Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 PC Checklist

The Battlefield Blog has a checklist for PC gamers looking to be ready to play Battlefield 3 when DICE's military shooter sequel is released in North America tomorrow. The list consists of creating an Origin account, downloading the Origin client, making sure you have the latest graphics card drivers, preloading the game itself (if you've preordered from a digital distributer), and checking that your PC conforms to the following specs:

Minimum System Requirements
PROCESSOR: 2 GHZ DUAL CORE (CORE 2 DUO 2.4 GHZ OR ATHLON X2 2.7 GHZ)
MEMORY: 2 GB
HARD DRIVE: 20 GB
GRAPHICS CARD (AMD): DIRECTX 10.1 COMPATIBLE WITH 512 MB RAM (ATI RADEON 3000, 4000, 5000 OR 6000 SERIES, WITH ATI RADEON 3870 OR HIGHER PERFORMANCE)
GRAPHICS CARD (NVIDIA): DIRECTX 10.0 COMPATIBLE WITH 512 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE 8, 9, 200, 300, 400 OR 500 SERIES WITH NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GT OR HIGHER PERFORMANCE)
SOUND CARD: DIRECTX COMPATIBLE
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
DVD ROM DRIVE

Recommended System Requirements
PROCESSOR: QUAD-CORE CPU
MEMORY: 4 GB
HARD DRIVE: 20 GB
GRAPHICS CARD: DIRECTX 11 COMPATIBLE WITH 1024 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 OR ATI RADEON 6950)
SOUND CARD: DIRECTX COMPATIBLE
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
DVD ROM DRIVE

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Checklist Oct 25, 2011, 18:47 MacK

When will game publishers realize that increasing the number of game clients hurts them more than it helps them. The more programs I have to have installed on my computer to play games, the more annoyed I will be. I read a review of Origin and saw how stupid and pointless it was, so I refuse to get it.

Once EA realizes that their sales are down compared to what they expected, lets hope that they will put it on Steam. I am not a Steam fanboy, but I have a crap load of games on it, so I don't particularly want to get another one. Also, since only EA games are on Origin, I don't want it.

Don't get me wrong, I want to play BF3, much like I want to play Batman: Arkham City, but I don't want to download some mostly useless program just like how I don't want to play Arkham City on a console if it will cost me ten bucks more.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Checklist Oct 25, 2011, 13:54 Teddy

Surf wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 09:39:
BF3 is friggin MIND BLOWING and very infantry heavy. The helicopters and particularly jets seem totally worthless and will have to be tweaked as they do jack shit in the game apparently and are very easy to blast away.

The jets really require some of their unlocks for survivability and to deal reasonable damage to ground targets. Give the players some time to get them and learn to stay high unless directly engaging and you'll start to see some real involvement from them.

19. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Checklist Oct 25, 2011, 13:49 Teddy

Surf wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 09:43:
PS - Got mine on Amazon for $50, digi download.

Can't remember the map names, some are really good, others not so much, but I blame myself because with previous BF's the hardest thing was getting used to the maps.

Karkand, which I have, was not unlocked all day yesterday, so wasn't able to play. Over time we will see which maps shine.

OH AND THERE IS A COMPASS IN THE LOWER LEFT! YEEEHAW!

Karkand and the maps from that (despite showing up on the battlelog server list filters) are not available at launch. They'll be out in about a month.

18. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Checklist Oct 25, 2011, 09:43 Surf

PS - Got mine on Amazon for $50, digi download.

Can't remember the map names, some are really good, others not so much, but I blame myself because with previous BF's the hardest thing was getting used to the maps.

Karkand, which I have, was not unlocked all day yesterday, so wasn't able to play. Over time we will see which maps shine.

OH AND THERE IS A COMPASS IN THE LOWER LEFT! YEEEHAW!

17. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Checklist Oct 25, 2011, 09:39 Surf

I too unlocked it via a Euro proxy, then reverted and surprisingly there were about 20 servers with about 10 of them having pings under 100.

Played from 1pm to 12 midnight, I know, loser, but no kids, no wife and for some fortunate reason I had that day off and my friend told me about the BF3 login bypass for early access.

Onto the micro review.

By far the best BF of them all! And I have been a loyal fan of every BF, with my favorite being BF2, then BF1942 then BC2, then BF 2142 but I hated BF Vietnam.

BF3 is friggin MIND BLOWING and very infantry heavy. The helicopters and particularly jets seem totally worthless and will have to be tweaked as they do jack shit in the game apparently and are very easy to blast away.

The troops though, WOW, play hard core, its perfect. The guns, the sound, the ENORMOUS levels, there is just no way to convey how friggin awesome this game feels like real war.

Graphics remind me of Stalker call of pripyat maxed out.

OH and my favorite: Tanks can have a top gunner as usual but the driver gets the main gun, a machine gun, smoke, and zoom ALL AT THE SAME TIME! You can swap out 3 perk slots, makes the tanks really ass kicking AND they have a boost speed by holding left shift down to make them fly over hills. They are easier to take out, but it feels balanced to me.

Bravo Dice, best BF yet by far and by January 2012 I bet it will be patched and tweaked to play perfectly.

16. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Checklist Oct 25, 2011, 09:36 JayDeath

Bhruic wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 04:09:

Definitely a step up from BC2, imo.

That's a bold statement. I'm stuck here at work! 6 hours to go!

Btw, are the new ATI drivers really necessary? I'm running the drivers prior to that release.

Steam: Henry Krinkle

Why isn't there a remake of Westworld?

15. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Checklist Oct 25, 2011, 08:46 Verno

I unlocked after work yesterday and checked it out, Dice was mostly true to their word and a lot of stuff from beta was indeed fixed. Graphically it blows away the Call of Duty games, everything from the foliage to tracers and jets whooshing by looks incredible. The game is really motion blur heavy so be sure to turn that off. HBAO is a massive performance hit for very little gain, that is a safe disable as well. The sound design is excellent, I'm not going to say much about it but it's easily the games best feature.

Vehicles are very vulnerable, almost too vulnerable even. I could barely get airborne in jets without a lock on warning. Tanks are easily disabled, you really need an engineer along for the ride. Helicopters are surprisingly the most effective I've found given their ability to go vertical behind natural/man made cover.

The ground pounding is where things happen and things are fairly well balanced. Even on Normal servers every round is potentially lethal from most weapons, in fact its pretty rare that you get tagged and survive the engagement. I'm really not a fan of how they portray incoming fire, you see some blurry lines then you're dead. It might realistic but it's kind of annoying. As expected strategic camping is the most effective tactic for Conquest. Don't touch open roads and don't move without cover if you can help it.

The campaign is surprisingly ho-hum. Typical CoD style PUSH BUTAN TO DO ACTION stuff. I only played an hour but I couldn't get into the story at all. It reminded me of a tamer Modern Warfare 2 and that's not a favorable comparison considering how much I disliked MW2. If you buy this game I would do it for the MP which is excellent. My biggest lament is the inclusion of 3-4 CoD style meatgrinder maps in the multiplayer, the open maps are the real standouts and the rest seems like a literal nod to the console kids.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

14. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Checklist Oct 25, 2011, 05:13 everyone

Bhruic wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 04:09:
But as good as BF2?

13. removed Oct 25, 2011, 04:55 yjingjing

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 25, 2011, 09:19.

12. Re: RE: Follow up Oct 25, 2011, 04:54 yuastnav

Bucky wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 01:21:
Honestly, anyone not picking it up is missing out. [...]

Okay, give me a version that does not require Origin then. I dare you.

11. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Checklist Oct 25, 2011, 04:09 Bhruic

Conquest is great, no doubt about it. I just wish they'd done a little better with their map selection. There's 3-4 really horrible "choke point" Conquest maps that are just frustrating as hell. Luckily, the open maps are good enough to overlook that.

10. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Checklist Oct 25, 2011, 03:08 KilrathiAce

As long as EA is having their battle with Valve and choose not to sell games on steam they can take that checklist and stick it up their butt. Oh and next time EA says they taking PC seriously again how about that latest Tiger Woods fiasco, just when one thought tiger woods series coming back to PC they **** all over PC users with the latest one.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

9. Re: RE: Follow up Oct 25, 2011, 02:25 lvitriol

UConnBBall wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 00:39:
Skipping due to Origins requirement. Also I am serious not buying it period. Would have been a day one purchase.

You could webcrawl for the "Wakoopa" program/community. http://social.wakoopa.com/

How is letting publishers know what games one run thereby giving them hints a bad idea, I dont get.

Other than the scanning it's exactly like Steam or have I missed something?.

more sp.

8. Re: RE: Follow up Oct 25, 2011, 01:51 Sepharo

Bucky wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 01:21:
Honestly, anyone not picking it up is missing out. I just played for an hour, and had an absolute blast. The game is seriously polished and refined beyond what the beta showed, and runs like a dream at cranked up settings.

I had played for about 10 minutes, and all I could think was "Yes." Anyone more eloquent (and less tired) than I can fill in the details, but I'd strongly suggest people on the fence go and buy it.

In the spirt of "Yes." ... This.

7. Re: RE: Follow up Oct 25, 2011, 01:21 Bucky

Honestly, anyone not picking it up is missing out. I just played for an hour, and had an absolute blast. The game is seriously polished and refined beyond what the beta showed, and runs like a dream at cranked up settings.

I had played for about 10 minutes, and all I could think was "Yes." Anyone more eloquent (and less tired) than I can fill in the details, but I'd strongly suggest people on the fence go and buy it.

6. Re: RE: Follow up Oct 25, 2011, 00:39 UConnBBall

Skipping due to Origins requirement. Also I am serious not buying it period. Would have been a day one purchase.  

5. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Checklist Oct 25, 2011, 00:22 ^mortis^

yeah, seems like a good time to check to see if your PC will run the game...post-pre-order. &#3232;_&#3232;

^m^

4. Re: oh yeah.... Oct 25, 2011, 00:21 DarkCntry

Bucky wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 23:50:
Yup, moved up to midnight release east coast. It should be interesting seeing how well their back-end handles this, considering much of the gaming population will be awake and itching to play.

I'd figure their back-end has done pretty well, considering that Battlelog has been up for quite a while and almost all the hardcore players have already unlocked the game and have been playing for several hours now.

3. Re: oh yeah.... Oct 24, 2011, 23:50 Bucky

Yup, moved up to midnight release east coast. It should be interesting seeing how well their back-end handles this, considering much of the gaming population will be awake and itching to play.  

2. Re: oh yeah.... Oct 24, 2011, 23:47 Linksil

Yea moved up to 9pm for west coast!

Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo