Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New NVIDIA Drivers

GeForce.com has the release of new WHQL-certified version 285.62 GeForce reference drivers for NVIDIA graphics cards. These include a couple of couple of bug-fixes, several new SLI and 3D Vision profiles, and a lengthy list of performance improvements over the last WHQL GeForce drivers. Here's an overview outlining improvements for RAGE, Battlefield 3, and the upcoming Windows PC edition of Batman: Arkham City:

For Battlefield 3 we’ve improved performance by up to 11% since the release of the GeForce 285.38 beta drivers, have included several compatibility enhancements, a new and improved SLI profile, and a 3D Vision profile. Similarly, Rage has received enhancements since the release of the same drivers, and Batman: Arkham City compatibility has been implemented.

As mentioned, updates contained within the earlier beta drivers have been carried over, such as the many performance improvements made to games --between the release of the 280.26 WHQL drivers and today’s 285.62 WHQL drivers-- when running on our entire range of 500-Series graphics cards.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 25, 2011, 11:24 Mashiki Amiketo

Matshock wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 23:05:
I'm running a 560 (not Ti)- I understand the 460 and 560 (non-Ti) share some common components so that may be part of it.

They all share common components, and they're all based off the same chip build. The differences between the two are pipelines, register count, and dedicated memory handler. In other words, next to nil.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 25, 2011, 04:30 peteham

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 18:01:
I don't know maybe it's me... But they state xxx game with get a % boost, why is that? I get in the past a few changes, but what are they doing to a single game to make it faster? Are they cheating? Why didn't the developer code it so it worked as smooth as other released games that already had the % boost. I think so much of this is PR blah blah, could be wrong a bit on this one.
Depends on how you define cheating? Game-specific driver optimizations, tweaks and fixes is nothing new. It may have been something of a scandal back in the quack.exe days, but now it's more or less taken for granted.

34. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 24, 2011, 23:05 Matshock

I'm running a 560 (not Ti)- I understand the 460 and 560 (non-Ti) share some common components so that may be part of it.

33. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 24, 2011, 22:30 eRe4s3r

Thats really odd then... that said.. i had the same issue with the nvidia cp, and i have like 5 dozen other issues with it. Nvidia update refuses to install. All i get from nvidia driver updates is the display driver, audio driver, and thats it. All others fail without reason. Heck the actual nvidia driver update FAILS but still installs the CP driver and all thats needed.

Yes, including stuff that is NOT INSTALLED - like Nvidia update and Update Components (those fail as well). The weird thing is, it works fine everywhere else on my machines, just not on this one. And they are identical in both OS and hardware.

32. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 24, 2011, 21:14 Mashiki Amiketo

Bludd wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 20:49:
I have a GTX 285, so less capable hardware can't be the problem. Sounds like there's an issue specific to GTX 460s and AMD CPUs.
Yeah. Except if you look at the nvidia threads especially the TDR thread, you'll find it runs though all 400 and 500 series cards and across all manufactures, and all CPU and motherboard configurations. The train of thought on it relates to the GPU/ref. card having a lower 2d/3d voltage and the drivers calling for a higher voltage than what is stock.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

31. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 24, 2011, 21:04 effbee

I'm running AMD Phenom II X4 and a GTX 460 on Win7 x64 and have not had any problems at all with any drivers.  

30. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 24, 2011, 20:49 Bludd

I have a GTX 285, so less capable hardware can't be the problem. Sounds like there's an issue specific to GTX 460s and AMD CPUs.  

29. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 24, 2011, 19:59 space captain

sounds like windows isnt happy with what those drivers are making that less capable hardware do... it probably makes them operate outside of windows "acceptable" range regarding processing/resources for DX handles and so forth  
Go forth, and kill!

28. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 24, 2011, 19:49 Mashiki Amiketo

Matshock wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 17:49:
I'll wait to see if anyone else reports the same problem before I go worrying about a CPU that a multitude of other people have.
For what it's worth, I have 3 identical machines all with CPU's(AMD 965 x4), memory(g.skill eco in double paired sets for 8gb in all machines) and mobo(M4A87TD/USB3) sequences in order. 2 of these 3 machines all refuse to launch the CP for these nvidia drivers with a DEP error. My gaming machine it works fine. Though it launches very slowly.

The difference between the 3 machines is, my gaming rig boots off a SSD, all the others boot off HDD's. They also have different video cards, the two "derp's" use 460's this one uses a 560ti. Something is funky somewhere. Then again, all 3 machines had the firefox/palemoon driver restart problem.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

27. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 24, 2011, 18:52 Agent.X7

Are these the drivers that make Rage not look like shit indoors? No? Oh well.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

26. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 24, 2011, 18:01 HorrorScope

I don't know maybe it's me... But they state xxx game with get a % boost, why is that? I get in the past a few changes, but what are they doing to a single game to make it faster? Are they cheating? Why didn't the developer code it so it worked as smooth as other released games that already had the % boost. I think so much of this is PR blah blah, could be wrong a bit on this one.  

25. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 24, 2011, 17:56 Bludd

You'd be surprised. The old control panel may have been compiled differently than the new one.

If you have a good motherboard, updating the BIOS is hassle-free. Whatever, do what you want.

24. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 24, 2011, 17:49 Matshock

Bludd wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 17:44:
Matshock wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 17:40:
Bludd wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 17:35:
Matshock wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 17:32:
All downloads direct from Nvidia. If it's a virus then it that is the only thing it is doing.

280.xx didn't do this. The 285 betas did so I went back to 280 and it stopped doing it again.

Now the 285 WHQL does it...that's about the only pattern I'm seeing.
What's the rest of your system then?

I have never seen DEP do anything against any geforce driver and I almost always go for the latest beta.

Windows Vista etc. etc.

And it's not the driver in and of it self it's the NV control panel software that is getting shut down. But only when with the 285 driver.

It was the etc. etc. I wanted to know. Are you using an AMD CPU? Is your BIOS version old? If yes to both, update your BIOS and see if that helps.

Na, now we're just throwing out generalities. 280= no problem 285=problem, it's just that simple.

285 WHQLs released 24 hours prior to the AAA title they are designed to support?

Rushed release I say.

I'll wait to see if anyone else reports the same problem before I go worrying about a CPU that a multitude of other people have.

23. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 24, 2011, 17:44 Bludd

Matshock wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 17:40:
All downloads direct from Nvidia. If it's a virus then it that is the only thing it is doing.

280.xx didn't do this. The 285 betas did so I went back to 280 and it stopped doing it again.

I have never seen DEP do anything against any geforce driver and I almost always go for the latest beta.

Windows Vista etc. etc.

And it's not the driver in and of it self it's the NV control panel software that is getting shut down. But only when with the 285 driver.

It was the etc. etc. I wanted to know. Are you using an AMD CPU? Is your BIOS version old? If yes to both, update your BIOS and see if that helps.

22. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 24, 2011, 17:41 Matshock

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 17:39:
DEP can activate when AV or other stuff accesses memory you know... Heck something could be "hijacking" the driver authorization thingy of 64bit windows and that triggers the DEP crash when the CP accesses it.

Or then again, it just might be corruption somewhere... DEP is impossible to diagnose.. if it crashes with a DEP exception chances are without DEP it'd literally blue-screen because of illegal memory access

Nope, running without DEP now. Nvidia CP launched and worked flawlessly.

21. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 24, 2011, 17:40 Matshock

Windows Vista etc. etc.

20. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 24, 2011, 17:39 eRe4s3r

DEP can activate when AV or other stuff accesses memory you know... Heck something could be "hijacking" the driver authorization thingy of 64bit windows and that triggers the DEP crash when the CP accesses it.

Or then again, it just might be corruption somewhere... DEP is impossible to diagnose.. if it crashes with a DEP exception chances are without DEP it'd literally blue-screen because of illegal memory access

19. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 24, 2011, 17:35 Bludd

18. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 24, 2011, 17:32 Matshock

Bludd wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 17:28:
Matshock wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 17:21:
OK, disabling DEP got the CP back up and running. Microsoft security software shutting down a MS-certified driver CP; I am outraged OUTRAGED!

...or I should be but dumbass has been the new smart for so long now.
What are your DEP settings? It should only be on for essential Windows programs and services.

If it is on that when DEP complained you could have a corrupt install/donwload or you could even have some malware or a virus.

17. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 24, 2011, 17:28 Bludd

Matshock wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 17:21:
OK, disabling DEP got the CP back up and running. Microsoft security software shutting down a MS-certified driver CP; I am outraged OUTRAGED!

...or I should be but dumbass has been the new smart for so long now.
What are your DEP settings? It should only be on for essential Windows programs and services.

If it is on that when DEP complained you could have a corrupt install/donwload or you could even have some malware or a virus.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo