Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
12. Re: Game Reviews Oct 27, 2011, 11:45 Verno

briktal wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 11:23:
To really know how big a deal the playing on casual thing was, I'd need to see exactly what the ending thing is. I can't tell if it's a whole level or just a cutscene or what from the discussion. But it's hard to put all the blame for this on the reviewer when you have the developer on twitter saying "Your review is inaccurate, there is a better ending if you play on normal" then "Oh my god you removed the inaccurate part of the review that is so unprofessional."

Right you haven't seen it for yourself but you get context from both sides. The developer says the reviewer only played on the lowest difficulty and thus didn't see all of the content the game has to offer. The reviewer says this isn't correct and that he did play on Normal. The developer points out the impossibility of that scenario given that the reviewer criticizes the lack of a final stage, something he would have seen in the Normal version. Reviewer says nothing but edits his review to remove that criticism.

It's not a one sided interaction and the big deal isn't about the difficulty itself, it's that the game reviewer lied and tried to play revisionist history. If he had just admitted his mistake and taken responsibility for it then it would have been slightly embarrassing but people would have moved on after the 3 hour news cycle on reddit or whatever.

It's the journalism equivalent of your newspaper editing out mistakes in their online issue or failing to give correction notices. Granted I doubt most of us expect much from IGN but it's situations like this that help perpetuate the whole "lol gaming journalism" attitude.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2011, 12:19.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Oct 27, 09:56 Re: Game Reviews nin
  2. Oct 27, 10:45 Re: Game Reviews Creston
  3. Oct 27, 11:03 Re: Game Reviews briktal
  4. Oct 27, 11:09  Re: Game Reviews Verno
  5. Oct 27, 11:11   Re: Game Reviews Beamer
  9. Oct 27, 11:23    Re: Game Reviews briktal
>> 12. Oct 27, 11:45     Re: Game Reviews Verno
  17. Oct 28, 12:37      Re: Game Reviews Alamar