Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass

The World of Warcraft Website has details on a new World of Warcraft annual pass program. Word is those who make this commitment will get several perks, including a free copy of Diablo III:

• Diablo III FREE – Download the digital version via Battle.net for free when the game launches early next year. This is the full game, not a trial edition.
  • Tyrael’s Charger WoW Flying Mount – Ride for the Archangel of Justice on all current and future characters on a single World of Warcraft account. Tyrael’s Charger will arrive via in-game mail with the upcoming launch of patch 4.3.
  • Access to the Next WoW Expansion Beta Test – Get a guaranteed spot in the beta test for the next World of Warcraft expansion (at a time to be announced in the future).

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 23, 2011, 14:18 WyldKat

Drezden wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 21:04:
Cutter wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 20:30:
Drezden wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 20:03:
Talisorn wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 18:55:
I smell fear of SWTOR.

Naaailed it.

Wrong. They have nothing to fear from SWTOR. GW2 on the other hand...

If the sales for the completely fucked up Blu Ray release of Star Wars proves anything. It's that there are people who will buy a Star Wars product just because it's Star Wars. So anyone who has played a Bioware game, or a Kotor game, is going to pick up SWTOR. GW2, as innovative as the combat is, does not have that distinction.

Not everyone.

Bioware does make really good single player RPGs but this game is a turd. The more people realize this the better the industry will be.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 22, 2011, 22:10 Mr. Tact

Listen, I hope GW2 is a great game. But wouldn't you expect that when comparing the alpha trailer for Game A to the alpha trailer for Game B -- that Game B would look better when it was made 7 years after Game A? Just sayin'... and was any of that GW2 footage actual game play? I don't see any controls or life indicators or anything like that. WoW's alpha footage may have looked rough, but at least some of it was clearly actual game footage.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

29. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 22, 2011, 11:42 Fion

Acleacius wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 11:33:
Here's a better link for Guild Wars 2, you don't have to register with Youtube.

Thanks for the link. Their website is a hell of a lot faster than Youtube as well. I hate having to wait 15 minutes for 720p video to fully load up on a 20mbps connection on Youtube.

For those that don't know, thats the newest trailer. I love the piano peace, so I'm learning that (someone made some great sheet music for it.) It's a solo piano version of the games main theme.

28. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 22, 2011, 11:38 nin

And they're not sweating SWTOR - I can't imagine that game being good.

Keep imagining then - TOR's pretty fun. As someone who played WOW for 4 years (until March of this year), I can't imagine going back to it now. And I'm really looking forward to the TOR launch. The beta weekend I did a few weeks ago was a blast.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

27. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 22, 2011, 11:33 Acleacius

Here's a better link for Guild Wars 2, you don't have to register with Youtube.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

26. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 22, 2011, 11:00 Fion

They've been hemorrhaging subscribers for about year now, even truly dedicated players are having second thoughts. Add to that The Old Republic which is solid enough (and similar enough to WoW) to draw a few million subscribers off WoW that are 'highly' unlikely to leave after that free month like so many other MMOGs. Then next year we have Guild Wars 2 which looks fantastic even in Alpha and will be free to play after the initial purchase (and even though it's free, how many people actually play two MMOGs at once?)

They are worried sick and figure if they can dupe their existing customers into buying into this, at least they'll have that cushion for a year before everything really goes to shit.

I'd be worried too if I were them. I mean look at the difference between the alpha footage from early WoW and alpha footage from GW2. It's no contest which one is more polished, more detailed, with great animations, combat, you name it.

World of Warcraft Alpha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=didzRL56SDY

Guild Wars 2 Alpha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35BPhT-KI1E

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2011, 11:14.

25. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 22, 2011, 10:19 Dades

This is almost like reading a cell phone advertisement.

FREE DIABLO 3!***

*** with the ironic purchase of everything else we make

24. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 22, 2011, 06:42 ZeroCougar

I would tend to think, that they are not scared of SWTOR, or Guild Wars 2 much. But its bound to be a part of this move, along with player retention to WoW. I believe its definitely a combination of all 3.

And its not a bad plan ether from there view, they control B-net, they control the entire digital Diablo 3 aspect, its virtually all profit to them. And not to mention the cash they will rake in for that real money for items sold in the auction house or whatever that deal was that they are doing in D3.

All it costs them is cheap bandwidth to maintain your WoW account for the year. And the however many GB-size your digital copy of D3 costs to send to each player.

- That's a very nice everything you have there... ssssssssSSSSSSSSSSS -

23. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 22, 2011, 05:21 Fibrocyte

Boston wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 23:18:
I don't have WoW and its expansions, so that's additional $80... $236 if I want to take advantage of this offer right now. Wow, no thanks.

Damn! They almost had you fooled, too.

Anyway, this is a solid deal if you play WoW. And they're not sweating SWTOR - I can't imagine that game being good.

22. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 22, 2011, 04:56 mystery8

Seems like a great deal for those of us who planned on playing at least that long anyway.  

21. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 21, 2011, 23:18 Boston

I don't have WoW and its expansions, so that's additional $80... $236 if I want to take advantage of this offer right now. Wow, no thanks.  

20. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 21, 2011, 22:39 Alamar

Tumbler wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 22:14:
This is a really smart move.. But I don't know why anyone outside of PR/press uses the word 'free' to describe a 144? Dollar expense...

That is what I was looking for. $144 hunh. That is a lot. I guess if you're going to play wow for a year there is no reason not to get the newest game free. Smart marketing move. Assuming you already wanted to buy Diablo 3 you're looking at $65 so that means you could get a year of WoW for $79 with purchase of Diablo 3.

I'm not sure the official #, but 15 a month, 14 for 3, 13 for 6, and I assume 12 for 12, so 144...

For the many many subscribers that want a reason to leave, this offers both... Assuming they can afford it... This hurts the 'dad pays' demographic, but that's probably not as big as most think : )

Edit: holy hell, never mind.. Apparently it's an 'agreement' that you lock in for a year (and choose your payment schedule/price), which also puts it at 13/m minimum... So 156.

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2011, 22:44.

19. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 21, 2011, 22:31 Elessar

Slashman wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 20:35:
PropheT wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 18:28:
Are they really having that much trouble retaining players?

Perhaps folks started to catch on the WoW isn't, and never was, that great a game.
Oh please with this drama. People stop playing after so many years because they move on to other games. The fact that a game is played for years in the first place indicates people were actually having fun with it. I'd say a game that's fun for someone for that long would be considered a great game.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

18. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 21, 2011, 22:17 Teddy

Alamar wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 21:16:
Seriously though, I doubt Blizzard is 'scared' of either game.

-Alamar

The only game Blizzard is scared of when it comes to WoW subscriptions is Diablo 3. They've said as much in multiple interviews. It's the only game they expect to lose a large number of subscriptions to and it's their own damn game. Hence this news.

17. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 21, 2011, 22:14 Tumbler

This is a really smart move.. But I don't know why anyone outside of PR/press uses the word 'free' to describe a 144? Dollar expense...

That is what I was looking for. $144 hunh. That is a lot. I guess if you're going to play wow for a year there is no reason not to get the newest game free. Smart marketing move. Assuming you already wanted to buy Diablo 3 you're looking at $65 so that means you could get a year of WoW for $79 with purchase of Diablo 3.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

16. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 21, 2011, 21:52 Alamar

Hammer wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 21:45:
Alamar wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 21:14:

-Alamar

Depends how you see it. If you always planned to keep on playing WoW anyway, and wanted Diablo III...you're basically getting 3-4 months free.

Well sure, but everyone at Blues knows no one plays WoW anymore : )

-Alamar

15. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 21, 2011, 21:45 Hammer

Alamar wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 21:14:

-Alamar

Depends how you see it. If you always planned to keep on playing WoW anyway, and wanted Diablo III...you're basically getting 3-4 months free.

14. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 21, 2011, 21:16 Alamar

Drezden wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 21:04:
I smell fear of SWTOR.

Naaailed it.

If the sales for the completely fucked up Blu Ray release of Star Wars proves anything. It's that there are people who will buy a Star Wars product just because it's Star Wars. So anyone who has played a Bioware game, or a Kotor game, is going to pick up SWTOR. GW2, as innovative as the combat is, does not have that distinction.

Sure, but Bioware doesn't already have a proven track record with massives... Like... Uh... Or right...

Seriously though, I doubt Blizzard is 'scared' of either game.

-Alamar

13. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 21, 2011, 21:14 Alamar

-Alamar

12. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 21, 2011, 21:04 Trevellian

I smell fear of SWTOR.

Naaailed it.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo