Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Reviews

With Battlefield 3 due in North American stores tomorrow, reviews for DICE's military shooter sequel are starting to appear. Computer and Video Games quotes DICE's Patrick Bach saying: "It's always hard when you start a project to set the targets for quality, but that's kind of the only target you can set. That's a Metascore." So far, so good on that front, as the game's Metacritic score currently stands at 93. There are evaluations of the game on 1UP, AusGamers, BigPond GameArena, Computer and Video Games, GameInformer, Gamereactor Sverige (in Swedish), GameSpy, GameStar.de (in German), GameTrailers, IGN, and Joystiq.

View
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

56. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 17:12 LittleMe

Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 13:34:
A 93 on Metacritic, a week after it's revealed that EA is (allegedly) making sure that sites that get a copy are sites that are slobbering all over Battlefield 3 prematurely.

Somehow I'm not really all that surprised at the cherry-picked score.

If the reviews are not liking the SP campaign then how does this equal cherry picking of reviews? There was no proof provided for these allegations.

Perpetual debt is slavery.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 16:41 jacobvandy

Unfortunately, it's been mostly disappointments like the jet level, where I was expecting much more. Like when you're handed the mortar in Operation Guillotine, carry it running down a hill with explosions going off all around you, then finally place it at the bottom... Your ally uses it to launch one of those green illumination flares, but then you're told to get moving over the wall to join the infantry assault. No bombarding enemies with the mortar or anything like that.

Granted, I don't think I've reached the halfway point yet. It's been mostly stuff we've seen already in trailers or previews, so I knew the cool stuff (like destroying a building facade to take out a sniper or ordering an air strike from within the tank to knock out artillery) was coming. Otherwise just a bunch of generic shootouts, chasing your squad mates down alleys and hallways, stopping at a door and someone kicking it in, getting into QTE fist-fights, etc. I've already been through at least one area where the enemies respawn endlessly... You're apparently not supposed to shoot at them because it just draws their attention to you.

I did get to use a javelin on a few tanks! Pretty close range, so it didn't do the thing where it flies straight up in the air and comes down on it, though. I hope that's in multiplayer.

54. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 16:13 Verno

Given that you're playing it and he hasn't we're more inclined to hear what your comments are on it. How is the rest of the SP so far? Any standout moments?

edit: haha holy shit.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2011, 16:19.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

53. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 16:09 jacobvandy

Krovven wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 15:51:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 15:14:
Have you played it yet? If not, why pretend you know any better?

Way to fail to see the point. You are selecting 1 moment of BF3 and comparing it to 1 moment in a CoD that is way over-done and not a lot of fun. You referred to the CoD gameplay as "free-reign" which is not even remotely accurate.

This discussion came up before when someone complained about the long time you sat there doing nothing while the tanks rolled in across the desert.

It's called pacing. Something the MTV + ADD generation is increasingly losing sight of.

Not everything needs to be in your face all the time. This is where CoD fails miserably at story and gameplay pacing. BC2 single player pacing was good, I expect more of the same of BF3. But what Im reading is that reviewers are comparing BF3 single player to CoD gameplay as if that is the defacto standard of greatness, and stating BF3 doesn't hold up to that. Sounds like a good thing to me.

With that said, I don't have massive hopes for BF3 to be an amazing game single player campaign, but I do expect it will be an amazing experience. If not, there is always Uncharted 3 next week for the amazing single player game experience.

And you managed to focus on an afterthought to my main point, which was that BF3 made the bone-headed decision to put you in a pilot's seat and then lock the flight on rails. I don't mind pacing (though it's dumb to have it just for the sake of drawing things out), I just think it's stupid for them to forego an opportunity for an actual dogfighting sequence. They're obviously capable of providing a decent one since larger MP maps feature player-flown jets, hell they even implied with the trailers that you'd be flying in the campaign. I was shocked when I couldn't take control, especially after I was forced to wiggle the flaps and slats (whatever they're called) before take-off.

52. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 16:01 Verno

Fair enough Para. I thought Modern Warfare had an excellent singleplayer campaign for the record, certainly heads and tails above any BF efforts so far. The second game was the one where it felt like they were just retreading older set pieces and trying to up the stakes in really artificial ways. I can't even remember the Black Ops SP, maybe I didn't play it at all who knows.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

51. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 15:56 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 13:40:
I'm curious, why exactly? I haven't played the BF3 campaign but I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to judge them based on their own merits. How are reviews being unfair to the SP?

My opinion of course but basically because I don't see how campaign stories can get much worse than the Modern Warfare franchise. My problem isn't necessarily that they're saying the BF3 story is bad. It may very well be. From what I've seen, it's another generic Michael Bay style "crazy foreign (i.e. non-American) dude wants to take over the world". Problem is, that's the same garbage that MW games had and they were praised in many reviews for their stories. My complaint comes not from thinking BF3 should be rated higher but wondering why the MW tripe was rated so high.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

50. Re: well.... Oct 24, 2011, 15:54 Krovven

Shataan wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 15:49:
However the Reviews are stating quite a few been there done thats.

Give it two weeks, the same reviewers will be fawning over MW3 even though it will have the exact same gameplay and offer nothing new.

49. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 15:51 Krovven

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 15:14:

Way to fail to see the point. You are selecting 1 moment of BF3 and comparing it to 1 moment in a CoD that is way over-done and not a lot of fun. You referred to the CoD gameplay as "free-reign" which is not even remotely accurate.

This discussion came up before when someone complained about the long time you sat there doing nothing while the tanks rolled in across the desert.

It's called pacing. Something the MTV + ADD generation is increasingly losing sight of.

Not everything needs to be in your face all the time. This is where CoD fails miserably at story and gameplay pacing. BC2 single player pacing was good, I expect more of the same of BF3. But what Im reading is that reviewers are comparing BF3 single player to CoD gameplay as if that is the defacto standard of greatness, and stating BF3 doesn't hold up to that. Sounds like a good thing to me.

With that said, I don't have massive hopes for BF3 to be an amazing game single player campaign, but I do expect it will be an amazing experience. If not, there is always Uncharted 3 next week for the amazing single player game experience.

48. well.... Oct 24, 2011, 15:49 Shataan

"Name the game that has better gameplay."

I will prolly be ok with BF 3s onrail stuff. But you gotta admit, game devs are relying way too much on cookie cutter game design now. Alot of how they are scripting has been done many times before.

This WILL come back to bite em on the azz. It already is by the sounds of it. Let`s put it this way. After I have played BF 3, I don`t want to see it repackaged again in BF 4. However the Reviews are stating quite a few been there done thats.

I guess if the majority don`t mind paying for the same game, but with new skins....... *shrugs* Good thing there are at least some new visuals elements, and motion etc... in BF 3.

47. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 15:31 entr0py

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 15:24:
Bucky wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 14:32:
The release date check tells me it'll unlock at 03:00 ET. Does anyone know if they're using a 12 or 24 clock? I'd hate to have to go to work in the afternoon right as the game is unlocking...

24-hour clock; it unlocks at midnight PST. But if you have access to a VPN service, get yourself an Asian IP address to pass the release date check now. I've been playing since 8AM.

Thanks man. I used to know that, but somehow I forgot about the proxy trick for release date checks. Awesome.

46. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 15:24 jacobvandy

Bucky wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 14:32:
The release date check tells me it'll unlock at 03:00 ET. Does anyone know if they're using a 12 or 24 clock? I'd hate to have to go to work in the afternoon right as the game is unlocking...

24-hour clock; it unlocks at midnight PST. But if you have access to a VPN service, get yourself an Asian IP address to pass the release date check now. I've been playing since 8AM.

45. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 15:22 Creston

Sphinx wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 15:17:
Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 15:13:
Which it does once it gets to the install part. However, for the download part, it just goes straight to C, and I can't find if and where you can change that.

Creston

Creston:
Had the same inquiry when I downloaded the BF3 beta and Mass Effect 2 via Origin since I didn't want them on my SSD either. There was a way to change the download location and install path for Origin but I can't recall right now where it is. I'll look tonight and post here. Probably be a few hours.

Thanks.

Creston

44. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 15:17 Sphinx

Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 15:13:
Which it does once it gets to the install part. However, for the download part, it just goes straight to C, and I can't find if and where you can change that.

Creston

Creston:
Had the same inquiry when I downloaded the BF3 beta and Mass Effect 2 via Origin since I didn't want them on my SSD either. There was a way to change the download location and install path for Origin but I can't recall right now where it is. I'll look tonight and post here. Probably be a few hours.

-Sphinx

43. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 15:14 jacobvandy

Krovven wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 14:49:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 14:26:
That was better, but still pretty dull compared to the free reign and dozens upon dozens of targets you're given during the AC-130 gunner segments of Call of Duty games

I'm sorry, but "the free reign...during...segments of CoD"? So the dozens of times in CoD games where you are fixed to a vehicles turret and while the game drives for you is different how exactly?

Someone drank the kool-aid this morning.

As I said, the AC-130 gunner parts of COD are a lot more fun because you have total control over an array of three different weapons that you can fire at lots of targets as much as you want. In the jet level of BF3, you get to sit there and look at clouds while you wait for 1-2 enemy jets at a time to meander in front of you so you can lock on and fire a missile. Then you switch over to an infrared ground camera and guide one bomb every 10-15 seconds and there are only a handful of targets for you to take out one at a time. It's BORING. If a game is going to put me into an on-rails shooter segment, I expect to have shit to do while I'm there.

42. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 15:13 Creston

McJammiepants wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 14:11:
Under settings, there are options to choose where Origin installs your games. It doesn't prompt you for each game, but like Steam, you can direct it to a specific location for all games.

Thanks, but I know those. Since this is DLC, I would imagine that it would just download into the same folder that I already have the actual game installed. That merely seems logical.

Creston

41. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 14:52 Prez

Sad to say that BF3 is going to be a pass for me. I suck at MP and I'm not really liking Origin at all.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

40. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 14:50 JayDeath

Unimaginative? Name the game that has better gameplay. The only prob with BC2 is that there aren't enough maps.  
Steam: BenRichards

Shadow of Mordor is wonderful.

39. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 14:49 Krovven

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 14:26:
That was better, but still pretty dull compared to the free reign and dozens upon dozens of targets you're given during the AC-130 gunner segments of Call of Duty games

I'm sorry, but "the free reign...during...segments of CoD"? So the dozens of times in CoD games where you are fixed to a vehicles turret and while the game drives for you is different how exactly?

Someone drank the kool-aid this morning.

38. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 14:45 Krovven

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 14:09:
BF3 Alpha? Stays no matter what.

Lol, I got rid of the BF3 Alpha, but I can't get rid of the Beta. Unisntalled, folders deleted...but yea can't get rid of it in Origin.

37. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 14:41 Krovven

Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 13:34:
A 93 on Metacritic, a week after it's revealed that EA is (allegedly) making sure that sites that get a copy are sites that are slobbering all over Battlefield 3 prematurely.

Somehow I'm not really all that surprised at the cherry-picked score.

How do you feel about readers (like yourself) that cherry-pick stories?

I'm given no control over WHERE to download this

Actually you are. Maybe check the settings like a PC user that isn't incompetent.

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo