Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 PC Checklist

The Battlefield Blog has a checklist for PC gamers looking to be ready to play Battlefield 3 when DICE's military shooter sequel is released in North America tomorrow. The list consists of creating an Origin account, downloading the Origin client, making sure you have the latest graphics card drivers, preloading the game itself (if you've preordered from a digital distributer), and checking that your PC conforms to the following specs:

Minimum System Requirements
PROCESSOR: 2 GHZ DUAL CORE (CORE 2 DUO 2.4 GHZ OR ATHLON X2 2.7 GHZ)
MEMORY: 2 GB
HARD DRIVE: 20 GB
GRAPHICS CARD (AMD): DIRECTX 10.1 COMPATIBLE WITH 512 MB RAM (ATI RADEON 3000, 4000, 5000 OR 6000 SERIES, WITH ATI RADEON 3870 OR HIGHER PERFORMANCE)
GRAPHICS CARD (NVIDIA): DIRECTX 10.0 COMPATIBLE WITH 512 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE 8, 9, 200, 300, 400 OR 500 SERIES WITH NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GT OR HIGHER PERFORMANCE)
SOUND CARD: DIRECTX COMPATIBLE
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
DVD ROM DRIVE

Recommended System Requirements
PROCESSOR: QUAD-CORE CPU
MEMORY: 4 GB
HARD DRIVE: 20 GB
GRAPHICS CARD: DIRECTX 11 COMPATIBLE WITH 1024 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 OR ATI RADEON 6950)
SOUND CARD: DIRECTX COMPATIBLE
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
DVD ROM DRIVE

View
15. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Checklist Oct 25, 2011, 08:46 Verno

I unlocked after work yesterday and checked it out, Dice was mostly true to their word and a lot of stuff from beta was indeed fixed. Graphically it blows away the Call of Duty games, everything from the foliage to tracers and jets whooshing by looks incredible. The game is really motion blur heavy so be sure to turn that off. HBAO is a massive performance hit for very little gain, that is a safe disable as well. The sound design is excellent, I'm not going to say much about it but it's easily the games best feature.

Vehicles are very vulnerable, almost too vulnerable even. I could barely get airborne in jets without a lock on warning. Tanks are easily disabled, you really need an engineer along for the ride. Helicopters are surprisingly the most effective I've found given their ability to go vertical behind natural/man made cover.

The ground pounding is where things happen and things are fairly well balanced. Even on Normal servers every round is potentially lethal from most weapons, in fact its pretty rare that you get tagged and survive the engagement. I'm really not a fan of how they portray incoming fire, you see some blurry lines then you're dead. It might realistic but it's kind of annoying. As expected strategic camping is the most effective tactic for Conquest. Don't touch open roads and don't move without cover if you can help it.

The campaign is surprisingly ho-hum. Typical CoD style PUSH BUTAN TO DO ACTION stuff. I only played an hour but I couldn't get into the story at all. It reminded me of a tamer Modern Warfare 2 and that's not a favorable comparison considering how much I disliked MW2. If you buy this game I would do it for the MP which is excellent. My biggest lament is the inclusion of 3-4 CoD style meatgrinder maps in the multiplayer, the open maps are the real standouts and the rest seems like a literal nod to the console kids.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Oct 24, 22:35 oh yeah.... Shataan
  2. Oct 24, 23:47  Re: oh yeah.... Linksil
  3. Oct 24, 23:50   Re: oh yeah.... Bucky
  4. Oct 25, 00:21    Re: oh yeah.... DarkCntry
  13. Oct 25, 04:55  removed yjingjing
  5. Oct 25, 00:22 Re: Battlefield 3 PC Checklist ^mortis^
  6. Oct 25, 00:39  Re: RE: Follow up UConnBBall
  7. Oct 25, 01:21   Re: RE: Follow up Bucky