Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 27, 2011, 13:33 Mashiki Amiketo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 10:26:
On that note - I am looking for a slimmer antivirus solution if anyone has one that isn't a resource hog, let me know. AVG is killin me.
Avast or MSE. MSE if you have a machine that will run it, XP64 not included, but it has a good detection rate and can be supplmented with something like spybot S&D or super-anti-spyware.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2011, 16:29 Creston

On that note - I am looking for a slimmer antivirus solution if anyone has one that isn't a resource hog, let me know. AVG is killin me.

Either Avast or (surprisingly), Security Essentials are fine.
In fact, I actually like SE better than Avast (less intrusive and catches more malware.)

Creston

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2011, 13:17 DG

Lot of folks recommending MS's freebie Security Essentials.

I still have AVG on this machine just out of habit, but installed SE on a work laptop. Does seem very light but then it also seems light on configuration options. There's no gamer mode and not sure it's smart enough to delay a scheduled scan while you're in-game (it does scan when I have work programs open, but they're not CPU-intensive).

Also I doubt it is very aggressive about what and when it scans, so doubt I'd recommend it to anyone with, how should I say, high-risk internet activities.

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2011, 11:06 Mr. Tact

I use zip so infrequently the WinZip I bought nearly a decade ago is still working fine -- no need for upgrades.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2011, 10:26 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 00:51:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 19:23:
Congrats to winzip, catching up to what 7zip did nearly 3 years ago.

Why anyone still uses winzip is beyond me. (Well, no. Actually it's just because they're stupid and don't know any better.)

The company I work for actually keeps ordering fucking licenses for winzip at like 35 bucks a pop. Every time I hear someone talk about a license I install 7zip for them, and save the company 35 bucks. Which nobody of course ever mentions, the fuckers.

Creston

WHen I worked for the Geek Squad (pre Best Buy) we were able to use all of the independent products (not legally) to fix computers and had a very easy time fixing even the most trivial stuff. I still use a lot of the products now in personal life and fixing friend's pcs, etc., but talking to someone who still works there, they had to ditch all of the great tools we used as they were mostly "not for commercial use" and they have a hard time fixing even the most trivial stuff now. Their solution is basically format and reinstall - which is dumb.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2011, 04:51 InBlack

You should shut your mouth and let your stupid company fail Creston.

Better yet start a fire in the office and watch the fuckers burn...

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2011, 00:51 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 19:23:

Why anyone still uses winzip is beyond me. (Well, no. Actually it's just because they're stupid and don't know any better.)

The company I work for actually keeps ordering fucking licenses for winzip at like 35 bucks a pop. Every time I hear someone talk about a license I install 7zip for them, and save the company 35 bucks. Which nobody of course ever mentions, the fuckers.

Creston

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 25, 2011, 21:41 Fang

I'm always trying to think of machine learning applications, for my next startup. That thermostat is brilliant, I wish I had thought of it.  

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 25, 2011, 20:00 jimnms

Even WinRAR had a 64bit version out 2 years or more ago.  

MeanJim on Steam

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 25, 2011, 19:23 Mashiki Amiketo

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo