Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Reviews

With Battlefield 3 due in North American stores tomorrow, reviews for DICE's military shooter sequel are starting to appear. Computer and Video Games quotes DICE's Patrick Bach saying: "It's always hard when you start a project to set the targets for quality, but that's kind of the only target you can set. That's a Metascore." So far, so good on that front, as the game's Metacritic score currently stands at 93. There are evaluations of the game on 1UP, AusGamers, BigPond GameArena, Computer and Video Games, GameInformer, Gamereactor Sverige (in Swedish), GameSpy, GameStar.de (in German), GameTrailers, IGN, and Joystiq.

View
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

76. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 20:19 Paranoid Jack

I bought BF3 on Origin (before it was called Origin) for $39.95 with a special coupon code they sent me. I know I'll get my money's worth if or when it's finally release. No worries there. I know it will have issues all of the BF games have had bugs. I know I'll both love it and hate it to some degree. Been there done that with the previous games.

What I'm trying to figure out but I haven't had time to research it much yet... I received an e-mail today telling me it is released as of today on Origin. But when I try to boot the game the release date checker still says tomorrow is the release date. Has anyone else got this e-mail and if so were you able to boot the game and play it?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

75. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 20:06 [VG]Reagle

I am skipping this POS and waiting for MW3 to come out. At least MW3 will have good hit detection...  

The First Newell
Gabe's Watching
[VG]Reagle Beagle

74. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 20:03 Teddy

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 19:49:
Teddy wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 19:31:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 14:26:
The jet level sucks because you aren't flying. You assume the role of the pilot, but it just floats along on a rail with you popping flares or firing guns and missiles as needed. It's so boring because more than half the time is just waiting for the the enemies to decide to fly in front of you rather than behind.

No, you do not assume the role of the pilot in that mission. Apparently you simply failed to understand it. The other guy is the pilot, YOU are the weapons officer responsible for handling... you guessed it, the weapons.

Well then they confused me by directly referring to her in the preceding cutscene as the F-18 pilot that flew an air strike. That distinction doesn't suddenly make the mission any less of a disappointment, however.

WSO's (weapons systems officers) are also trained and qualified pilots. To my knowledge, they generally don't swap about from single pilot fighters to strike aircraft, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

*shrugs* If you don't appreciate a closer approximation of actual encounters, that's on you. I'd personally rather they try to remain authentic and make things interesting that way instead of "Here's a bajillion things to blow up! GO GO GO!" Your single jet is not going to get swarmed by 50 enemy aircraft and hundreds of ground targets. That sort of thing simply DOES NOT happen. Forgetting even the pilots' lives, the Navy would not send in a $50+ million dollar aircraft to guaranteed destruction against innumerable odds.

73. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 19:51 Teddy

Tumbler wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 19:49:

No, you do not assume the role of the pilot in that mission. Apparently you simply failed to understand it. The other guy is the pilot, YOU are the weapons officer responsible for handling... you guessed it, the weapons.

Does anyone know if this back seat position is available in MP?

To my knowledge, it's not, though I didn't get to try any A10's or the russian equivalent in testing. There is, however a co-op mission where you are pilot and co-pilot.

72. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 19:49 jacobvandy

The jet level sucks because you aren't flying. You assume the role of the pilot, but it just floats along on a rail with you popping flares or firing guns and missiles as needed. It's so boring because more than half the time is just waiting for the the enemies to decide to fly in front of you rather than behind.

Well then they confused me by directly referring to her in the preceding cutscene as the F-18 pilot that flew an air strike. That distinction doesn't suddenly make the mission any less of a disappointment, however.

71. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 19:49 Tumbler

Does anyone know if this back seat position is available in MP?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

70. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 19:31 Teddy

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2011, 19:38.

69. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 19:28 Teddy

Beamer wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 13:43:
And while I agree the CoD story is incoherent garbage, it at least has a pressing urgency. That's really the only thing it communicates well.

But the two or three reviews I skimmed didn't drool over CoD, just said this tries very hard to be CoD and fails miserably by having the same flaws and new ones.

No big surprise. MW does set pieces and urgency well. It does infinite spawning and story cohesion poorly.

Like hell is had a pressing urgency. All they did with that was have the guys yell at you when you didn't move. In the first mission in black ops I was in a house that was supposedly falling down around us. They kept shouting, "Come on, WE HAVE TO GET OUT NOW!" Just for fun I left my character sitting in a corner doing absolutely nothing, walked away from my computer. The AI fought with itself for almost an hour with the friendlies screaming about how the building was coming down and we had to get out NOW.

I was bored out of my skull in Black Ops precisely because these people don't understand how to pace a story. Constant explosions and gunfire is not exciting. It's repetitive and if it ever impressed you at the beginning, you just don't care by the time the 70th explosion in the last five minutes goes off.

Same reason I despise Michael Bay movies. He is one of the worst film makers of our generation, and even though he doesn't understand how to make a movie without having to scream EPIC EPIC EPIC every second of the film, he still gets millions to make his drivel. He sells movies well, he makes them horribly.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2011, 19:39.

68. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 19:26 Linksil

God they need to realize that a ton of places just started releasing it early and unlock origins. I hate having to wait for midnight to play a game that's on my computer.  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

67. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 19:06 Bhruic

Yeah, other people are having similar issues. Hopefully they get it worked out soon, I'd like to be able to check it out tonight, instead of a 3am unlock.

edit: Yeah, just got a second email saying:
Product Name: Battlefield 3 Limited Edition

Still doesn't allow me to run the game tho'. I might just switch to an asian VPN and skip the hassle.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2011, 19:13.

66. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 18:49 eunichron

Bhruic wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 18:39:
So I just got an email from Origin

Yeah, I got the same one. I think the confusion is over:
Product Name: Battlefield 3 Pre-order Promotion - Physical Warfare Pack

In other words, for some dumb reason, the Physical Warfare Pack has an earlier release date than the actual game. Typical EA stupidity.

I got an e-mail as well, but mine did not mention the Physical Warfare Pack, just BF3 Limited Edition, and that the release date was now October 24, 2011. I tried launching it and it's still telling me that it won't be playable until October 25, 2011 at 2:00AM.

65. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 18:39 Bhruic

So I just got an email from Origin

Yeah, I got the same one. I think the confusion is over:
Product Name: Battlefield 3 Pre-order Promotion - Physical Warfare Pack

In other words, for some dumb reason, the Physical Warfare Pack has an earlier release date than the actual game. Typical EA stupidity.

64. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 18:26 jacobvandy

Krovven wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 18:15:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 16:09:
And you managed to focus on an afterthought to my main point.

I agree that they could/should have and that it would make a better game.

But ignoring the obvious design problems by letting a player fly in a linear space on a story mission, you directly compared this to CoD and that is what I took issue with. Is it an "afterthought" to your point, yes it is, but it was still a stupid afterthought nonetheless. I pointed it out, for the obvious reason that if I agree with your main point, I definitely did not agree with the comparison of that point.

How can you agree or disagree with my opinion on BF3 if you haven't played it? I'm just not allowed to make such comparisons to Call of Duty because of your pre-existing opinions on the two franchises in general? Okay... Rolleyes

63. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 18:25 Sphinx

Okay from within Origin do this
1. Click on the MY GAMES tab
2. Click on the gear in the right hand top corner
3. Select Settings
4. On the General tab are two settings:
-- Downloaded Games -- change where your downloaded games go
-- Select where you want to store your game installers. You can change that too.

Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 15:22:
Sphinx wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 15:17:
Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 15:13:
Which it does once it gets to the install part. However, for the download part, it just goes straight to C, and I can't find if and where you can change that.

Creston

Creston:
Had the same inquiry when I downloaded the BF3 beta and Mass Effect 2 via Origin since I didn't want them on my SSD either. There was a way to change the download location and install path for Origin but I can't recall right now where it is. I'll look tonight and post here. Probably be a few hours.

Thanks.

Creston

-Sphinx

62. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 18:23 ASeven

Early reports from those playing already mention spawnkilling is even more easy to do than BF2, and this even includes Rush. Someone stands outside the spawn point on a base and just headshots. Since the spawn point does not change unless someone is occupying it apparently spawnkillers are having a field day.  

61. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 18:15 Krovven

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 16:09:
And you managed to focus on an afterthought to my main point.

I agree that they could/should have and that it would make a better game.

But ignoring the obvious design problems by letting a player fly in a linear space on a story mission, you directly compared this to CoD and that is what I took issue with. Is it an "afterthought" to your point, yes it is, but it was still a stupid afterthought nonetheless. I pointed it out, for the obvious reason that if I agree with your main point, I definitely did not agree with the comparison of that point.

60. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 18:11 DG

Hmm, this is tempting.

I really, really dislike about everything I've heard about Origin. I really don't like EA. After the clusterfuck of bugs and BS that was BF2142, I don't think I like DICE or BF much either.

But then where's the big MP games coming from? And I'm upgrading soon...

59. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 18:02 Krovven

So I just got an email from Origin stating:
Thank you for ordering on Origin. The release date for the preorder product has changed. The product listed below will now be available on October 24, 2011.

But when I try and launch the game from Origin it still says Oct 25th 00:00 PST (midnight.

58. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 17:59 Creston

LittleMe wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 17:12:
There was no proof provided for these allegations.

Sure there was. It was even linked to. There was no proof provided that EA plays that kind of hardball with everybody (and it was denied by several Norwegian gamesites.)

At the same time, plenty of sites have reviews, while plenty of other sites have no reviews, several of them because, as they say, EA did not send them a copy.

There's nothing illegal about EA not sending copies to certain sites, obviously, but there's definite cherry-picking going on, which is why I'd take the 93 score with a small pinch of salt.

Creston

57. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 17:39 shihonage

Remember how reviews destroyed MoH?

The game actually had a solid, dignified SP campaign. Far better than MW2, in my opinion.

When these morons start harping about how BF3 plot is "predictable" and "worn out", it tells me only that they're pretentious hacks. A plot's value is not in its unpredictability, its in the execution. Especially so in a game like this.

MoH plot was very straightforward, but I loved the campaign. Soldiers talked economically. It was dry but realistic. It felt, somehow, grounded and atmospheric (something that MW series sorely lack).

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo