Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 26, 2011, 14:16 avianflu

I giantly agree with Verno:

It was no secret that Netflix is being squeezed for buckets of $$ from both sides (ISP's and digital content owners) so Netflix's cost increases to consumers shouldn't be a shock to anyone following the whole netflix story.

The larger problem for consumers is that ripoff cable TV companies are rubbing their hands with glee because Netflix is stumbling so poorly. Netflix was the only real competition they had.

And you can be sure Amazon is watching all of this carefully because the failure of Netflix could cast a shadow over what Amazon wants to accomplish with the Amazon Kindle Fire (i.e. streaming vids with Amazon Prime).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 26, 2011, 09:40 Verno

WyldKat wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 17:08:
Many more of us downgraded because we didn't wish to get charged 60% more for nothing new added.

If Netflix didn't have Buffy and Star Trek, or the occasional interesting documentary I would have already unsubscribed completely.

For now it seems the best alternative for new releases is RedBox or BitTorrent. Thanks Netflix.

Netflix is in a tough spot, the price of obtaining licenses for the media they provide is always going up but people like them for their price and features. The streaming availability is especially tough since so many media corporations are determined to get rid of the middleman. Unfortunately Netflix just lost a shitload of market cap too which is going to hurt negotiations for contracts and potential buyouts.

Really though people have been too reactionary and incensed about this. The alternatives are largely shit, inconvenient or piracy with little in between. I think Netflix made some dumb moves but they still provide a fantastic service overall for a more than reasonable price.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 25, 2011, 17:12 nin

WyldKat wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 17:08:
Many more of us downgraded because we didn't wish to get charged 60% more for nothing new added.

If Netflix didn't have Buffy and Star Trek, or the occasional interesting documentary I would have already unsubscribed completely.

For now it seems the best alternative for new releases is RedBox or BitTorrent. Thanks Netflix.

Yep, I went from two dvd/streaming to one dvd/streaming to keep the same price.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 25, 2011, 17:08 WyldKat

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 25, 2011, 16:48 Dev

meezookeewee wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 11:55:
They weren't going to sell their DVD service, they were just going split it off from the streaming section while making people have two accounts instead of just one.
... Which is what's needed if they are going to sell off the service, split it up. And the renaming to something that sounds nothing like netflix is a good move too, so whatever company buys it if they run it into the ground, it won't be associated with netflix anymore.

Thats IF they were planning to sell it off in the near future. If they weren't, all that was incredibly idiotic as I said.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 25, 2011, 16:22 Prez

Netflix had a bad quarter but it'll turn around. It is getting all of the TV shows I've been wanting to watch like Warehouse 13, Rescue Me, Breaking Bad, Being Human, and Nikita, and I am hoping that once it sheds itself of the crappy Starzplay contract it will start getting better movies too.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 25, 2011, 15:16 SirKnight

I like netflix and will continue to use it for as long as I can.

I may end up dropping the DVD portion but for now it stays. I use the streaming option most often.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 25, 2011, 11:55 meezookeewee

Frankly, I abandoned Netflix long before they announced that price increase. They weren't going to sell their DVD service, they were just going split it off from the streaming section while making people have two accounts instead of just one. Everything that Hastings has said and done over the past year have led the company from bad to worse. Their stocks have dropped like a rock and they're losing customers left and right. That's how you run a business into the ground, which is exactly what's happening to Netflix.  

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 25, 2011, 11:11 Dev

Netflix seems to be doing incompetent things. If they were going to sell the dvd service, they shoulda sucked it up and and went through with the plans and renamed it to quikster like they said. If they were NOT intending to do that, the whole move was idiotic.  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo