Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim Specs

With the RPG sequel due in less than three weeks, the Bethesda Blog now offers these system specifications for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim:

Recommended Specs

• Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
  • 4GB System RAM
  • 6GB free HDD space
  • DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce
  • GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • Internet access for Steam activation

Minimum Specs

• Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
  • 2GB System RAM
  • 6GB free HDD Space
  • Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • Internet access for Steam activation

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

69. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 27, 2011, 18:48 Eldaron Imotholin

What TES still has to bring home is the sense of community/alliance/whatever you wanna call it and a sense of purpose instead of just running around collecting legendary items from cave-bandits. In both Morrowind and Oblivion I felt like a loner to a point I actually felt lonely IRL while playing the game. Those games were the absolute best in getting you to realize that playing a game does not help you progress in life and is utterly useless and a waste of time. We don't wanna be reminded of that, do we?

Edit: I sometimes find it hard to express the proper feelings in English. Gave my best shot for 01:50 AM. Night night folks.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

68. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 26, 2011, 19:28 Kastagir

To each his/her own. Cyrodiil certainly was a lot more bland than Morrowind, I don't think anyone can disagree with that. That's what made Shivering Isles so refreshing - visually, at least.

67. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 26, 2011, 18:46 Sepharo

I think "hollow" is a great word for describing all of Oblivion. Game bored the shit out of me with nearly every aspect. Hoping Skyrim will be more "weird" and "interesting" like Morrowind.  

66. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 26, 2011, 18:24 Kastagir

avianflu wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 14:36:
the gameplay vids are *great* though I still remember the hollow shell that was Oblivion. Those cookie-cutter dungeons and the uber-glowy effects on absolutely every single object in the game. Hoping for the best.

I don't know that I'd use the word "hollow" to characterize Oblivion's gameplay, but the dungeons were a bit repetitive. That was because they were all designed by one person. Skyrim's dungeons were designed by a team of 8 designers.

65. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 26, 2011, 17:40 theyarecomingforyou

avianflu wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 14:36:
the gameplay vids are *great* though I still remember the hollow shell that was Oblivion. Those cookie-cutter dungeons and the uber-glowy effects on absolutely every single object in the game. Hoping for the best.
They've already stated they've hand-designed each dungeon to give it a unique look and feel, as they too were disappointed with the dungeons in Oblivion. Even so, you cannot call Oblivion a "hollow shell" with any credibility. It was a deeper game than 90% of the competition and pushed the technical boundaries of the time. People can argue that the RPG elements were too watered down, sure, but not that the game was "hollow".

Given the gameplay videos I've seen, and Oblivion before it, I don't have any doubt that Skyrim will be a great game. I don't think it will impress visually as much as Oblivion did at the time, though I think the improvements to gameplay will more than make up for it. I just enjoy open world games where you can explore and find all sorts of obscure side-quests.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

64. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 26, 2011, 16:30 Prez

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquistion a Bethesda game to be perfect out of the gate given it has Bethesda's trademark depth and huge world, while I hate buggy, unoptimized releases I'm a very excited about this game.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2011, 17:09.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

63. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 26, 2011, 14:36 avianflu

62. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 26, 2011, 13:40 Mashiki Amiketo

Kastagir wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 13:36:
Just a humble suggestions, but it's probably not worth the effort to argue with people who clearly haven't followed this game's development as closely as others have.
Yeah, but where's the fun in pointing out someone is an idiot when they have no experience in developing, or writing mods for games?

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

61. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 26, 2011, 13:36 Kastagir

Just a humble suggestions, but it's probably not worth the effort to argue with people who clearly haven't followed this game's development as closely as others have.  

60. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 26, 2011, 13:31 Mashiki Amiketo

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 12:57:
Unless they are going to be using the same textures over and over and over and over and over again....either way....fail
Okay. So I guess your brilliant idea is to use 250gb of "one time unique" textures for every movement, and every character? Right. Your sentence shows exactly how little you understand of game development. Textures are always reused, especially on 2d plane surfaces in a 3d environment.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

59. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 26, 2011, 13:23 Creston

InBlack wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 08:44:
Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 06:00:
I predict this game will be far shorter than desired.

6GB, even compressed, can't make for a very large world. Either that or it is going to be very linear so it is less of a 'world' and more of a 'hiking trail with quests'.

If it ends up like this Im not buying, the big explorable world has always been my number one draw to Elder Scroll Games. It would be a shame if they fucked it up, but its not like the gaming industry is famous for sticking to what makes their games great...

All this "It will just be hiking trail with quests" horseshit is just that: horseshit. The install size has very little to do with the world size. You could double Oblivion's traversable world space with a <100MB mod.

Creston

58. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 26, 2011, 13:22 PHJF

Rage made a "breakthrough" with textures, too. Shocked

Fuckin eh right Just Cause 2 was some mind-boggling beautiful shit. The textures didn't matter in JC2 because you were almost always flying/zipping through the air, whereas in Skyrim you're going to be walking around on the ground. I still can't believe what those guys did with JC2, though. Completely out of the blue, that game. Besides the obviously-amazing lighting, I think I liked the clouds the best. Perfectly light and fluffy clouds all over the place.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2011, 13:27.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

57. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 26, 2011, 13:21 Creston

finga wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 08:23:
all because some gamers get irrationally angry at a Press Enter to Begin screen.

But RAGE's several-seconds-long "Saving Content" that follows the "Press Enter to Begin" screen? Fuck that shit. What exactly are you saving? I only just started the fucking game!

Nod

Creston

56. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 26, 2011, 13:20 Creston

As for those worried about "only 6 gigs???" look at it this way:

Rage is 25 Gigs and looks mostly like ass. Just Cause 2 is 4.8 Gigs (IIRC) and it's fucking gorgeous. Both were co-developed for PC and consoles, just like Skyrim was.

Ergo, don't treat Rage as some sort of benchmark.

Creston

55. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 26, 2011, 13:18 Kastagir

foot wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 09:43:
After getting heavily burned by Rage I'm going to wait for some trusted reviewers to play through the game before even thinking of making a purchase. Because really, all the signs of danger are present: brand new engine, small footprint, humble specs. Expect the worst, hope for the best, as they say.

Remember, Bethesda didn't develop Rage, they just published it. Bethesda=id Software is not a true statement. Every ES game has had a "brand new engine" and hasn't been a disaster. Bethesda at least know what their doing. Obsidian, on the other hand, took a game with an optimized, well-established engine, and made it crash on over 50% of the computers out there. I'll take Bethesda over any of these other guys any day, new engine and all.

6GB, even compressed, can't make for a very large world. Either that or it is going to be very linear so it is less of a 'world' and more of a 'hiking trail with quests'.

I'm surprised at the amount of displeasure about this spec. Right after Skyrim was announced, Bethesda made it clear that they had made "breakthroughs" in texture compression technology. The result would be a game that would still be able to fit on a single DVD, yet be larger and more detailed than Oblivion. What more do you want?

54. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 26, 2011, 12:57 dj LiTh

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 11:54:

Uh. What? I'm guessing you've never made a world space in a game before. World spaces are tiny small reference plates and don't weigh in more than a couple of dozen megs unless they're getting complex with cell references.

Unless they are going to be using the same textures over and over and over and over and over again....either way....fail

53. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 26, 2011, 11:54 Mashiki Amiketo

Uh. What? I'm guessing you've never made a world space in a game before. World spaces are tiny small reference plates and don't weigh in more than a couple of dozen megs unless they're getting complex with cell references.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

52. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 26, 2011, 11:19 Dev

ShakaUVM wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 03:57:
Kastagir wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 02:32:
It's a new engine written by Bethesda from the ground up called the "Creation Engine."
Which means, if experience means anything, it will be a crashy bugfest until a year after its release.
Say what? Game Byro games were crashy bug fests for as long as the engine was used, not just a year. Each individual game might have gotten patched up after a year, but the engine clearly could have used a lot of work. My feeling is that even though gamebyro was the engine for some great games, that was DESPITE the engine, not because of it.

51. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 26, 2011, 11:03 Verno

CythrawL wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 10:40:
If you had even bothered to look it up or follow it, you would see that its an all new Engine called the Creation Engine...

He fooled you into doing the work for him mister gorgonzola.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

50. Re: Skyrim Specs Oct 26, 2011, 10:56 wonkawonka

Icewind wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 06:11:
Nice smiley. Are you 12?
Also, perhaps we think that Bethesda graduated from kindergarten and wants to make adult games again? Could be.

I wish I were 12, young padawan. I wish.
Bethesda games are adult enough, just version 0.5.

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo