Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Wired.com- If You Want To Fight Piracy, Make Better Games. Thanks nin.
Ubisoft’s plan isn’t working. Even after taking these drastic steps, the company says that 90 percent of the people who play its games are playing them illegally, according to Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter.

But how many people only used piracy as a way to bypass the DRM? How many of those pirates might have purchased PC copies of games like Assassin’s Creed II if they could be played without an internet connection?

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Op Ed Oct 27, 2011, 19:39 DedEye

Ya, missed CoD in the name...sorry!

Indeed, I still play IL2 '46; best WW2 sim to date despite a lacklustre campaign mode. I know at least one patch came out for Il2CoD, but from what my bud tells me frame rates are still horrid. He also says he never sees anyone playing on line.

For biplanes I'm into Rise of Flight. They've added a career mode that I'm checking out. Georgeous sim but needs lots-o-powah for max settings. Thing is, you can turn it down a bit and get silky smooth performance, even over cities, in dogfights, etc, which apparently isn't possible in CoD.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Op Ed Oct 27, 2011, 11:26 Verno

everyone wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 07:18:
Why do people keep saying that crap like it's some sort of universal truth?

Judging by the 30 million and counting Steam accounts I'd say it's as close to a widely accepted/understood truth as it gets in the PC gaming industry.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

28. Re: Op Ed Oct 27, 2011, 07:18 everyone

killer_roach wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 21:57:
Yes, Steam is DRM, and a fairly all-encompassing one at that, but it does something that UbiDRM and other always-on schemes haven't really done: Provide value-added to the end user.
Why do people keep saying that crap like it's some sort of universal truth?

27. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2011, 22:21 Prez

Dear Media, please stop referring to Valve as some sort of hold-out against the evil DRM overlords. They pretty much wrote the book on modern DRM. Love, Domgrief.

In a way I can agree, as much as I like and support Steam. But I think Valve is held up as a model in this case because they seem to have accomplished the herculean task of actually pleasing shareholders, publishers, and gamers alike with their platform. They certainly are galaxies better than Ubisoft (Ubistupid, Idiotsoft, whatever your favorite pet name for these complete morons of gaming might be...).

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2011, 21:57 killer_roach

Domgrief wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 20:25:
Dear Media, please stop referring to Valve as some sort of hold-out against the evil DRM overlords. They pretty much wrote the book on modern DRM. Love, Domgrief.

• Until Half-Life, you could rent online games

• Until Steam, it was considered normal to be able to loan, give or sell games to your friends

• Early versions of Steam behaved so poorly offline that it was effectively an almost-always-on DRM scheme

• You can't buy, install and play an off-the-shelf Steam game without connecting to the internet and attaching it to your Steam account

• They might speak out about some piracy-encouraging behaviours like localising late, but as a publisher they still support piracy-encouraging behaviours like it-costs-twice-as-much-in-Australia

• Clearly, Australia is its own planet.

1) Never really had online game rentals in the US, ever. Also, before Half-Life? Dial-up worked that well?

2) I think that changed even before Steam. Those windows started closing in the US and Europe around 1999-2001, well before Steam's launch.

3) Very true. I remember that. No longer the case, though (although GFWL tries to bring that back...).

4) So?

5) The Australian market is a rounding error to publishers, no offense.

Yes, Steam is DRM, and a fairly all-encompassing one at that, but it does something that UbiDRM and other always-on schemes haven't really done: Provide value-added to the end user.

25. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2011, 21:22 WyldKat

DedEye wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 19:10:
    I know it won't be the last time Ubi pulls this shit. As much as I had been waiting for IL2, I did not purchase it. Well what do you know, a friend of mine did and.....yes another steaming pile of bugs and crappy performance.

You mean Cliffs of Dover right? Right?

The original IL2 Sturmovik was, and still is, the best WWII combat flight-sim. I liked the interactive Cockpits in CoD but I was floored by how poorly the game ran, as well as ludicrous bugs such as trees not having any hit detection at all. The weak selection of warbirds killed it too. Seriously? A couple variants of Hurricanes and Spitfires is all you get for fighters allied side? They're as bad as Gran Turismo with 100 different models of Honda Civics.

Anyways yep, I totally agree that IL2 and Silent Hunter are two great series ruined by Ubisoft's mismanagement.

24. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2011, 20:25 Domgrief

• Until Half-Life, you could rent online games

• Until Steam, it was considered normal to be able to loan, give or sell games to your friends

• Early versions of Steam behaved so poorly offline that it was effectively an almost-always-on DRM scheme

• You can't buy, install and play an off-the-shelf Steam game without connecting to the internet and attaching it to your Steam account

• They might speak out about some piracy-encouraging behaviours like localising late, but as a publisher they still support piracy-encouraging behaviours like it-costs-twice-as-much-in-Australia
  •  

23. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2011, 20:06 Fletch

Claiming poor/diminished sales due to piracy is just a way for them to answer to their shareholders without having to admit that the game just sucked.

22. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2011, 20:04 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 16:09:
    I don't think so. I think quite a few people look at Ubi's stupid DRM scheme, say "fuck you", and just don't buy the game. There's really no blame there, but I guess according to UBI that's considered a "Win."
    Creston

THIS. I don't even bother with Ubisoft games anymore for this reason. There are so many other games out there, and my Steam account still has half the games in it not played. If I ever run out of things to play, hopefully by that time the games will be DRM free.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

21. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2011, 19:10 DedEye

Like the title says, if you want to fight piracy, make better games.

Silent Hunter 5 was the last purchase of an Ubisoft game I will make. The DRM was bad enough but to release the game in the state it was in and then abandon it......

....and this isn't the first time they've done this (it is the last time they do it to me however).

I know it won't be the last time Ubi pulls this shit. As much as I had been waiting for IL2, I did not purchase it. Well what do you know, a friend of mine did and.....yes another steaming pile of bugs and crappy performance.

Make better games, treat your customers right, and maybe you'll win some back. The rate they're going now I suspect they will end up having to abandon the PC as a platform.....and I suspect they'll be bitchin and moanin about piracy on consoles next.

What a bunch of dough-heads.....

20. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2011, 19:06 Sepharo

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 18:54:
    Spektr wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 14:01:
    Once again. When I bought Rage I realized I had lost the email access to Steam and I needed to use the game. It took Steam almost a week to handle the situation. ( five days ) Should I wait a week to play the game I just purchased ( at the local store ) or should I download the pirated version instead? Steam and such doesnt bring any bonus to the end users, it just takes away our rights. I totally agree with the theory that DRMs foster more piracy.

Ok so if you had a physical copy of the game and lost the disc's and you needed to reinstall the game, who's fault would it be? Shouldn't you have written down the info somewhere safe?

Actually it sounds like he lost his email that he uses for Steam. I could see that happening, say if you have a college email and for some reason they delete it on you before you're ready.

I assume that when something like that happens you have to contact Valve and somehow prove you are who you say. I don't think 5 days for that process is excessive, it could be shorter, but it's not bad. What they really need to do is allow you to have a backup email or register a phone number for activation.

Beyond the wait time itself this situation isn't really specific to Steam. It can happen on any site and Spektr likely had to go through this with multiple accounts.

My alma mater tried to cancel my email on me once and I threw a fit about it on the phone... I can still access my college email 3 years later

19. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2011, 18:54 The Half Elf

Spektr wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 14:01:
    Once again. When I bought Rage I realized I had lost the email access to Steam and I needed to use the game. It took Steam almost a week to handle the situation. ( five days ) Should I wait a week to play the game I just purchased ( at the local store ) or should I download the pirated version instead? Steam and such doesnt bring any bonus to the end users, it just takes away our rights. I totally agree with the theory that DRMs foster more piracy.

Ok so if you had a physical copy of the game and lost the disc's and you needed to reinstall the game, who's fault would it be? Shouldn't you have written down the info somewhere safe?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

18. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2011, 18:42 Sepharo

Prez wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 16:58:
    Steam encourages customers to buy games, share them with friends and compete online for achievements. For those players, it becomes more fun to buy games than pirate them.

I've loved Steam for a while now, but not until recently did I realize the fun in chasing a Steam friend's high score. I'd normally have no reason to go back and repeat a level I maxed in most games, but this morning, while playing Orcs Must Die, I looked up at the corner of the screen after finishing a level with 5 skulls (who da man!) and noticed those bastards Dev and Verno had even higher scores than I did for that level. I simply can NOT let that stand!

That's how I am with G+ Angry Birds. You can actually have an alert sent to the friend when you beat their score, signified by a brag button next to their name. In addition to my actual friends I have a few hundred game industry folks in a circle and out of that 15+ or so have played G+ Angry Birds and I'm beating them all too!

Yes quite the achievement, I know.

17. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2011, 18:05 Uncle Bone

"the pirates are about to make Ubisoft their bitch"

"suck it down"

(+1 internets if you known the reference)

16. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2011, 16:58 Prez

Steam encourages customers to buy games, share them with friends and compete online for achievements. For those players, it becomes more fun to buy games than pirate them.

I've loved Steam for a while now, but not until recently did I realize the fun in chasing a Steam friend's high score. I'd normally have no reason to go back and repeat a level I maxed in most games, but this morning, while playing Orcs Must Die, I looked up at the corner of the screen after finishing a level with 5 skulls (who da man!) and noticed those bastards Dev and Verno had even higher scores than I did for that level. I simply can NOT let that stand!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    - Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2011, 16:51 space captain

Creston wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 16:08:
    Every time you pirate a game, Ubisoft kills a kitten!

Oh wait, that's actually true.

Creston

actually, its three kittens.. otherwise there wouldnt be enough blood to fill the goblet from which they drink afterwards

Go forth, and kill!

14. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2011, 16:09 Creston

Ruffiana wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 13:35:
    Lots of valid points, but I don't agree with the general idea that all piracy is harmless and never equates to a lost sale. It's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario as far as I'm concerned, with both sides entrenched in their ideals and pointing the blame at the other.

I don't think so. I think quite a few people look at Ubi's stupid DRM scheme, say "fuck you", and just don't buy the game. There's really no blame there, but I guess according to UBI that's considered a "Win."

Creston

13. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2011, 16:08 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 11:06:
    90% is absurd, where is the support for these figures? Why not 110%? Let's just get silly with this stuff. Piracy kills 1 out of every 10 children, someone think of the children.

Every time you pirate a game, Ubisoft kills a kitten!

Oh wait, that's actually true.

Creston

12. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2011, 16:06 Creston

But how many people only used piracy as a way to bypass the DRM? How many of those pirates might have purchased PC copies of games like Assassin’s Creed II if they could be played without an internet connection?

Foolish Pachter! NONE, of course! Ubisoft knows what it's doing! Its DRM scheme is working perfectly!

Creston

11. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2011, 15:53 Prez

How many of those pirates might have purchased PC copies of games like Assassin’s Creed II if they could be played without an internet connection?

Here's one. Actually, I did buy AC 2 on Steam but I never installed it. I played the hell out of the hacked version. Way to totally screw up an otherwise fantastic game, idiots. Those Ubisoft knuckleheads are re-defining 'stupid' when it comes to business.

- Mahatma Gandhi

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo