Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview

The new episode of GameTrailers TV features Geoff Keighley's visit to Bethaisda (?) to check out The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim, the next installment in Bethesda's RPG series. This features a conversation with Todd Howard and shows of new gameplay footage centering on the role of dragons in the game. Thanks Acleacius.

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

82. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 25, 2011, 08:51 Verno

You can argue that you've never experienced any of these bugs yourself but the changelists speak for themselves.

Nah he can't, he'd be arguing with himself Beam

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

81. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 23:43 Jerykk

I'm really not. I mean if that makes you feel better about your PC issues then fine, believe what you want. I seriously 100% honestly never have issues though, ever.

Good for you, I guess? You must either have a magical PC that makes bugs disappear or you play games exactly the way the designers intended because Bethesda's games definitely have lots of bugs. Just check the changelists for the numerous patches their RPGs have received over the years. Then check the changelists for the numerous unofficial community patches those games have received. That's a lot of bugs.

You can argue that you've never experienced any of these bugs yourself but the changelists speak for themselves.

80. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 20:15 Beamer

nin wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 17:13:
Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 17:07:
Massive thread-hijack, but thanks for the insights anyways, guys.

Creston

It's certainty not a bad game, but from my perspective while there's a few improvements, there's just as many (if not more) annoyances that weren't in the original.

Agreed. Had this been the first in the series my mind would be blown. But this is a step back from that. If the first was a 9.5 this is an 8.5, but since it's a step backwards that drop feels even larger.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

79. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 17:13 nin

Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 17:07:

Creston

It's certainty not a bad game, but from my perspective while there's a few improvements, there's just as many (if not more) annoyances that weren't in the original.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

78. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 17:07 Creston

Creston

77. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 16:08 Beamer

Themed corridors fit Batman very well.
But I don't care about that too much, though contrived themed corridors still feel better than bland, generic, landmark-free dark rooftops, I cared more that the places you fought were carefully designed to utilize Batman's strengths (stealth) while the City is designed just to be something you have to keep moving through and fighting in it abandons any stealth and is exclusively fist fighting. I'm not sure what the attraction is there, but I assume some people just want to play as Batman so badly they don't mind if the highlights of the last game are abandoned.

-------------

76. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 16:05 Verno

As I told a friend earlier in email:

Too much shit going on at once. I have my main quest, I have the riddler "?"s to find. I have the payphones to answer, I have the bane sidequest, I have the random hostages, I have the AR missions, etc...it all litters the map, and instead of feeling like GTA (where you have 2-3 options at a time, mission wise), it feels like I'm being pulled in too many directions at once. This, combined with the crowded controller, and the fact that the city kinda all looks the same (you don't see the variety of zones like you did in the first one), and I think I liked Arkham Asylum better.

edit: Also, the awkward "switch to a different character/part of the story" seems tacked on and unneeded.

They split off the story stuff into separate areas though. The sidequest stuff you can safely ignore if you don't want to do it. I don't care if I solve Zasz's silly payphone sidequest so I went onto other things. The themed areas in Arkham Asylum felt a little contrived to me and many were just basically themed corridors so I'm not sure what the attraction there was. I think it's just people being resistant to change in any shape type stuff.

The controller being busy is very valid though, I definitely feel a bit overwhelmed at times despite being relatively familiar and comfortable with the controls. The basic fight stuff is still the same but they really need to dial back Batmans arsenal a bit.

75. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 16:04 Beamer

nin wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 15:56:
Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 15:44:
Arkham City? Underwhelming? How come?

Creston

Too much shit going on at once. I have my main quest, I have the riddler "?"s to find. I have the payphones to answer, I have the bane sidequest, I have the random hostages, I have the AR missions, etc...it all litters the map, and instead of feeling like GTA (where you have 2-3 options at a time, mission wise), it feels like I'm being pulled in too many directions at once. This, combined with the crowded controller, and the fact that the city kinda all looks the same (you don't see the variety of zones like you did in the first one), and I think I liked Arkham Asylum better.

You forgot that you also have random conversations being picked up constantly. You don't go 3 seconds without having some conversation detected. Sometimes you just want a little piece and quiet, rather than hearing about someone trying to get Harley on the rebound for the 80th time.

The phones drive me nuts. I made the mistake of answering once, which sent me racing for another phone (which was marked on my HUD, but you do not have that HUD in detective mode for some baffling reason.) I landed with 15 or 20 seconds to spare, but the phone was on the opposite side of some junk. I couldn't get over there fast enough, as everything I thought I could climb I couldn't. Game over, as if I was the one dying instead of a hostage.
From that point out no more phones. That wasn't a fun side quest. But they keep ringing and ringing and ringing and ringing.

With AC being as dark as it is it can be difficult to tell what's a building you can grapple around and which are city limits you can't go near. Yeah, I know, they're covered in barbed wire, but when you're lower in the city and can't see that high suddenly your path just ends when you think you should keep swinging.

I think I complained about the crowded controller before, too, when I said you're kind of dropped in without a clue what's going on. Now that I've gotten the hang of combat again Medium is fairly easy and Hard would be better, with the exception of guns in situations that stealth isn't very valid (like most of the actual City.) But yeah, gadgets are such a hassle when it's in the middle of a battle.

-------------

74. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 15:56 nin

Creston

edit: Also, the awkward "switch to a different character/part of the story" seems tacked on and unneeded.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

73. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 15:51 Verno

Creston

Arkham City is awesome in pretty much every respect. If anything they try to pack too much into the experience at times. Don't worry, its a great game that surpasses its predecessor. I'm about 5 hours in and loving every minute

72. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 15:50 Beamer

Beamer wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 13:59:
Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 13:50:
StingingVelvet's amusing anecdotes over never having PC issues notwithstanding, can I again mention how fucking EXCITED I am about this being out in 3 weeks?

Creston

Agreed.
With Batman underwhelming me some I'm left dying for this and Saints Row 3.

Creston

Note: I haven't done too much of the main mission, which I hear you go through quickly. I've mostly been in the city itself.

And the city is no Arkham Asylum. Arkham Asylum was a bunch of imaginative areas with unique themes. Arkham City is a bland, dark group of identical rooftops. Arkham Asylum was carefully laid out rooms that you'd ninja through, swooping and diving and crawling and venting and hanging. Arkham City has very little of this and is more drooping and brawling. In fact I've yet to find myself on a ledge that I can hang from and perform an inverted takedown (plenty of hanging from ledges, but I've yet gotten a prompt allowing me to do the takedown. Instead I just watch people beneath me with prompts to either climb or glide.) I don't want rhythm fist fighting, I want ninja takedowns.

I'm also not really digging the whole Riddler piece. I still have no clue how most of the pressure switches work, though I'm guessing some will make sense when I next play as Catwoman. I have no clue how to hit so many of the buttons I see, but again figure it's a Catwoman thing. I dislike that so many trophies out in the open are Catwoman exclusive and shock me when I pick them up. I'm not as into the riddles because they don't work as well in the open world and, unless I'm wrong, you don't get a clue that a riddle exists unless you beat an informant up, but that informant not only triggers the clue but also its exact location (prior I was going into the menu to listen to the clue, which was also no fun.) Lastly, I don't know if I haven't triggered the quests involving giant question marks or not but I spent 5 minutes thinking I had one lined up but couldn't make the game acknowledge it.

I'm maybe 3 hours in, maybe 4, but just not really craving it. The city is too damn dark and too damn dull. The open-world decision, thus far, is a poor one.

-------------

71. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 15:44 Creston

Beamer wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 13:59:
StingingVelvet's amusing anecdotes over never having PC issues notwithstanding, can I again mention how fucking EXCITED I am about this being out in 3 weeks?

Creston

Agreed.

Creston

70. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 15:43 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 14:06:
As this rate I won't even bother with SWKOTOR because my backlog won't end til around May

It's probably a far safer bet to wait until May to play KOR anyway...

Creston

69. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 15:42 Creston

Hammer wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 14:04:
Stupid question (maybe)...I haven't followed up at all with Skyrim - but one of the things I didn't like with Oblivion (not that I played it a lot) is the fact that the mobs in each region were dynamically changed to always be at your level (or something).

Anyone knows if it's going to be the same with Skyrim (out of the box...I know there is probably a mod out there that changes this...)

Did you play fallout 3? They said it'll be like Fallout 3's system. It still isn't perfect, but at least there will be Newbie zones which will stay newbie zones, and there will be Zones of Utter Ruination which will remain as such.

However, within that framework there will still be some alterations based on your level.

That said, getting rid of the stupid leveling system was one of the first major things that modders did for Oblivion (which led to incredible mods such as OOO, Martigen's, Warcry, and later FCOM:Convergence. So even if it's annoying, the community will get rid of it rather quickly, I imagine.

Creston

68. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 14:06 Verno

Creston

I'm totally stoked to never have any issues with this game..except for when I do but those don't count

I am however not happy with 10 decent games all landing near each other. As this rate I won't even bother with SWKOTOR because my backlog won't end til around May

but one of the things I didn't like with Oblivion (not that I played it a lot) is the fact that the mobs in each region were dynamically changed to always be at your level (or something).

Anyone knows if it's going to be the same with Skyrim (out of the box...I know there is probably a mod out there that changes this...)

They are using a similar system but claim that it won't be very noticeable or annoying to the player this time around.

67. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 14:04 Hammer

Stupid question (maybe)...I haven't followed up at all with Skyrim - but one of the things I didn't like with Oblivion (not that I played it a lot) is the fact that the mobs in each region were dynamically changed to always be at your level (or something).

66. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 13:59 Beamer

Creston

Agreed.

-------------

65. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 13:50 Creston

Creston

64. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 11:50 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 10:57:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 01:59:
That's just what they're saying to be polite. We know you're just stubbornly sticking to something dumb you said years ago.

I'm really not. I mean if that makes you feel better about your PC issues then fine, believe what you want. I seriously 100% honestly never have issues though, ever.

Absurd in the extreme, a bit embarrassing to read even. People can't even make that claim about console gaming these days, let alone PC gaming.

Hell, you don't even agree with yourself:

Fallout 3's 1.5 patch broke mods and caused my game to crash constantly. Call of Duty Black Ops had a stutter problem for some people but mine was fine at launch, then the quick patch right after it came out made my game stutter like everyone was complaining about. I'm pretty sure there are other examples.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2011, 12:27.

63. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 10:57 StingingVelvet

Sepharo wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 01:59:
That's just what they're saying to be polite. We know you're just stubbornly sticking to something dumb you said years ago.

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo