Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Portal 2 "Major Update" Free Next Year

Valve announces plans for a second free add-on for Portal 2 coming to their puzzle/platformer early next year. Word is this will include the recently revealed improved editing program:

October 21, 2011 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the second game add-on for the year's highest rated multiplatform game, Portal 2, is in development and targeted for release early next year.

This major update will feature an easy-to-use in-game map editor that will let users design, build and share their own single-player and co-op test chambers with the community, who will be able to view, play and vote on them with a simple click.

Portal 2 was released April 19, and currently holds a Metacritic score of 95%, making it the top-rated multiplatform game of 2011. Its first content update, "Peer Review", came out two weeks ago.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: How about Half-Life... Oct 22, 2011, 10:51 kanniballl

Elessar wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 16:26:
Never mind the fact that they just released FREE DLC that was indicative of quality time spent developing it. So no, they're not just sitting around designing hats/gestures and counting money.

Do you even know if they do or don't have separate teams working on different products? You just assume all resources at Valve are working on Portal 2 content? Highly unlikely. They may deserve some flack for the lack of HL:Ep3 news, but imo gtfo of here with your rants in a thread about MORE FREE updates to an awesome game.

I am quite aware that different teams work on different things.

But the last Episode of Half Life was years ago.

Some sort of announcement at least of another Episode or at least a full game coming down the pipe in X years would be nice.

• Sure, for all I know they have a full dev team working on the next incarnation of Half Life... rebuilding the engine from the ground up. And that they're keeping it a secret.

• Or perhaps they have the minimum team just working on up-keep and brainstorming ideas.

• As a software developer, I know somewhere up the food chain is a person (or a group) that dictates which project will be worked on, which project gets what % of the resources, etc. Someone there needs to say "OK, let's put some of our resources into Half-Life"

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2011, 12:24.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama
    Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Portal 2 "Major Update" Free Next Year Oct 22, 2011, 02:38 Kastagir

Perhaps "boycott" was a poor word to use. I simply haven't liked any of Valve's titles since Half-Life 2 and Portal so I haven't bought them. I likely won't buy any in the future unless they come up with something new that I like, but I would buy HL2:E3 if/when it is ever released. I wouldn't demand that E3 be released before it can be done right any more than I would expect Valve to base their business practices on what I think. I would like them to stop lying about it, though...  

12. Re: How about Half-Life... Oct 22, 2011, 01:22 space captain

Elessar wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 16:36:
    And we wonder why PC Gaming is scoffed at by devs. In an announcement that speaks of upcoming tools to create more content, shortly after free AAA quality dlc, we get complaints and boycotts. I'm sorry to say, but you're all coming across like a bunch of self-entitled brats.

you are incredibly delusional to think you are that important to devs and how they plan their day

Go forth, and kill!

11. Re: Portal 2 Oct 22, 2011, 00:43 Jerykk

Hammer, the Source engine editor, is said to be a bitch and a half to work with, which is why there aren't a ton of maps for Source engine games even with the interest.

Wait, what? There are tons of maps for Source games. Hell, Source-engine games have more custom maps and mods than pretty much any other engine. TF2, L4D, L4D2, HL2, Portal, Portal 2... maps o'plenty. Check out myaperturelabs.com or moddb.com for a sampling.

This may seem extreme, but my boycott of Steam is due to my dislike of the platform and its unfriendliness to third party mods.

Unless a mod involves editing the game's exe or dll files, it should work fine with Steam. Which mods does Steam not like?

10. Re: Portal 2 "Major Update" Free Next Year Oct 21, 2011, 18:50 ViRGE

This should be interesting. Hammer, the Source engine editor, is said to be a bitch and a half to work with, which is why there aren't a ton of maps for Source engine games even with the interest. A new editor that's significantly easier to use could really jumpstart the interest on both the development and player side by allowing for more and better maps.  

9. Re: How about Half-Life... Oct 21, 2011, 17:47 Rhett

I LOVE FREE STUFF!

I don't own Portal 2 anymore... but regardless.. It's Free....man!

8. Re: How about Half-Life... Oct 21, 2011, 17:20 elefunk

Elessar wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 16:36:
    And we wonder why PC Gaming is scoffed at by devs. In an announcement that speaks of upcoming tools to create more content, shortly after free AAA quality dlc, we get complaints and boycotts. I'm sorry to say, but you're all coming across like a bunch of self-entitled brats.
    Yep. Sad. These idiots would rather have a half-hearted sequel made by people who obviously don't want to work on it right now instead of having more free content for easily the best game released all year.

7. Re: Portal 2 "Major Update" Free Next Year Oct 21, 2011, 16:50 jacobvandy

Hell yes, more free DLC!  

6. Re: How about Half-Life... Oct 21, 2011, 16:40 Jow

here, lemme help: I love this game and am excited to see there's more coming. Can't wait.

5. Re: How about Half-Life... Oct 21, 2011, 16:36 Elessar

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

4. Re: How about Half-Life... Oct 21, 2011, 16:27 Kastagir

As I recall, the creative director (?) behind the HL2 story (and Portal) is seriously ill and on a leave of absence. I don't believe this was the chief writer for HL2, and I can't remember his name. I'm fairly certain it is not Marc Laidlaw, but a less well-known individual. I got the strong impression, following such news items, that Gabe Newell and Marc Laidlaw will not continue the HL2 storyline without this individual's contribution and that said individual's "burnout" was the reason for Portal being developed rather than Episode Three.

Gabe has said a number of things that have been contradicted. He said in 2004 that he didn't want to make fans wait 6 years for a sequel to HL2, so he chose an episodic development approach. Seven years later it's hard to see that as anything but a failure or a lie. In May of this year he also said that this model has been completely replaced, though what it has been replaced with is anyone's guess.

Personally, I have not purchased a single Valve title, or anything on Steam, since the Orange Box. And I will not purchase anything from Valve (or on Steam) until HL3 Episode Three is released. This may seem extreme, but my boycott of Steam is due to my dislike of the platform and its unfriendliness to third party mods. My boycott of Valve titles is more to do with a complete lack of interest in anything they've released since HL2 and Portal.

3. Re: How about Half-Life... Oct 21, 2011, 16:26 Elessar

kanniballl wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 16:01:
    Fine, if you want to drop the franchise then so be it... but at least finish off that friggin' story line.

You ended the last Episode of a psuedo cliff-hanger and haven't touched it since.

Stop counting your money and making robot gestures and hats, and finish off the friggin story line.'

I don't care THAT much anymore about the story... but I have a kind of OCD about finishing games that I care(d) about. And thinking back to Half-Life... my mind says "more to come... need to finish off after a cliff hanger." But there's never anything coming.

/Rant
    Never mind the fact that they just released FREE DLC that was indicative of quality time spent developing it. So no, they're not just sitting around designing hats/gestures and counting money.

Do you even know if they do or don't have separate teams working on different products? You just assume all resources at Valve are working on Portal 2 content? Highly unlikely. They may deserve some flack for the lack of HL:Ep3 news, but imo gtfo of here with your rants in a thread about MORE FREE updates to an awesome game.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

2. How about Half-Life... Oct 21, 2011, 16:01 kanniballl

Fine, if you want to drop the franchise then so be it... but at least finish off that friggin' story line.

You ended the last Episode of a psuedo cliff-hanger and haven't touched it since.

Stop counting your money and making robot gestures and hats, and finish off the friggin story line.'

I don't care THAT much anymore about the story... but I have a kind of OCD about finishing games that I care(d) about. And thinking back to Half-Life... my mind says "more to come... need to finish off after a cliff hanger." But there's never anything coming.

/Rant

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

1. Re: Portal 2 "Major Update" Free Next Year Oct 21, 2011, 15:42 Lobster

How many hats?  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo