Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview

The new episode of GameTrailers TV features Geoff Keighley's visit to Bethaisda (?) to check out The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim, the next installment in Bethesda's RPG series. This features a conversation with Todd Howard and shows of new gameplay footage centering on the role of dragons in the game. Thanks Acleacius.

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

22. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 20:59 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 20:36:
Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 were nearly bug free out of the box.

Surely you jest.

Nope. Contrary to you, my friend, I was always playing a legit version of these games though and not a "Reloaded" version so that might have helped.

Also, I find it silly to post a listing of a few individual issues. You can do that with any game if your single goal is to make a game look bad and buggy.
What counts is the overall experience that the majority of the gamers had and for most people who played the legit versions of Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3, well, they had a flawless experience. Whether you like it or not.

In Morrowind, I was constantly falling through the floor in a part of the Mage's Guild building in Balmora.

Aaaw. Crap. And there was no way around that particular spot, right?

In Oblivion, there was a critical bug that caused the game to run out of IDs for items and characters after a certain amount of playtime, preventing new items and characters from being spawned. There was also a critical bug where animations would start slowing down and eventually stop completely after a certain amount of playtime, breaking the game.

Yep. That bug existed but barely anyone ever encountered it because we're talking about HUNDREDS of hours of play time. No one other than a handful of the most extreme hardcore nuts ever had that bug happen to them. And it was fixed eventually.

In Fallout 3, I would randomly crash whenever indoors.

Again: Buy the game and play a legit version. Then we'll talk again. Or at the off chance that you did in fact play a legit version: Learn to configure your system properly. The vast majority of people never encountered crashes in Fallout 3.

There were tons and tons of minor bugs as well. Floating objects, holes in the terrain, clipping issues, physics issues, ragdoll issues, Z-sorting issues, navmesh issues, particle issues, transparency issues, scripting issues, etc. The community patch for Oblivion had over 1800 bug fixes.

Every single game has these sorts of issues. Every single fucking one. And the 1800 "bug" fixes in the Oblivion community patch mostly consisted of cosmetic stuff including hundreds of instances where they fixed the spelling. It's ridiculous to even mention that in this context. It's obvious that we were talking about major game-breaking bugs on release day. Major fuck-ups. That kind of thing. And Bethesda has an excellent track record in that regard with their last three releases.

No game is bug free or even close to it, especially not RPGs.

Ah, finally you get it! There may be intelligence left in you yet. I never said that the games were bug free. I said "nearly" which needs to be seen in perspective and comparison to other game (RPG) releases. Naturally Bethesda games have had issues but the vast majority of gamers ever only encountered minor glitches that had no negative impact on the overall gameplay experience.
Compared to other games that come out with show-stoppers, major repeatable crash bugs, save game (or other file) corruption and all other sorts of shit, Bethesda games are like a golden toilet brush in a sea of turds, dude. Seriously .

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 20:38 Darks

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 15:04:
God, I can't wait for Skyrim... I've already warned my wife not to expect to see me for the next 500 or so hours after it comes out.

Creston

Iím curious Creston, would you notice her packing her bags and moving back to her motherís house? Not too sure many wives would tolerate that. But yea, I canít wait either.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

20. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 20:36 Jerykk

Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 were nearly bug free out of the box.

Surely you jest. In Morrowind, I was constantly falling through the floor in a part of the Mage's Guild building in Balmora. In Oblivion, there was a critical bug that caused the game to run out of IDs for items and characters after a certain amount of playtime, preventing new items and characters from being spawned. There was also a critical bug where animations would start slowing down and eventually stop completely after a certain amount of playtime, breaking the game. In Fallout 3, I would randomly crash whenever indoors.

There were tons and tons of minor bugs as well. Floating objects, holes in the terrain, clipping issues, physics issues, ragdoll issues, Z-sorting issues, navmesh issues, particle issues, transparency issues, scripting issues, etc. The community patch for Oblivion had over 1800 bug fixes.

No game is bug free or even close to it, especially not RPGs.

19. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 20:33 Dades

In what alternate universe did Fallout 3 not have bugs? It's still filled with numerous problems the community had to patch. Just because the game doesn't crash doesn't mean its problem free.  

18. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 19:59 PHJF

Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 were nearly bug free out of the box

Yeah, until you tried to play them.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 19:55 Kastagir

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 19:27:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 15:22:
I really, really hope this doesn't release in a bug-ridden disaster state like most other Bethesda projects...oh who am I kidding...

Not sure what you're talking about. Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 were nearly bug free out of the box. They had to be, too, because of the console versions. The few issues that remained were addressed in patches. Bethesda definitely has an admirable track record in the post-Daggerfall era. If you wanna hate then hate on something else. Something that actually makes sense or something...

I'll grant that Oblivion and Fallout3 were not the bug-infested nightmares we've grown accustomed to in recent years, but Morrowind was hardly bug free at launch. I'll remind you that Morrowind was not a simultaneous PC and XBox launch - the PC version had been out for quite a while before the GotY version came out on both platforms. Prior to that, it had plenty of bugs, though not as onerous as some that we've seen in other games, so it's easy to forget and forgive. Not that this matters at all - people will find flaws with Skyrim in the first week after launch. Meanwhile, 99% of the players (including me) will be enjoying the crap out of it.

16. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 19:51 Kastagir

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 19:46:
Kastagir wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 19:44:
Don't care about the consoles. Not sorry, either.

Dude, your point was that no gold announcement yet means this and that unless they're planning for full digital. My point back to you is that that is impossible, given their main platforms. It has nothing to do with which platform you personally "care about."

I think I edited my post within 15 seconds of posting it. In that time you decided what my point was and took offense. In fact, my point was not that digital distribution was their only form of distribution, but that it would make up a much larger percentage of sales than any previous Elder Scrolls game. I thought that was pretty clear. And I still don't care about consoles.

15. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 19:46 StingingVelvet

Kastagir wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 19:44:
Don't care about the consoles. Not sorry, either.

Dude, your point was that no gold announcement yet means this and that unless they're planning for full digital. My point back to you is that that is impossible, given their main platforms. It has nothing to do with which platform you personally "care about."

14. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 19:45 StingingVelvet

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 19:27:
Not sure what you're talking about. Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 were nearly bug free out of the box. They had to be, too, because of the console versions. The few issues that remained were addressed in patches. Bethesda definitely has an admirable track record in the post-Daggerfall era. If you wanna hate then hate on something else. Something that actually makes sense or something...

That's been my experience as well, pretty much bug-free games. So many people endlessly complain about Bethesda games and bugs though, so there must be some truth to it. My mantra, as always, is to keep a clean PC.

13. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 19:44 Kastagir

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 15:16:
Kastagir wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 14:31:
That, or the digital distribution of this game is going to be unprecedented.

The Xbox and PS3, the main formats for this game, do not have day one digital distribution very often, if ever.
I wasn't talking about the consoles because I don't care about the consoles. Not sorry, either. Nothing personal, I just don't think about them.

12. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 19:27 CJ_Parker

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 15:22:
I really, really hope this doesn't release in a bug-ridden disaster state like most other Bethesda projects...oh who am I kidding...

11. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 17:51 Pankin

PHJF wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 15:40:
Replaying Oblivion after four years, modded heavily... and the game does not stand up well at all, visually or otherwise. Music is still great but that's about it. Deadly Reflex 6 installed, but it's a little more than a patch on a festering wound

I agree but more involving the gameplay mechanics than the graphics. Between Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas, we've all just sort of tacitly agreed that the way to do NPC dialogue is to pause the entire world, zoom in on the NPC speaking, and endure a dialogue tree. I think the main element of Skyrim that'll instantly spoil all of us is the new dialogue system. We may still have a tree to deal with but releasing the need to lock in & zoom should make things interesting.

I wonder what'll happen if you just walk away in the middle of an NPC's sentence? Probably similar to real life: they'd think you were the captain of the douche canoe.

Nov 11th is a Friday. How fucking perfect is that?

10. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 17:47 Cutter

Is one of the shouts KISS' Shout It Out Loud?

Yeah, I decided I'll be getting this day one now as well. Now that Bats is out, the only 2 other games I want besides this is LOTR War of the North and Ass Creed Rev, both of which will be rentals. There's nothing else I really want for a while after that so Skyrim will need to tide me over for a while.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 15:40 PHJF

Replaying Oblivion after four years, modded heavily... and the game does not stand up well at all, visually or otherwise. Music is still great but that's about it. Deadly Reflex 6 installed, but it's a little more than a patch on a festering wound  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 15:22 Parallax Abstraction

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

7. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 15:17 wtf_man

I pre-ordered it last week... I almost never purchase on day one, let alone pre-order.  

6. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 15:16 StingingVelvet

Kastagir wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 14:31:
That, or the digital distribution of this game is going to be unprecedented.

The Xbox and PS3, the main formats for this game, do not have day one digital distribution very often, if ever.

5. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 15:13 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 15:04:
God, I can't wait for Skyrim... I've already warned my wife not to expect to see me for the next 500 or so hours after it comes out. :)

I'm extremely excited about it despite thinking Oblivion was disappointing. Can't wait, honestly.

4. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 15:04 Creston

God, I can't wait for Skyrim... I've already warned my wife not to expect to see me for the next 500 or so hours after it comes out.

Creston

3. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 14:31 Kastagir

I'm curious as to why the game hasn't gone gold (released to manufacturing) yet when most games require up to a month to prepare for release. I guess since Bethesda is in essence publishing their own game, they require less time to meet production demands. That, or the digital distribution of this game is going to be unprecedented.

Oh, and I saw quite a few things that were new other than a couple of shouts. New enemies, weapons and spells were shown. Also, some really good detail shots that were clearer than the 22-minute demo which served to quell my concerns about how developing on the consoles would hinder the appearance on the PC.

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo