcasm*

Gay biggotry is disgusting to me. All biggotry is disgusting to me. It takes no courage to be biggoted against a group with a particular characteristic.

It also takes no courage to express outrage against bigotry. At least not anonymously on the internet.
It also takes no courage to express disdain for my the "outrage" againt bigotry. At least not anonymously on the internet. We can go on like that that infinitely.

I'm not outraged. It's typical and in many settings socially accpetable to use gay slurs. This incident is just a symptom of the larger problem of prejudice and biggotry. Instead of anti gay slurs, substitute gender slurs or ethnic slurs. Then there would be even more outrage. The point is that Blizzard gave a guy a big stage to voice his gay slurs. Slurs that I hardly think they would embrace publicly.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2011, 15:07.

67. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 14:53 Xombie

Beamer wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 12:12:

Again, it's his choice of words. No one is calling him a homophobe, they're saying he chose his words poorly by using "homosexual" as a synonym for "bad."

I can't tell if you're blindly defending WoW, blindly defending Cannibal Corpse or blindly defending that using "homosexual" to mean "shitty," but all three more or less suck.

I'm saying that blind outrage is stupid when people aren't even willing to put in the effort to see if there was anything to even be outraged about.

You, for instance, thought he said it at Blizzcon. GLADD thought that Blizzard themselves said it. Still others think that he was literally threatening people with death. When in reality, he wasn't even trying to be homophobic, he was acting out a caricature of a WoW fan.

It doesn't show an attitude of trying to help gay people, it shows an attitude of looking for a fight to pick. That's not productive.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

66. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 14:52 Matshock

65. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 14:51 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 12:51:
I have a gay sister. I have a gay friend. I am not outraged by his comments. My gay friend would think the whole thing was pretty funny, because unlike the primadonnas of the world, he has a sense of humor.

Just wanted to share.

My ex had a best friend who is a gay male and he used "fag" all the time, because just like me he grew up with it being a common term.

64. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 14:49 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 14:33:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment

Learn it. Understand it. Love it.

63. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 14:48 RollinThundr

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 14:02:
Beamer wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 13:50:
You do realize the hypocrisy here in not letting me be people, right?
And now go back and re-read what I wrote more slowly.

Also, where do people like you draw the line?
If he had said "The Alliance are a bunch of [n-word]s and we should kill them all!" would that have been ok to you?
What if he came out in blackface? Would that have been cool?
What if he came out and said "I can't wait for WoW to be on the Xbox. PC gamers are all virgins that are too fat to even touch themselves!" Would you guys have been ok with that?
Yes. Those are all fine, for a very obvious reason. If one segment of the population uses any of those with impunity all segments of the population should be able to use those with impunity. And various 'groups' do and have said things like that.

Probably not. So why is this different? Because you're not personally affected?

Also, it's hysterical how some morons turn this into religion or politics.
Don't worry when things fly over your head, speech is political these days. I live in a country with a 'hate crime' law, which criminalizes speech. And can be fined, and thrown into jail without due process by a kangeroo court that exists outside the normal courts thanks.

Yep. Moron indeed, some of us just happen to see what happens when political and special interest groups do when they criminalize speech.

Beamer aparently doesn't realize the whole politically correct movement that not only has politics right in the name, is entirely tied to politics and special interest groups in the first place. That's where it was born.

Yet he's calling others "morons". Go fig.

62. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 14:43 Overon

You can say whatever you like, just don't expect people to keep silent when biggots say what they like. Also on a website, the website operator can remove anything he/she likes, for whatever reason, period. In fact, they can be biggots themselves. I'm shocked that Blue does not want to be associated with biggotry. *sarcasm*

Gay biggotry is disgusting to me. All biggotry is disgusting to me. It takes no courage to be biggoted against a group with a particular characteristic and not only that but the reasons for this biggotry can be showed to be objectively false.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2011, 14:53.

61. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 14:34 Beamer

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 14:10:
It's funny because on his wiki page, the only controversy listed is this incident at Blizzcon.

You need attention to get controversy, and prior to this Corpsegrinder has just been, at most, "that guy that isn't Chris Barnes."

-------------

60. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 14:33 Beamer

-------------

59. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 14:30 Matshock

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 14:23:
Funny! The broadcasters association just tried to ban that in Canada recently, most stations said piss off. A few did a 24hr marathon playing that song non-stop.

It amazes me how many people don't get context anymore.

There's a big difference between "ha, ha you're funny" and "FU, FOAD".

58. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 14:27 Dirwulf

PHJF wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 14:23:
Dirwulf wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 14:14:
The little faggot with the earring and the makeup
Yeah buddy, that's his own hair
That little faggot got his own jet airplane
That little faggot he's a millionaire

-Dire Straits

Yeah, the one you don't hear on the radio. Or TV.

I don't know where you live, but I hear it on Jack FM and other classic rock radio stations in LA all the time.

And that's sort of my point...why aren't people out protesting Dire Straits concerts? Or their albums?

57. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 14:23 PHJF

-Dire Straits

Yeah, the one you don't hear on the radio. Or TV.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

56. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 14:23 Mashiki Amiketo

-Dire Straits
Funny! The broadcasters association just tried to ban that in Canada recently, most stations said piss off. A few did a 24hr marathon playing that song non-stop.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

55. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 14:15 Matshock

One could set up their own board and fill it with whatever speech they want.

A private person could sue a .gov board in the USA to prevent it from censoring posts and likely win.

Private boards can censor anything with impunity.

The Bill of Rights places limits on government, not private persons.

I edited out the word "citizens"- that's not entirely accurate.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2011, 14:21.

54. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 14:14 Dirwulf

-Dire Straits

53. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 14:11 Devinoch

Darks wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 14:03:
nin wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 13:40:
I believe Im guaranteed my rights under the current constitution.

I believe you're on a privately owned board, and your rights don't apply here.

I think some needs to go and read the constitution. Private board or not, that does not exclude our right to free speech.

I think someone needs to go take a First Amendment law class. Your rights absolutely don't apply here. It's a privately owned board. The owner has final say of things. What you're arguing is that I could come into your house and stand there and say whatever I wanted, and be protected by the Constitution. Your argument is flawed and ludicrous. Please try again.

212 Replies. 11 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo