Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit

Fragworld.Org offers the outcome of a Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit where EA and DICE met with 75 members of the PC first-person shooter community to discuss the upcoming military shooter sequel. There's no text transcript of the proceedings, but the audio of the two-hour summit is available in a few different formats.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 24, 2011, 20:02 space captain

jimnms wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 14:56:
The Origin client is not like Steam, it is only a downloader and it does not run in the background when you launch the game.

you are completely wrong about that

sorry

Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 24, 2011, 18:49 Bhruic

Did you not read anything I posted?

I did, but I made the mistake of believing you actually understood what "exclusive" means. If you can buy a product at numerous locations, it's not exclusive to one location. So you've been using the wrong word.

And Verno already explained about how Origin is required to be running to play BF3. It's worth noting that quite a few Steam games (even Steamwork games) don't require Steam to be running in the background, so yeah, Origin is like Steam.

39. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 24, 2011, 15:17 Verno

Did you not read anything I posted? I bought mine from Amazon's digital service. I got a key to plug into Origin, so it is Origin exclusive because it downloads through Origin. The Origin client is not like Steam, it is only a downloader and it does not run in the background when you launch the game. The game is already installed, and I can launch it. It doesn't let you play it because it has a release date check when it starts, but Origin does not start up with it like Steam does when trying to start a Steamworks game.

It will though, Battlelog requires Origin to launch BF3. That's how it was in alpha/beta. It is a very strange design process where you still need 2 web browser plugins, a dedicated client and your own game to play the game but that's apparently what they decided on. You aren't hitting that step yet because of the release date check I assume. Once the game is running you can alt tab and kill Origin but I imagine it will just relaunch if you go to change servers or etc.

It would certainly be a welcome surprise if they modified that behavior for release but given that they have literally said BF3 requires Origin I doubt it.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

38. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 24, 2011, 14:56 jimnms

Bhruic wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 23:45:
BF3 is not an Origin exclusive. It just requires Origin to be running in order to play the game. Plenty of other digital distributors sell it, with the notable exception of Steam.

In that vein, it's just like most Steamworks games, they can be sold by other DDs, but they require Steam to be running to play them.

Did you not read anything I posted? I bought mine from Amazon's digital service. I got a key to plug into Origin, so it is Origin exclusive because it downloads through Origin. The Origin client is not like Steam, it is only a downloader and it does not run in the background when you launch the game. The game is already installed, and I can launch it. It doesn't let you play it because it has a release date check when it starts, but Origin does not start up with it like Steam does when trying to start a Steamworks game.

MeanJim on Steam

37. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 24, 2011, 11:51 xXBatmanXx

Is there a list of these 75 community peoples?  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

36. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 24, 2011, 09:54 Beamer

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 08:58:
A friend of mine bought me the game but I didn't bother preloading, BF launches are usually a disaster anyway. I wish he had just saved the money to be honest, I didn't really enjoy the beta that much. I hope retail is drastically different otherwise I'm going to feel bad for bailing.

Reviews are saying single player is an absolute disaster, more linear than CoD (at least in CoD the guys show up in different places, though it's really more that so many guys show up from everywhere) and just plain boring.

But they're still giving it a 9 out of 10 or so everywhere, saying the multiplayer makes up for it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

35. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 24, 2011, 09:47 LittleMe

Smooth Gravy wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 08:54:
I guess I'm in the minority, but I am really looking forward to BF3 tomorrow. I had fun playing the beta (I know, I was the only one..)and I don't understand the comments about it being just "another run n gun" game. Isn't that what all FPS games are? This title has a lot more substance than some of the other FPS titles that have come out recently or will be coming out shortly.

Yeah I'm mildly excited about the release. I'm going to play it before I judge it too much.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

34. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 24, 2011, 08:58 Verno

A friend of mine bought me the game but I didn't bother preloading, BF launches are usually a disaster anyway. I wish he had just saved the money to be honest, I didn't really enjoy the beta that much. I hope retail is drastically different otherwise I'm going to feel bad for bailing.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

33. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 24, 2011, 08:54 Smooth Gravy

I guess I'm in the minority, but I am really looking forward to BF3 tomorrow. I had fun playing the beta (I know, I was the only one..)and I don't understand the comments about it being just "another run n gun" game. Isn't that what all FPS games are? This title has a lot more substance than some of the other FPS titles that have come out recently or will be coming out shortly.  

32. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 24, 2011, 07:11 Dades

Krovven wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 22:51:
http://www.swtor.com/info/faq

This will be no surprise to anyone who has read your posts but you are wrong yet again. The Origin client is not required to play The Old Republic, the producers of the game confirmed it long ago.

31. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 24, 2011, 07:01 CreamyBlood

Hey kiddo, give me some good drugs and I'll slog through the boredom that you consider entertainment, 'today'. Just because you got old, Bludd, doesn't mean that I did.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2011, 07:16.

30. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 24, 2011, 06:48 Bludd

CreamyBlood wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 04:41:
Now what do you have? NOW WHAT DO WE HAVE? Shit, shit, and more shit. It's an embarassment and really sad considering that the year is now 2011.

Where is the fun? Where is the fun I ask? Deathmatch spamfests dressed up in serious clothes does not make a game entertaining, to me.

Hey, gramps, did someone forget to give you your meds today?

29. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 24, 2011, 04:41 CreamyBlood

I think that Battlefield 1942 was one of my favourite online games ever, just after Enemy Territory. It was and still is hilarious. It has submarines, destroyers, aircraft carriers, fighter planes, no helicopters, infantry, AA guns, huge maps, tonnes of players.

It is a blast.

BF2 came out and it was serious, nerfed half of that but admitadly brought the infantry up to par. '42 had bad hit/scan compared to RtCW but it was fun!

BF2 slowed it down, sucked some of the life out of it and made it boring. Plus, I'm not sure, but they never fixed a lot of critical bugs. Oh, and 'unlocks'. Let's unbalance the game. (I had given up on it by then).

Then they had 2142, before fixing BF2 and now they have what? Small maps, regenerating health, vehicles that fly a million miles an hour over a tiny place. For many this has worked.

I myself think the two best hopes for online MP died with 1942 and Enemy Territory, nothing has recovered. They tried with Quake Wars, you know, assymetrical class and objective based true hit-scan shooters. With moderate XP advancement.

Now what do you have? NOW WHAT DO WE HAVE? Shit, shit, and more shit. It's an embarassment and really sad considering that the year is now 2011.

Where is the fun? Where is the fun I ask? Deathmatch spamfests dressed up in serious clothes does not make a game entertaining, to me.

28. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 24, 2011, 03:30 entr0py

Krovven wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 22:51:
Dades wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 22:42:
The Old Republic doesn't require Origin.

Q: Will I require an Origin account in addition to a SWTOR account?

A: Yes, you will require an active Origin account in addition to a Star Wars: The Old Republic account

Opinions are like assholes on the internet, yours included.

Yours being the biggest.

You're both right in a sense. But more accurately Dades is right.

As stated in that FAQ, TOR requires an Origin account. Which is to say that it requires an EA account. That's all that an Origin account is; they just renamed all EA accounts a while back.

However TOR does not require that you, at any time, install or use the Origin software.

I agree that the FAQ is confusing, because it's easy to assume that any game that requires an Origin/EA account would also require the Origin client. But that ain't the case.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/122816/the-old-republic-doesn-t-require-origin

27. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 24, 2011, 00:33 Tumbler

If you want to spoil the shit out of this game there is an excellent set of lets play videosin HD! I've watched the first 6 bids, 4 was the jet mission in full!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrM7eQPXbNs

The guy doesn't talk much either!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

26. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 24, 2011, 00:31 Linksil

I think people are looking at it as a Origin exclusive because it requires it to run. You might be able to buy it from any place, but you are stuck running a DRM/companys program in the background to run it. Just like a lot of people think of games with steamworks required as being a steam game or exclusive. Basicly you can't play without it thus it's excluding every other way.  
Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

25. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 23, 2011, 23:45 Bhruic

I don't like that it's exclusive to Origin, and I don't see why it has to be. The only thing making it Origin exclusive is EA not letting other digital distributors sell it.

Really, where did this one come from?

BF3 is not an Origin exclusive. It just requires Origin to be running in order to play the game. Plenty of other digital distributors sell it, with the notable exception of Steam.

In that vein, it's just like most Steamworks games, they can be sold by other DDs, but they require Steam to be running to play them.

24. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 23, 2011, 22:51 Krovven

Q: Will I require an Origin account in addition to a SWTOR account?

A: Yes, you will require an active Origin account in addition to a Star Wars: The Old Republic account

Yours being the biggest.

23. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 23, 2011, 22:42 Dades

Bhruic wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 19:29:
EA missed the boat.
SW:ToR, I think that EA is going to have a fairly large audience on Origin.

You don't like it don't buy it, the rest of the world doesn't care. I know that sounds like a complete asshole statement but its the truth.

22. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 23, 2011, 22:41 jimnms

Icewind wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 18:41:
Shame this game is exclusive to Origin. I won't support Origin at all.

I decided to give it a try. The $40 Amazon deal helped. I don't like that it's exclusive to Origin, and I don't see why it has to be. The only thing making it Origin exclusive is EA not letting other digital distributors sell it. I was thinking they were going to be using a client app like Steam to launch the games. The Origin client is nothing but a downloader, the game installs and runs on its own without the Origin client needing to be running. It even has the option of saving the install files, so I assume you could install it offline later without needing to re-download anything through Origin. I wonder if I could uninstall Origin and if BF3 would still work.

I was hoping Origin had something like VAC, but no, it still uses shitty punkbuster. In a few years it will be nothing but cheaters playing like what happened to BF2.

Once they rake in the profits for the first month or so, I bet EA will allow other digital distributors to sell it.

MeanJim on Steam

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo