Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Reviews

With Battlefield 3 due in North American stores tomorrow, reviews for DICE's military shooter sequel are starting to appear. Computer and Video Games quotes DICE's Patrick Bach saying: "It's always hard when you start a project to set the targets for quality, but that's kind of the only target you can set. That's a Metascore." So far, so good on that front, as the game's Metacritic score currently stands at 93. There are evaluations of the game on 1UP, AusGamers, BigPond GameArena, Computer and Video Games, GameInformer, Gamereactor Sverige (in Swedish), GameSpy, GameStar.de (in German), GameTrailers, IGN, and Joystiq.

View
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

36. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 14:39 Krovven

Tumbler wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 12:49:
Edit: I'm shocked that reviews are harping on the SP like it's not "good".

Pretty sure reviewers didn't like BC2 single player either, and I felt it was better than any of the CoD SP campaigns.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 14:37 Krovven

entr0py wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 12:25:

The fact that EA was screening favorable reviewers...

So you read the first story, but you didn't bother reading any of the followups? Was a fake story that clearly succeeded in trolling the gullible.

34. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 14:32 Bucky

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 14:09:
Put differently, people forgave Steam for its various bumblings and oddities over the years because there was nothing else. EA had an existing standard to meet which I would argue they didn't do much to even try hitting.

I can understand that. Right now I'm giving Origin passing marks for the same reason I dealt with Steam years ago: the game it contains is worth overlooking the minor issues. With BF3 exposing the system to a much larger audience I expect them to improve rapidly, if not, then I'll hate Origin just as much as everyone else.

The release date check tells me it'll unlock at 03:00 ET. Does anyone know if they're using a 12 or 24 clock? I'd hate to have to go to work in the afternoon right as the game is unlocking...

33. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 14:30 saluk

1up did compare sp to modern warfare, but also to the bad company games, saying it wasn't quite as good. So it wasn't a case of letting MW off the hook and putting down BF3. Also, most reviewers are probably not going to focus on whether the game is worth a purchase for a sp gamer, as everyone is most interested in the mp. I'm a bit disappointed, I'd love to see one of these military games hit a sp homerun for once. And the fact that other than graphics and unlocks, there doesn't seem to be any innovation in the mp game, is a bit disappointing as well.

Still, it's a likely purchase for me after a price drop/sale.

32. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 14:26 jacobvandy

The jet level sucks because you aren't flying. You assume the role of the pilot, but it just floats along on a rail with you popping flares or firing guns and missiles as needed. It's so boring because more than half the time is just waiting for the the enemies to decide to fly in front of you rather than behind.

At least later on you have no illusions of piloting, switching over to the ground camera and laser-guiding bombs to a few AA sites and enemy jets trying to take off. That was better, but still pretty dull compared to the free reign and dozens upon dozens of targets you're given during the AC-130 gunner segments of Call of Duty games.

31. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 14:11 McJammiepants

Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 13:34:
A 93 on Metacritic, a week after it's revealed that EA is (allegedly) making sure that sites that get a copy are sites that are slobbering all over Battlefield 3 prematurely.

Somehow I'm not really all that surprised at the cherry-picked score.

As for Origin, I was forced to use it this weekend to re-download the one game I own on Origin, which is DLC for Mass Effect. I was fully expecting to be told that I own nothing, but miraculously, Origin actually acknowledges that I own this game.

Click on download, am told that the 250MB DLC will require 500MB in disk space, but will go down to 250MB afterwards. I'm given no control over WHERE to download this, and Origin apparently happily plunks it on my solid state boot drive, which isn't where I want it, but okay.

At 63% or so into the download, Origin says that "An unexpected error has occurred. We're sorry! Please exit out of Origin, start it up again, and start the download again!"

I exit out of Origin, start it up again, and lo and behold, I get to redownload the entire DLC, because in the year 2011, EA has still apparently never heard of the concept of BEING ABLE TO CONTINUE YOUR FUCKING DOWNLOAD. You know, like the internet has been able to do since the year 19fucking97.

Fuck Origin.

Creston

Under settings, there are options to choose where Origin installs your games. It doesn't prompt you for each game, but like Steam, you can direct it to a specific location for all games.

30. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 14:10 Bludd

Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 13:34:
Click on download, am told that the 250MB DLC will require 500MB in disk space, but will go down to 250MB afterwards. I'm given no control over WHERE to download this, and Origin apparently happily plunks it on my solid state boot drive, which isn't where I want it, but okay.
You can change download cache location in Origin settings. You must hate Origin so much you can't even check the settings before ranting.

29. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 14:09 Verno

Every service has it's problems. I've had a duplicate listing of CivIV+expansions in Steam for so long that I created a separate category just so I wouldn't have to look at them. Steam also does not provide a good notification of platform updates. I've had my internet go down, restart the computer, and then find out I can't even enter offline mode because Steam needs to be updated.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Steam is superior to Origin, but lets not forget Steam had a rocky start too. Remember how long it took for the friends system to actually function?

For sure Bucky, I remember Steam Friends literally did not for function for almost two years. It got to the point of being a running joke. I just think that we measure by a different bar these days is all and this is pretty basic stuff. I'm not sure "almost not as bad as Steam when it launched" is a modern selling point that EA necessarily wants to known by

Put differently, people forgave Steam for its various bumblings and oddities over the years because there was nothing else. EA had an existing standard to meet which I would argue they didn't do much to even try hitting.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2011, 14:23.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

28. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 14:03 Bucky

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 13:40:
I can't even remove some games from my Origin list. It just arbitrarily decides what stays and what I'm allowed to remove. BF3 Alpha? Stays no matter what. BF3 beta? Can be removed. Dead Space 2? Ok you can remove that. I guess I am expecting too much from what is basically a QT based EADM reskin.

Every service has it's problems. I've had a duplicate listing of CivIV+expansions in Steam for so long that I created a separate category just so I wouldn't have to look at them. Steam also does not provide a good notification of platform updates. I've had my internet go down, restart the computer, and then find out I can't even enter offline mode because Steam needs to be updated.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Steam is superior to Origin, but lets not forget Steam had a rocky start too. Remember how long it took for the friends system to actually function?

27. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 13:51 xXBatmanXx

ASeven wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 12:03:
Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 10:21:
What bugs ASeven? Dice spent the past month basically replying that the vast majority of beta stuff was fixed already so that's disappointing if true.

Well, the graphic clippings, being able to go below ground, all is still there, in the review copies. Like SpaceCaptain said though, there is supposed to be a huge (I heard it was 5GBs) day-1 patch to fix a lot of stuff.

So in this new game they didn't fix how they patch? Isn't this a new engine? What morons....

So glad I am skipping this garbage. There are so many quality games to play, there is no reason to give them any money.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

26. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 13:43 Beamer

And while I agree the CoD story is incoherent garbage, it at least has a pressing urgency. That's really the only thing it communicates well.

But the two or three reviews I skimmed didn't drool over CoD, just said this tries very hard to be CoD and fails miserably by having the same flaws and new ones.

No big surprise. MW does set pieces and urgency well. It does infinite spawning and story cohesion poorly.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 13:40 Verno

I didn't have high hopes for the campaign as that's never been DICE's strong suit but yeah, that it gets slammed while the CoD Modern Warfare campaigns get high praise show the double standards reviewers have

I'm curious, why exactly? I haven't played the BF3 campaign but I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to judge them based on their own merits. How are reviews being unfair to the SP?

I exit out of Origin, start it up again, and lo and behold, I get to redownload the entire DLC, because in the year 2011, EA has still apparently never heard of the concept of BEING ABLE TO CONTINUE YOUR FUCKING DOWNLOAD. You know, like the internet has been able to do since the year 19fucking97.

I can't even remove some games from my Origin list. It just arbitrarily decides what stays and what I'm allowed to remove. BF3 Alpha? Stays no matter what. BF3 beta? Can be removed. Dead Space 2? Ok you can remove that. I guess I am expecting too much from what is basically a QT based EADM reskin.

24. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 13:34 Creston

A 93 on Metacritic, a week after it's revealed that EA is (allegedly) making sure that sites that get a copy are sites that are slobbering all over Battlefield 3 prematurely.

Somehow I'm not really all that surprised at the cherry-picked score.

As for Origin, I was forced to use it this weekend to re-download the one game I own on Origin, which is DLC for Mass Effect. I was fully expecting to be told that I own nothing, but miraculously, Origin actually acknowledges that I own this game.

At 63% or so into the download, Origin says that "An unexpected error has occurred. We're sorry! Please exit out of Origin, start it up again, and start the download again!"

Fuck Origin.

Creston

23. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 13:13 Parallax Abstraction

I didn't have high hopes for the campaign as that's never been DICE's strong suit but yeah, that it gets slammed while the CoD Modern Warfare campaigns get high praise show the double standards reviewers have. Aside from being Michael Bay-like drivel, the MW2 No Russian missions was one of the most arrogant, pretentious attempts I've seen to inject meaningful, emotional storytelling into what was a total top-down dudebro story. No one's really buying this for the campaign anyway but yeah, knocking that story and praising MW's screams of wrong things.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

22. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 13:02 Bludd

Lol to people saying "it's not on steam so I'm not getting it".

Fuck steam, fuck origin, use it and then shut it down when you aren't. It is not a religion, people!

21. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 12:58 Verno

KilrathiAce wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 12:54:
I don't see it available on steam, if it wasnt for reading bluesnews I wouldnt even know its coming out. Maybe one day it will be on steam until then plenty of other games to play.

Just an aside but we went to Best Buy on the weekend and there was literally a massive BF3 banner on the store. I mean like it spanned the whole front of the store near the roof. If nothing else EA is going all out with the marketing.

20. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 12:54 KilrathiAce

I don't see it available on steam, if it wasnt for reading bluesnews I wouldnt even know its coming out. Maybe one day it will be on steam until then plenty of other games to play.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

19. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 12:49 Tumbler

This youtube channel shows some outstanding video of gameplay. It's a walkthrough starting from the beginning and the SP side of this game looks like something people are going to love. HD quality, definitely worth the watch...but be warned, it will spoil the game for you. There are 11 parts so if you're definitely waiting on the game maybe you don't care, but if you're going to buy this tommorrow then probably don't watch this:

SPOILERS

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMediaCows#p/u/13/jrM7eQPXbNs

SPOILERS

I'm wondering if I'll even play the SP side after watching these video's. I highly recommend watching part 4 if nothing else. It's the (first?) jet mission and it's amazing.

Edit: I'm shocked that reviews are harping on the SP like it's not "good". It's as good as all the CoD stuff we see each year and people obviously love that so I would expect that a lot of CoD players will be happy to play through BF3. The graphics certainly bitch slap CoD across the face. It's literally the same formula that CoD uses with a fresh coat of paint. What's not to love about that airstrike mission?

Judged on it's own I can't see how the SP side isn't going to run circles around MW3's SP campaign. DICE seemed to be aiming for a better CoD experience since E3 and this looks to be exactly that...

Reviewers are weird...

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2011, 12:58.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

18. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 12:30 Verno

Techie714 wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 12:20:
O..M..G! A 5GB PATCH??? That has to be the biggest patch ever..LOL!! If that is true.

Well I assume they don't delta patch, BC2 had several 2GB+ sized patches too IIRC. I remember them saying in an interview they had changed the way they packed files so they could delta patch from now on but I guess that didn't pan out.

I don't really care about the SP myself, the most important thing is how buggy the MP is or not.

17. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 12:25 entr0py

The fact that EA was screening favorable reviewers sort of puts a damper on any metascore that comes from selectively distributed early review copies alone. But you've got to assume that the same is true of every major release.

I'll be interested to see how much the score drops a week from now. Though I still expect it to be good.

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo