Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Gamespot Oct 27, 2011, 12:27 Creston

Aero wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 00:44:
I've heard people say it's only 4 hours long, but I'm not quite done yet and I've put in six hours without dieing a whole lot.

Remember when Dice said, earlier this year, that it'd be 12 hours?

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Gamespot Oct 27, 2011, 00:44 Aero

The SP campaign is okay. Probably worth $20-25 or so by itself. I've heard people say it's only 4 hours long, but I'm not quite done yet and I've put in six hours without dieing a whole lot. Bots would have been great though. With co-op, that would be all sorts of fun.

The co-op that's in there is a joke.

It's also a good game to flex a powerful system if you want to see some pretty pictures.

23. Re: Gamespot Oct 26, 2011, 22:41 Prez

Now, on the other hand, if they had provided bots, improving them using the BF2 bots as a base, that actually would have made it worth purchasing for just SP (not to mention all the other things like practice, system configuration, and so on). I had a lot of fun with the BF2 bots. They were stupid to be sure and nothing like real people (though that in a good way too), it could be a great little diversion in small chunks.

I was secretly hoping for a BF2142 SP/Coop model - that is, the same game as MP except with bots. I loved playing that way, especially in coop. As it stands now there's really no reason for me to get BF3 at any price.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Gamespot Oct 26, 2011, 21:35 Aero

Yeah, that particular quote made me do a double take. Battlelog seems to be, at least in a piecemeal fashion, almost universally hated, but that quote reads like EA wrote it themselves.

I quite liked the SP campaign, but it was certainly nothing new or interesting in that sense. It was just COD but with nearly a generational leap in engine technology. Not worth buying it for the SP without a doubt.

Now, on the other hand, if they had provided bots, improving them using the BF2 bots as a base, that actually would have made it worth purchasing for just SP (not to mention all the other things like practice, system configuration, and so on). I had a lot of fun with the BF2 bots. They were stupid to be sure and nothing like real people (though that in a good way too), it could be a great little diversion in small chunks.

I hope they'll at least let people actually run around in empty servers once the server tools (or whatever) are released. That would be a reasonable way to practice and would remove the chicken-or-egg problem I have with my favorite server now. All it really takes is one or two people to join up, hang around for five or ten minutes and the server fills up, but when it's sitting there at zero and there is absolutely nothing to do if you aren't at the minimum player count, it's spending all its time idle. It's like they expect people to make Battlelog their homepage and just be signed in all the damn time.

It's definitely a case of "we don't have a fucking clue about anything" on DICE's part... or more likely, a ham-fisted attempt to manipulate people into playing BF3 some particular way for whatever end.

21. Re: Gamespot Oct 26, 2011, 21:18 space captain

These are complemented by the slick browser-based Battlelog, which serves as the hub from which you access each game mode. With EA's Origin software running unobtrusively in the background, Battlelog tracks your unlock progress, displays your stats, and enables you to join parties and launch games easily.

slurp slurp slurp

Go forth, and kill!

20. Re: Game Reviews Oct 26, 2011, 21:03 space captain

yeh its a bit mind boggling how shitty all that is.. hard to believe someone signed off on it and said "yeh, this is a great idea!"  
Go forth, and kill!

19. Re: BF3 reviews Oct 26, 2011, 20:19 jimnms

I still haven't played MP and probably wont get to until this weekend. The SP is OK, but they should have just kept it MP only and used that time improving other things. I'd rather be able to play offline with bots like in 1942 and BF2 so I can explore the maps and get used to the helicopter and jet controls before I jump into a MP game. I'm hoping there is a helicopter part in the SP campaign so I can at least know my controls are set up right for it when I do get on a MP server.

The way the game launches and works seems totally cluster fucked. I click the BF3 icon, it launches Origin, then launches my web browser. That is two extra memory hogging things that I shouldn't need to have running while playing a game. Right now Firefox is eating up almost a gig of ram, counting firefox.exe and plugin-container.exe. I usually restart the browser first though, which cuts it down to ~200MB. I have Steam and Origin both running and minimized right now. Origin is using up just over 100MB, which is a lot compared to Steam. Steam.exe and the SteamService.exe combined are using only 35MB.

Why do I need to launch my game with a web browser? What happens when Mozilla updates Firefox and the plugin is deemed incompatible?

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2011, 20:48.

MeanJim on Steam

18. Re: Game Reviews Oct 26, 2011, 20:11 Prez

On a side note I find the True PC Gaming review of Orcs Must Die to be right line with my impressions of the game. What a delightful surprise OMD turned out to be for me!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: Game Reviews Oct 26, 2011, 18:12 space captain

im noticing game reviews have zero impact on my life  
Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: Game Reviews Oct 26, 2011, 17:44 Prez

Aero wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 17:01:
I'm noticing the scores are falling as we're getting further away from the 24th.

SILENCE HIM! Trollbashing

- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Game Reviews Oct 26, 2011, 17:41 Creston

Aero wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 17:01:
I'm noticing the scores are falling as we're getting further away from the 24th.

Don't say that, as there is obviously NOT a review bias by EA in giving copies to those outlets that are known to slobber EA knob while ignoring those that are kind of "meh" about the whole EA empire. Even hinting that such a thing might be going on just means you wear a lot of tinfoil and are "just a haterz."

Creston

14. Re: Game Reviews Oct 26, 2011, 17:01 Aero

13. Re: Game Reviews Oct 26, 2011, 16:38 Prez

Creston wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 16:17:
People still read IGN?

I think you can get a more unbiased opinion from an advertisement for a game on the publisher's own website.

Creston

HAHA! I haven't read IGN in ages, but if that's the case then they have at least maintained the status quo!

- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Game Reviews Oct 26, 2011, 16:17 Creston

People still read IGN?

I think you can get a more unbiased opinion from an advertisement for a game on the publisher's own website.

Creston

11. Re: Game Reviews Oct 26, 2011, 15:38 Pineapple Ferguson

Not surprisingly, IGN makes no reference to the always online DRM requirement to enjoy the full game in HOMM6.  

10. Re: Game Reviews Oct 26, 2011, 15:19 LittleMe

double post  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

9. Re: Game Reviews Oct 26, 2011, 15:18 LittleMe

remove  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

8. Re: Game Reviews Oct 26, 2011, 15:15 Aero

Oh, and I would add that I do actually like Battlelog in some ways. I like the stats, groups and friends and all that (bar some ridiculous UI decisions). Basically, it's nice as an additional feature, but I don't like that it's replacing functionality that would be more easily handled in game.

The server browser itself actually isn't a big deal, but the voice comm system is a joke compared to what it ought to be, the squad management doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense, and the whole thing is just clunkier than it ought to be.

Did I mention the voice comms is stupid? They couldn't replicate the work of a dozen developers before them? Couldn't have licensed an off-the-shelf VOIP solution and integrated it directly with the game? All I want it to do is put me in a channel with my current squad mates automatically, whomever they may be at the time.... and let me mute them if I want to.

7. Re: Game Reviews Oct 26, 2011, 15:03 Aero

The Origin bitrate is *definitely* lying. It was telling me I was getting 2.1 MB/s (which my ISP connection is *theoretically* capable of), but this computer is connected to my router over 10Mbps ethernet network, so it's not possible for me to get over 1.25MB/s here.

6. Re: Game Reviews Oct 26, 2011, 14:26 Matshock

And a weird update:

Either Origin's data rate counter is busted or Origin is ignoring my ISP's throttling- it's way past what my limit is.

Steam always goes right to the limit then stays there.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo