Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Batman: Arkham City Specs

GeForce.com now offers the system specs for the upcoming Windows PC edition of Batman: Arkham City:

Minimum System Requirements

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP, Vista or 7
CPU: Dual-Core CPU 2.4 Ghz
RAM: 2GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA 8800 or ATI 3800 with 512MB of VRAM
Sound: Microsoft Windows XP/Vista or 7 compatible sound card (100% DirectX 9.0c-compatible)
DVD-ROM: Quad-speed (4x) DVD-ROM drive
Hard Drive: 17.5GB free disk space
Input Devices: 100% Windows XP/Vista or 7 compatible mouse and keyboard

Recommended System Requirements

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7
CPU: Dual-Core CPU 2.5 GHz
RAM: 4GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 or ATI Radeon HD 6850 with 768MB+ of VRAM (DirectX 11 compatible)
Sound: Microsoft Windows XP/Vista or 7 compatible sound card (100% DirectX 9.0c-compatible)
DVD-ROM: Quad-speed (4x) DVD-ROM drive
Hard Drive: 17.5 GB free disk space
Input Devices: 100% Windows XP/Vista or 7 compatible mouse and keyboard or Xbox 360 Controller for Windows

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 24, 2011, 13:04 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 11:00:
Keep belittling me to suit your preconceived notions. I enjoy it so much.

I'm not sure how you can say its preconceived, its based on entirely on the content of your posts

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 24, 2011, 11:41 J

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 10:58:
J wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 06:18:
Why must my reason be one that isn't shared across all stores? What difference does that make to the fact that I like using Steam?

Because the whole point of the conversation you chimed in on was why Steam's features would please singleplayer only gamers. That was the entire point I was discussing. So when you come in and say "I am a singleplayer gamer and like Steam" it gives me the impression there is something about Steam that appeals to you as a singleplayer gamer. I wanted to know what that was.

I guess you have nothing though, so... okay?

The original point, which isn't so hard to find as it's on the very same page, was: "It's true though, for singleplayer gamers who don't care about social networking features Steam is really just a hassle."

To which I replied: "Personally, as a player who predominantly plays singleplayer and really doesn't care about social networking features, I like Steam. I don't see it as a hassle at all. I have more storage space and losing or damaging my games is no longer an issue. Perhaps I'm an exception, but I'd still prefer not to be tarred with the same brush."

So let's fast-forward to where we are now. I ask "Why must my reason be one that isn't shared across all stores? What difference does that make to the fact that I like using Steam?"

And you respond with "Because the whole point of the conversation you chimed in on was why Steam's features would please singleplayer only gamers."

So you're saying that I must like Steam for reasons besides the ones I already mentioned because your conversation was about why Steam's features would please singleplayer only gamers.

If anybody can explain that logic to me then I'd be very grateful. I read through the text but it doesn't make a lick of sense.

My original counter-point still stands: I don't see Steam as a hassle.

39. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 24, 2011, 11:00 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 08:52:
Pretty much because StingingVelvet rarrr rarr Steam rarrrrr.

Keep belittling me to suit your preconceived notions. I enjoy it so much.

38. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 24, 2011, 10:58 StingingVelvet

J wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 06:18:
Why must my reason be one that isn't shared across all stores? What difference does that make to the fact that I like using Steam?

Because the whole point of the conversation you chimed in on was why Steam's features would please singleplayer only gamers. That was the entire point I was discussing. So when you come in and say "I am a singleplayer gamer and like Steam" it gives me the impression there is something about Steam that appeals to you as a singleplayer gamer. I wanted to know what that was.

37. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 24, 2011, 08:52 Verno

Pretty much because StingingVelvet rarrr rarr Steam rarrrrr.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

36. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 24, 2011, 06:18 J

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 23:30:
J wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 16:33:
It's relevant for you, sure. However, I wasn't talking about other digital distributors. Your original point was against Steam, and that was what I was addressing. If you're going to try and steer me off course then don't be surprised when I take the wheel back.

I'm not really grasping what you are saying I guess. Why do you like Steam as a singleplayer gamer? Give me a reason that isn't shared across all stores.

35. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 23, 2011, 23:30 StingingVelvet

J wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 16:33:
It's relevant for you, sure. However, I wasn't talking about other digital distributors. Your original point was against Steam, and that was what I was addressing. If you're going to try and steer me off course then don't be surprised when I take the wheel back.

I'm not really grasping what you are saying I guess. Why do you like Steam as a singleplayer gamer? Give me a reason that isn't shared across all stores.

34. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 23, 2011, 23:00 Jerykk

nin, calling someone else a troll..? Rolleyes

Nothing SV has said or done constitutes trolling. He's simply sharing his opinion and explaining why he feels the way he does. You may not agree with him but that doesn't make him a troll.

33. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 23, 2011, 18:55 J

Aw, but nin!!  

32. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 23, 2011, 17:40 nin

Do not feed the troll, J.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

31. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 23, 2011, 16:33 J

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 12:50:
J wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 12:02:
I'm sure that they're not Steam-specific, and I never claimed that they were. I was just affirming that I happen to like Steam. If you don't know what I mean by that, then perhaps a time-out is in order?

Your snarky reply is pretty unwarranted. You said you liked Steam even though you're a singleplayer gamer for reasons X and Y. Pointing out that X and Y apply to every digital distributor is pretty relevant.

30. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 23, 2011, 12:50 StingingVelvet

J wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 12:02:
I'm sure that they're not Steam-specific, and I never claimed that they were. I was just affirming that I happen to like Steam. If you don't know what I mean by that, then perhaps a time-out is in order?

Your snarky reply is pretty unwarranted. You said you liked Steam even though you're a singleplayer gamer for reasons X and Y. Pointing out that X and Y apply to every digital distributor is pretty relevant.

29. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 23, 2011, 12:02 J

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 11:42:
J wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 02:58:
Personally, as a player who predominantly plays singleplayer and really doesn't care about social networking features, I like Steam. I don't see it as a hassle at all. I have more storage space and losing or damaging my games is no longer an issue. Perhaps I'm an exception, but I'd still prefer not to be tarred with the same brush.

The two benefits you list are not at all Steam specific, so I don't know what you mean. GOG or Gamersgate provide the same benefits and are the distribution method I very much prefer for singleplayer games.

28. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 23, 2011, 11:42 StingingVelvet

J wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 02:58:
Personally, as a player who predominantly plays singleplayer and really doesn't care about social networking features, I like Steam. I don't see it as a hassle at all. I have more storage space and losing or damaging my games is no longer an issue. Perhaps I'm an exception, but I'd still prefer not to be tarred with the same brush.

The two benefits you list are not at all Steam specific, so I don't know what you mean. GOG or Gamersgate provide the same benefits and are the distribution method I very much prefer for singleplayer games.

27. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 23, 2011, 11:40 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 04:51:
I agree that having no DRM whatsoever would be ideal but sadly, that's not going to happen anytime soon. If I have to have online-based DRM, I prefer Steam. SecuRom activations offer no benefits whatsoever and you still risk losing the ability to activate your game if the activation servers ever go down, which, given the practices of most publishers, is more likely than the Steam servers ever going down.

The reason I prefer SecuROM is because it's simple. Type in the code, play the game, just like the serials of old. With Steam and other platforms I have to launch a client, deal with signing in, deal with client bugs, forced patching, patching only form their servers, etc. etc. For me it is a hassle while SecuROM is pain-free, other than the threat of them shutting down activations someday (and that is what fixed exes are for).

If the stuff Steam added was of any use to me maybe I would feel different, but it isn't.

26. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 23, 2011, 04:51 Jerykk

Patches that mess with your game or mods are not able to be rolled back. Once you patch that's it. This has already screwed me up on several occasions.

I already noted that as one of the potential downsides. As I mentioned then, patches that break stuff are a problem with the developer, not with the concept of automatic updates.

Can't really argue it's harmful, but I certainly can question how many people give a crap when it comes to "AAA" titles. Having one gaming PC is pretty rare now-a-days, let alone two.

I can't speak for others but I regularly play games at work and the ability to retain my saves between my work PC and my home PC is very nice.

Nothing Steam does for singleplayer gaming comes anywhere close to outweighing the massive downside of DRM, account-based ownership and lessened control over the experience that Steam forces on you, IMO.

I agree that having no DRM whatsoever would be ideal but sadly, that's not going to happen anytime soon. If I have to have online-based DRM, I prefer Steam. SecuRom activations offer no benefits whatsoever and you still risk losing the ability to activate your game if the activation servers ever go down, which, given the practices of most publishers, is more likely than the Steam servers ever going down.

25. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 23, 2011, 02:58 J

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 18:17:
When I say this kind of stuff on here I get endless replies about being a "Steam basher" and shit like that. It's true though, for singleplayer gamers who don't care about social networking features Steam is really just a hassle.

24. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 23, 2011, 01:01 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 20:59:
As for Steam's benefits, those aren't really arguable:

I bet I can argue them!

1) Games are tied to your Steam account, so if you reinstall or upgrade your OS or use a multi-boot setup, you merely need to install Steam to get your games working, rather than reinstalling every game one-by-one.

A benefit, sure, but worth account-based ownership? Not for me.

2) Automatic updates saves you the time and effort of manually searching for and installing patches.

Patches that mess with your game or mods are not able to be rolled back. Once you patch that's it. This has already screwed me up on several occasions.

3) Cloud saves let you retain your progress when playing a game on multiple machines, handy when you play games during lunch at work.

Can't really argue it's harmful, but I certainly can question how many people give a crap when it comes to "AAA" titles. Having one gaming PC is pretty rare now-a-days, let alone two.

4) Achievements are pretty worthless but they do give less creative players extra goals to work towards.

Yeah, irrelevant for me but no negative here. Well, some people dislike multiplayer achievements because they encourage bad play, but whatevs.

Personally, I think the benefits outweigh the downsides.

Nothing Steam does for singleplayer gaming comes anywhere close to outweighing the massive downside of DRM, account-based ownership and lessened control over the experience that Steam forces on you, IMO.

Same goes for Origin, GFWL and anything else similar. Give me a simple SecuROM activation over all of them any day of the week.

23. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 22, 2011, 20:59 Jerykk

Gamersgate doesn't have its own DRM really, as I have explained to you before.

That's stretching it a bit. Officially, it does have DRM but you found an exploit to bypass it. That's great while the exploit still works but there's no guarantee that it will work forever.

Here in the UK, games are significantly cheaper when bought in a box, and boxed copies being tied to a dd service is just nonsensical.
Whether or not Steam provides any real benefits is entirely subjective, as well.

Exact opposite here in the states. GMG is selling pre-orders for Arkham City for less than $40 and there won't be a single retail store that matches that price upon release. As for Steam's benefits, those aren't really arguable:

1) Games are tied to your Steam account, so if you reinstall or upgrade your OS or use a multi-boot setup, you merely need to install Steam to get your games working, rather than reinstalling every game one-by-one.
2) Automatic updates saves you the time and effort of manually searching for and installing patches.
3) Cloud saves let you retain your progress when playing a game on multiple machines, handy when you play games during lunch at work.
4) Achievements are pretty worthless but they do give less creative players extra goals to work towards.

Of course, there are inarguable downsides as well:

1) All your games are tied to your account so if you lose that, you lose all your games.
2) VAC will usually detect when you modify a game's exe or dll files, so the very few mods that do that won't be usable with Steam.
3) Automatic updates can break mods, though that's more of an issue with the patches themselves and not the automatic update process. Automatic updates can also be disabled if you don't want to take any risks.
4) You have to activate your game online once.

Personally, I think the benefits outweigh the downsides.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2011, 21:07.

22. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 22, 2011, 18:17 StingingVelvet

everyone wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 16:55:
It may be a good deal for you , but that doesn't mean it is for everyone else. Here in the UK, games are significantly cheaper when bought in a box, and boxed copies being tied to a dd service is just nonsensical.
Whether or not Steam provides any real benefits is entirely subjective, as well. For me, it's just one more pointless hoop to jump through.

When I say this kind of stuff on here I get endless replies about being a "Steam basher" and shit like that. It's true though, for singleplayer gamers who don't care about social networking features Steam is really just a hassle.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo