Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Reviews

With Battlefield 3 due in North American stores tomorrow, reviews for DICE's military shooter sequel are starting to appear. Computer and Video Games quotes DICE's Patrick Bach saying: "It's always hard when you start a project to set the targets for quality, but that's kind of the only target you can set. That's a Metascore." So far, so good on that front, as the game's Metacritic score currently stands at 93. There are evaluations of the game on 1UP, AusGamers, BigPond GameArena, Computer and Video Games, GameInformer, Gamereactor Sverige (in Swedish), GameSpy, GameStar.de (in German), GameTrailers, IGN, and Joystiq.

View
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

96. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 30, 2011, 21:37 durandal

Stop being rational!
People need to hate around here.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

95. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 25, 2011, 14:35 Krovven

KilrathiAce wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 12:52:
and now EA games are not there.

Only 2 games have been removed from Steam due to this, which is Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2. That was because EA made an exclusive deal with someone else for the DLC distribution for Crysis 2 and DA2 was setup to sell DLC directly in-game cutting out Steam.

BF3 is not being sold on Steam but on other services because Valve's new rules are that DLC must be sold via Steam if your game is on Steam. They don't care if it's sold elsewhere, but they don't want the publishers circumventing Steam while having Steam host the main game.

If they did not have these rules in place, all the Free To Play/Microtransaction games they have added would never have to give Valve anything.

Steam will not suffer because a few games won't be on Steam. Only people that suffer are those saying they wont buy games if they arent on Steam...while on the other hand saying Steam needs competition and shouldn't dominate the industry.

94. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 25, 2011, 12:52 KilrathiAce

eunichron wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 05:58:
KilrathiAce wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 03:13:
Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 00:46:
Nope, it's Origin or nothing. It's not awful, but I prefer Steam.

Origin is not why this game is not sold on steam. Reason is EA battle with Valve. There are plenty of games on steam that require 3rd party account or drm and so BF3 could be sold on steam easily and require origin on top of it. If its something EA don't agree on with Valve rules then why dont EA take all their games off steam? Make a statement. Otherwise EA needs to stop blaming Valve and admit to their own agenda.

They already admitted their own agenda. Several months ago they stated the reason for expanding Origin (EA Downloader, now Origin, has been around almost as long as Steam) was because of Valve forcing publishers to sell DLC through Steam rather than allowing them to sell it directly through in-game interfaces. Of course EA could sell the game and future DLC on Steam while still requiring Origin, but why not take advantage of the opportunity to promote their own service with a AAA title? The Origin vs. Steam debate isn't a question of good guy vs. bad guy, it's about marketing and competition, which is perfectly fine.

It's not fine, because steam is quite awesome for periodical and holiday sales, and now EA games are not there. Quite terrible, and if I was Valve I would think twice about this. Game is sold on all other online distributors but steam. Huge letdown for Valve, and in future a killer.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

93. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 25, 2011, 05:58 eunichron

Origin is not why this game is not sold on steam. Reason is EA battle with Valve. There are plenty of games on steam that require 3rd party account or drm and so BF3 could be sold on steam easily and require origin on top of it. If its something EA don't agree on with Valve rules then why dont EA take all their games off steam? Make a statement. Otherwise EA needs to stop blaming Valve and admit to their own agenda.

They already admitted their own agenda. Several months ago they stated the reason for expanding Origin (EA Downloader, now Origin, has been around almost as long as Steam) was because of Valve forcing publishers to sell DLC through Steam rather than allowing them to sell it directly through in-game interfaces. Of course EA could sell the game and future DLC on Steam while still requiring Origin, but why not take advantage of the opportunity to promote their own service with a AAA title? The Origin vs. Steam debate isn't a question of good guy vs. bad guy, it's about marketing and competition, which is perfectly fine.

92. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 25, 2011, 04:07 Agent.X7

Never said it was. Just stating that you need Origin to play.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

91. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 25, 2011, 03:13 KilrathiAce

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

90. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 25, 2011, 01:12 DV

Awesome game. I just put about an hour of playing conquest. Just blown away how much fun it was playing. Time to hit the sack.  

89. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 25, 2011, 01:06 Sepharo

Just played about 5 maps of Conquest 64.

Very fun and beeeauutiful.

88. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 25, 2011, 00:55 Paranoid Jack

Origin = "Sorry, Something technical went wrong

We're going to sort it out and have things back to normal really soon.

Try going back or Home"

87. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 25, 2011, 00:46 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

86. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 23:58 tuddies

Teddy wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 19:28:
Like hell is had a pressing urgency. All they did with that was have the guys yell at you when you didn't move.

HAHA!! When I first played Black Ops, I just crawled on the ground and polished the shoes of all of the enemies. Not once did they notice or even try to kill the BLACK OPS who was acting as a shoe shine boy instead of following the corridor-console rail gun level design! TOO FUNNY!

I don't know if this would work in real life, though.

85. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 23:53 tuddies

do you have to load origin to play BF3? Please tell me it isn't true...

is there a LAN option or the ability to play with bots?

84. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 23:48 Bucky

So now it's telling me it'll go live at midnight. And I just got home. I may not sleep tonight....  

83. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 22:44 Teddy

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 20:52:
Again, my gripe with the mission was that it was on rails, period. Call of Duty does aircraft on rails, but Battlefield is known for letting players fly them, so why stoop to that level? I can only guess they figured it'd be too complex for the average console player. That the entire campaign seemed to have been designed with that mindset is the reason I probably won't ever be replaying it, same as Bad Company 2's. Bring on the multiplayer!

Because in flying a strike aircraft (generally 2 seater) which is what was used in that mission, the pilot ONLY flies. If they'd done that, you'd be complaining that all you get to do is fly around and not shoot anything.

They could have had a flight mission in a fighter where it's pure air to air and then you'd be able to do both, but they decided to show closer to what actually happens. If you're the WSO, and you're on a mission... LIFE is on rails for you. You go where the pilot flies you and do your own job.

82. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 22:16 Creston

Sphinx wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 18:25:
Okay from within Origin do this
1. Click on the MY GAMES tab
2. Click on the gear in the right hand top corner
3. Select Settings
4. On the General tab are two settings:
-- Downloaded Games -- change where your downloaded games go
-- Select where you want to store your game installers. You can change that too.

Thank you, good sir.

Probably won't ever need it... well, I guess maybe for ME3.

Edit : And got hit with another wonderful bit of EA'ness. Got an email to remind me that if I wanted to play Battlefield 3, I NEED Origin, so I had better get to downloading! I've never shown an interest in BF3, but apparently since I have Origin installed, this must automatically mean that I am absolutely dying for BF3.

Peculiar that I got this email, since I practically hammered the "DO NOT SEND ME YOUR EMAIL JUNK" radio button to death when I created my EA account.

And then there was a little note at the bottom. "If you have opted out of EA email marketing, this will be the only email you will receive."

Ah, well, thank you, EA. It's mighty kind of you to just make this ONE exception to my request that you don't bother me with your inane marketing. Rolleyes

Creston

81. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 21:58 Bhruic

Hmm, looks like they didn't wipe the stats afterall... But now the servers are acting up. Not exactly a smooth launch - although, in their favor, it is unlocked early.  

80. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 21:44 ColoradoHoudini

Just bought a new machine for this game and a few others..hope this is something worth playing!  

79. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 21:20 Bhruic

Sadly, when they downed all the servers to allow for global activations, they also killed all the stats (mine got wiped, anyway). Luckily I hadn't played that much MP. But damn I love the big 64player maps!  

78. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 20:55 Sepharo

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 15:24:
But if you have access to a VPN service, get yourself an Asian IP address to pass the release date check now. I've been playing since 8AM.

A billion thanks to you sir. And here's some insanely easy instructions that got it working for me.

I'm a "computer guy" but proxying isn't something I ever have a need to do so I was hazy on how easy it apparently is.

77. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 20:52 jacobvandy

Again, my gripe with the mission was that it was on rails, period. Call of Duty does aircraft on rails, but Battlefield is known for letting players fly them, so why stoop to that level? I can only guess they figured it'd be too complex for the average console player. That the entire campaign seemed to have been designed with that mindset is the reason I probably won't ever be replaying it, same as Bad Company 2's. Bring on the multiplayer!  

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo